Jesse James' Stepmom -- Abuse Claim is 'Crap'

5/26/2010 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jesse James' former stepmom claims Jesse's allegation that his dad broke his arm when he was 7 years old "is a bunch of crap."

Janina James Coan, who was involved with Jesse's dad since Jesse was 6, tells TMZ she was "appalled" by what Jesse said about Larry James during the "Nightline" interview.

Coan -- who married Larry when Jesse was in high school but eventually divorced -- tells us Jesse had a variety of injuries -- including broken bones -- as a kid, because he was into motocross.   But she scoffs at the notion that Jesse was abused.

Coan says, "Larry was the most caring father, the kindest father who would do anything for anybody.  He loved Jesse to death and would brag about him all the time."

Coan does say, however, that Jesse and his dad don't get along.  The tension started, she claims, when Jesse was 16.  She claims Jesse's dad found out his son and a friend allegedly robbed a Fotomat and called the cops on him.  Coan says Jesse ended up in juvenile hall and was very upset that his dad turned him in.

julie

How does she know what took place when he was 7? She wasn't married to him and didn't know what took place then. The only one he needs to apologize to is Sandra and his children, everyone else needs to butt out. So he's a pig and really messed up, seems he has his own demons to deal with not yours too.

JLS

And you all believe exactly what anyone says? UNBELIEVABLE! How stupid is that? Consider the source, motives, etc.

Just because someone says it doesn't make it truthful. OMG!

Cindy

The mother's always deny abuse, because they know they too are culpable for not having done anything about it. Shame on her. Typical for mother's of children who are abused by their fathers.

And likely, she was/is abused too.

Casey

Error is human and we're all human.

Eury

Wow what a bunch of judgemental people! No one here knows the full truth about what happened in this man's life. It says more about the person who judges another than the person being judged.

Christina G.

I suspect Jesse's cheating ways have more to do with his relationship with his mother while growing up (or lack thereof) than his father. If Jesse said he was physically abused as a child, he probably was. Adults generally don't throw their parents under the bus unless they are telling the truth. Of course, one child's physical abuse is another child's strict discipline. Memories are often subjective.

Rose

I do not know what father breaking your arm or abusing you has to do with cheating on your wife and being so irresponsible! Having said that - I DO believe he was abused and just because STEP -mommy dearie says it did not happen does not mean it did'nt.

Anonymous

Compulsive liars cannot keep their facts straight, will blame someone else and learn to do this because a parental figure does it. Neither Larry or Jesse can be believed.

Cat

Give Jesse James a break! What are you all free from sin? Yeah, how often do abusers admit that they abused? Rarely!

eve

He who is without sin my cast the first stone.

What's wrong with this world is people judging others and knowing they too have done wrong in their own life.

The lady asked him why he went to rehab. He didn't say I cheated on Sandy because my dad beat me.

It seems to me the guy has lived a hard life before.... probably drugs, whores and God only knows what else but then he met Sandra. He didn't know how to react knowing someone so beautiful and kind could love someone like himself.

He apparently has some care in his heart. He seems to truly LOVE his children. He brought them up SEVERAL times in the interview! He's just a human that has openly admitted to his flaws. Yes I do believe he was forced into telling them but he did it and that should be the end of the story.

Abe

Here's what I hope...

When little Louie grows up, he goes on national TV and blames all his problems on Jesse James for being an abusive father. That would be a just dessert.

JESSE JAMES IS A CONTEMPTIBLE PIECE OF CAMEL CRAP.

J

LOL- I notice that everyone is conveniently passing by the "robbed the fotomat" bit; That's about the same age when he was stealing Scotty Hamiltons' Porsche- or so Jesse is so fond of telling the story......

The dude is a career criminal, cleaned up a bit by some fancy marketing- but you can tell by his dead eyes that he's just a shark, circling for his next victim......

koots_bc

I believe Jesse, my god people he made a mistake get over it already. And what kind of father is going to admit that be beat his kid, not many I guess, so of course they are going to deny it til the bitter end. Keep the faith.....thing have a way of working themselves out in the end

Jana

Yes and to this day at 82 my dad still denies that he was filled with hatred, he was mean, and that he abused his wife and kids. No one is going to admit that the beat their kids or sure I whipped them when the needed it is what my dad always said but there is a different in a whipping and a beating when you are left with bruises and blood brought to the surface and when someone who is made at the world is taking it out on his children. To the day my mom died after he was arrested/jailed for abuse he still mentally and emotionally abused my mom. My mom was sick for 24 years of her life and home bound and bedridden for the last 5 to 10 years and I can not tell you how many phone calls and how many time I had to drive to my moms just to calm her down, give her her Xanax and heart meds, massage her back with lotionand just sit by her side until she calmed down because of his mental/emotional abuse and lack of care. While he was out in his shop/hide away and would not even come in when my mom paged him 7 and 8 times. She called the preached to ask him to come in and he did not and she called me and when I arrive he said well I see she call you too. The next day my mom was admitted to the hospital and had a mild heart attack. Oh did I mention while he was out in his hide away he was talking to his woman. Who he told me about on the Monday after we buried my Mom on Friday and he married her 8 months later. He would have married her sooner but it wouldn't look right as he was a Sunday School Supertendent and deacon..................

Pinto

Maybe his attempt at acting will get him an enema oops emmy,what JERK!!