Simon Monjack -- Possible OD

5/24/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Law enforcement sources tells TMZ there are signs Simon Monjack may have died from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

One well-placed source says, "There were a number of pill bottles on the nightstand in the bedroom, and some were empty."

There is, obviously, an eerie similarity to the death of Monjack's wife, Brittany Murphy, just five months ago.  In her case an array of prescription drugs were found on the nightstand of the same bedroom where Monjack died.  Many of the drugs on Simon's nightstand were the same as the ones found after Brittany died.

One law enforcement source says the two causes of death that seem most plausible at the moment are "natural" and "accidental drug overdose."

Monjack told TMZ recently he had suffered a heart attack during the incident last November when he had a medical emergency aboard an airplane.

Brittany's mother, Sharon Murphy, discovered Monjack's body last night.  She is also the one who found her daughter, Brittany, unconscious and on the floor of the bathroom five months earlier.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned Simon was scheduled to have bypass surgery in September.

The Real Victim

What goes around comes around!

Ann

I am very saddenned to hear about the death of Simon Moonjack and Britney Murphy before him. I send my condolences to Simon's family and Britney Murphy's family (especially her mother). It's a terrible tragedy.

And I have one more thought. TMZ, the cruel commenters on this site and other tabloid websites, should be ashamed of themselves. They were very cruel to this man who just lost his wife (from pneumonia as we later found out) and to her mother (who has cancer). I don't know what is wrong with people. Stop speculating and wait until there is actual evidence of wrongdoing. Mr. Monjack probably died of natural causes (e.g., he had heart problesm) or something else related to the tragic and unexpected death of his wife. He should've been treated with sympathy and instead too many were beyeond cruel. And for those who are lashing out against Britney Murphy's mother now--shame on you. This woman has endured terrible tragedy (e.g., the death of a child and a beloved son-in-law and cancer) and deserves all our best wishes.

Marie

What a sad couple Brittany and Simon were!!
I cannot understand why they had to die so young and from drugs.The mother of Brittany Murphy must be devastated right now.The media accused Simon of having an affair with his mother-in-law.Shame on the media for destroying that man's heart.Just like the media destroyed Michael Jackson's heart.Enough is enough already with the media.

NoBreederRat

I don't think Sharon killed him especially if she was - by TMZ fan opinion - having an affair with him and he was set to have bypass surgery. It's good that he's gone because it's what Brit would have wanted. Karma is a b*tch.

jpm4444

I'm in the medical field and it's pathetic doctors give out dangerous prescription drugs to young people like water.

I'm sorry but when young people have heart attacks, its' rarely natural.

In some age groups, prescription drugs are now the #1 killer.

From Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole, to Brittany Murphy; these young people don't need massive doses of drugs. Like I said before; this wont' be the last death; not by a long shot.

jay b.

They couldn't give me that house for free.

leah

Very sad " they are together forever now " my heart breaks for everyone in this . Sharon who has had cancer or even still has it would not want to kill her kid and her husband thats just dumb , she is all alone now thats why her husband was staying with sharon beacuse she was by her self and had noone , Brittany was her only child the mother has noone now , I will not be shocked she is next to go .

sending prayers to her

LOL

TOO MUCH KOINKIDINKS..THE COUPLE WERE FLAT OUT PILL POPPERS!!SIMPLE AS THAT

Luluie

Whatever happened has happened. I have to agree with many on here about the media. The media just picks and picks at celebs no different than school yard bullies.

Irene

Does anyone know what happened to Brittany's birth father? I don't believe I ever heard that story...divorce?? death??

me

IF I WAS BRITTANY'S MOTHER I WOULD GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE AFTER FINDING TWO PEOPLE DEAD IN THAT HOUSE.

donna

Hmmm...sounds odd!

Missy

Saw Britney wacky mum on Larry King. She appeared like she was on drugs as well. If she continues down this path she will be next.

Ziggy

Thanks TMZ for insinuating he died of a drug overdose, when in reality the guy was overweight with heart problems and scheduled for heart surgery and most likely died of a massive heart attack. He has stressed out beyond belief. He was still grieving for the loss of his young wife and was severely depressed. Plus, add the fact the paparrazzi hounded him day and night.

The Mom is a weak person who wasn't coping very well with the loss of her beautiful daughter. I saw an interview of them on LKL. The Mom and son-in-law had a close relationship like mother and son. They relied on each other for strength. Disgusting ignorant people automatically think there's a sexual relationship between the two. It's sad Brittany's mother found him dead too. Poor woman, I hope she finds strength to see this tragedy through.

LOL

PPL..ITS RX PILLS..THE MOM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT..ITS PRESCRIBED TO YOU..THE MOM DIDNT GO TO THE DRS N ASKED FOR THESE RXS..THESE 2 SOULS DID..THEY DID IT TO THEMSELVES..2 WORDS PILL POPPERS..I KNOW PPL LIKE THAT