Simon Monjack -- Possible OD

5/24/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Law enforcement sources tells TMZ there are signs Simon Monjack may have died from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

One well-placed source says, "There were a number of pill bottles on the nightstand in the bedroom, and some were empty."

There is, obviously, an eerie similarity to the death of Monjack's wife, Brittany Murphy, just five months ago.  In her case an array of prescription drugs were found on the nightstand of the same bedroom where Monjack died.  Many of the drugs on Simon's nightstand were the same as the ones found after Brittany died.

One law enforcement source says the two causes of death that seem most plausible at the moment are "natural" and "accidental drug overdose."

Monjack told TMZ recently he had suffered a heart attack during the incident last November when he had a medical emergency aboard an airplane.

Brittany's mother, Sharon Murphy, discovered Monjack's body last night.  She is also the one who found her daughter, Brittany, unconscious and on the floor of the bathroom five months earlier.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned Simon was scheduled to have bypass surgery in September.

truthbetold

Give me a break, I am not one of these idiots who just believes whatever the media throws out there. This guy was still very very young (39 years young) and you mean to tell me that it's natural? NO, it is not natural for anyone to die at 39. Pretty funny it happens 5 months after Britt dies, same room, same drugs. Something smells fishy and it ain't the Long John Silvers baby

LucyLoo

43. Two "overdoses" in the same house only a few months apart? Am I the only one that sees something very WRONG happening here?? I don't believe in coincidences, time for the detectives to earn their money and see who they owed money to. Who may have had it out for them? Two people dying the exact same way only a few months apart.....I ain't buyin it!!!!

Posted at 7:50 AM on May 24, 2010 by John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Detective John,
Have you ever heard of drug addiction? When addicts use drugs there are only a few possible outcomes...recovery, death or jail. Both Brittany and Simon were addicted to opiate painkillers, mixed in with some benzos, which is a very lethal combo. These deaths happen often with the non-famous people too. Being in Hollywood and having your name known doesn't differentiate them from any old addict on the street. They just have better sheets to sleep in...when they sleep. I doubt there is any conspiracy nor did anyone force him to ingest too many prescription meds because he owed money as you suggest. When a druggie owes his dealer money, the dealer stops selling to that druggie and spreads the word to other dealers as well. They don't go to the home and kill their deadbeat customer. Detective John, you watch too much crime drama tv.

snoop1

I think the mom is poisoning them for Brittany's money!!!!!!!!!!

wheelie

Show of hands, who has prescriptions in thier house?
Some people on this site are a waste of life.

Sonja

Not surprising, he and Brit were using together, add grief to things and he's just going to use more, especially if they really did love each other as much as they said. Fell bad for the guy and all the accusations aimed his way, guess they are together now.

Michelle

I kind of wonder if this was some sick way of 'bonding' with his wife after her death.....Simon & Brittany's Mother re-creating her death scene (as his suicide) in an effort to be closer with her. If the both of them are screwed up on drugs & having delusions, it would be very easy to convince the other to 're-create' & go along the same path of death as the one they both loved.

He could have been romanticizing the whole situation and offed himself in a very similar way to which she died, only to be discovered by her mom, as Brittany was.

aquanet

Why is her mother and husband still hanging out together- I said it before, I'll say it again, there is something not on the level with the relationship of these two. I think they have been screwing around together before and after Murphy dies.

SUN

Better check the life insurance policies and the mama.

John

Simon, I hope you're at peace and with Brittany. RIP.

Lil

Well I hope everybody that talked bad about him is happy. After seeing him on Larry Kings show I thought he was one of the most intellegent and charasmatic men I had ever seen. Its not always about looks people. Everybody in hollywood is solely judged on their looks which is so revolting. Thats why all the women mangle themselves to look perfect and instead they look monsterous.
What a waste of talent losing them both. I fell in love with Brittney when she made thea movie with Joe Penny and always thought she was special

moe

He suffered from a broken heart.

kickaboo

May he rest in peace with Britney. People will say what they will, but I think he did love Britney and she him.

NickSunset

I think Simon is guilty of drinking his own cool-aid. Just one less Creepy Screenwriter in the world that won't be missed. He had a heart of a used car salesman.

pattiespups

R.I.P. SIMON, i feel so bad for you i think your heart was broken.
now YOU and BRITTANY ARE TOGETHER. so sad

tracy

KARMA IS A BITCH!!!! I'm sure the mom is next.....