Hospital: Coleman's Ex Had Right to Decide His Fate

6/3/2010 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0528_gary_coleman_BN_Getty_03Gary Coleman gave his ex-wife Shannon Price permission to make medical choices for him -- including life or death -- according to the Utah hospital where Gary died.

Utah Valley Regional Medical Center released a statement saying Gary had signed an "Advanced Health Care Directive that granted Shannon Price permission to make medical decisions on his behalf if he was unable to do so."

Hospital officials say that document remains in effect, regardless of marital status -- unless the patient changes it.

Price's right to make Gary's medical choices was called into question when it was revealed that they had secretly divorced in 2008.

bumpasses

Where was Mom and Dad when he filed for emancipation ..ouch..com on start reporting the truth JJew Fu$#x @ TMZ..Eat My @$$ hoooole...There I said it,..

Noah

There's your poa!

electriczipper

yeah his parents want justice allright,,they want to suck up any money that might be laying around.

Professor Obvious

Gary had signed an "Advanced Health Care Directive that granted Shannon Price permission to make medical decisions on his behalf if he was unable to do so."...........I'm no legal genius but I doubt that someone who has suffered severe brain trauma and is essentially brain dead can be considered competent enough to sign such a do***ent. I'm calling BS on this.

Professor Obvious

^^^ How annoying. The word TMZ censored was D o c u m e n t

Prince Von A-Hole

Only idiots calling anything into question was tmz

Tina

I agree, going on NATIONAL TV on DIVORCE COURT is not exactly secret....it came up right away on youtube when I googled "Gary Coleman Divorce". I also think that it is strange that when he was alive she "didn't want to see the blood".....He supposedly fell AFTER he left the room, so she had already SEEN the blood if she was able to direct the officers to where he was, so what was the problem with seeing it??? Plus, he didn't remember what happened?? It doesn't add up.

Una

I realize that this post is long but it can’t be helped. As a survivor of a subarachnoid bleed, I am deeply disturbed by the attacks against Shannon Price. I must speak in her defense because I can no longer watch this travesty of justice silently.

On the afternoon of Nov. 4th I noticed that I had a headache. No big deal. People get headaches all the time so I took two headache tablets and continued with my regular routine. By that evening I noticed that the over-the-counter medication had not resolved my headache. I wasn’t too terribly concerned so I took two more before going to bed. I slept through the night but by 7:00 AM I noticed that the headache had intensified. By this time I instinctively realized that something was seriously wrong and I asked my husband to call 911. I was transported to our local ER where I was diagnosed with a brain bleed and I realized that I was in serious trouble.

As I was being loaded on a helicopter for transport to another hospital my husband asked me if I wanted him to call my sister. I said “no”. My husband may not have agreed with my decision but as my husband and the named Conservator of My Person in my Living Will, he had a fiduciary responsibility to honor my wishes. This wasn’t what any of us think is right, it is about Shannon honoring Gary’s wishes whether she agreed with them or not. If I no longer trusted my husband to carry out my wishes, I had the opportunity to change the terms of my Directive before the incident, especially if we had divorced. I also had an opportunity to tell medical staff that I had changed my mind. I consciously chose not to do so. Gary had the same opportunity and he chose to make the same decision.

As one would expect, a neurosurgical team was immediately called in to repair the bleed and I was transferred to the ICU unit. From what I’ve been told, two weeks later I decided to get out of bed in the middle of the night without the aid of a nurse. Unfortunately, I then ruptured one of seven aneurysms and fell to the floor. A nurse found me unresponsive and without vital signs at 2:00 AM, dragged me out of the bathroom, performed CPR and called the surgical team who intubated me and performed a craniotomy to repair the damage. Based on the injuries I am still recovering from, I did NOT fall forward as some have suggested.

I woke up in bed with absolutely no memory of the event. All I remember is that I was sleeping in bed and then I was sleeping in bed with a monster of a headache. According to medical records I had to be placed in restraints for a while because, for some unknown reason, I kept trying to get up. Am I to assume that the medical staff hit me in the back of the back of the head because they found my need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night inconvenient? Wait, maybe it was my husband. Maybe he snuck back in the hospital, hit me in the head and somehow managed to make the two hour drive back home to answer the phone while I was being resuscitated. And, of course, the surgical team had less than honorable intentions for placing me in restraints. Surely, it could not have been in my best interest, especially since I managed to survive a second bleed, a rare occurrence indeed.

Since I still have three aneurysms that are inoperable at this time, I must trust my husband to honor my wishes. If he had called my sister against my wishes, I would have lost trust in him and communicated my distrust to the hospital staff. In that case, they would ignore his decisions based on rule of law. Unfortunately, all this drama has made me fearful for him in the event that I have another aneurysm rupture. I don’t want him to have to deal with the same drama you people are creating for Shannon.

I am terribly sorry about what happened to Gary but the truth is the truth. If he did not trust Shannon to abide by his wishes or to make his best interest a priority, he would have removed her as Custodian of His Person, chosen another Custodian and spent his time elsewhere.

You have absolutely no right to judge Shannon without all the evidence and, without a doubt, you are not the people with the right to investigate or make a final determination on the matter. Certainly, I am not the only person in this position. All of us are being adversely and unnecessarily affected by all this drama. I hope you are all happy for giving us reason to fear for those we love. Thank you for depriving us of the peace that is rightfully ours based on the decision I chose to make.

gigi

Some people are saying he was not competant to sign the Advance Health Care Directive. Duh. He is suppose to sign the Advance Health Care Directive early on, when he was mentally capable of making that decision. Not right after the accident happened. Also, considering he hit his head and was bleeding, that part of the brain is not going to be working. Nerve cells can't communicate,and brain cells are being killed due to lack of oxygen. So of course, he is not going to remember what happened to him. His level of consiousness is altered.

ManiacalZebra

I find it very funny that people think that his life could have been saved by applying pressure to his head. He died of an intracranial hemorrhage, not exsanguination (bleeding out). Do they really think that she could have reached inside his skull to apply pressure?

Many have made the point that she shouldn't have been there since they were divorced, yet, she was living there in the house, and the domestic violence charge that HE faced last year shows that they were still together then. He certainly spent a lot of time living with someone he divorced. Perhaps, he still loved her, in spite of any differences they had. Plus, many are forgetting that he had a seizure at a TV studio that she couldn't have possibly have caused.

Just let the professionals investigate. The "professional investigative skills" of many posters leaves a lot to be desired.

M

Una

50. Thank you, Una, for that post. There are so many overopinionated idiots making posts here, assuming something "sinister" had to happen, when they have NO IDEA what health problems a person can go through. Just because he didn't survive like Bret Michaels doesn't mean anything; he's a miracle, and the exception, rather than the rule. And Lisa, some of us don't listen to what "some people say"; we'd like to hear the facts from the people who were actually there!
Posted at 7:11 AM on Jun 3, 2010 by M

********************************************

Thank you, M for your response. Few choose to live in a vegetative state. If that had happened to Gary, none of these no compassion, no sympathy and no clue idiots would be providing long term care for him. No, Sir, they would be too busy on TMZ judging and criticizing the job Shannon was or was not doing. I am so glad I did not have to be subjected to their attitudes at bedside for three months.

Una

Thank you for your response, M. I am so thankful that I didn't have to be subjected to those attitudes at my bedside for 3 months. Very few choose to live in a vegetative state. If that to Gary, you bet these no compassion, no sympathy and no clue idiots would not be available to take care of us. They would be too busy spending their time on TMZ complaining about the job Shannon was either doing or not doing. Thank you for helping to restore my faith in humanity.

Uh

No kidding? If you'd read the real news once in awhile, you would have known that..

who-Dey

While she didn't do crap from him at home to save him, apparently it's how she normally acted whenever Rescue/Cops were called in the past - per an officer that he responded to calls in the past to the house. There's no doubt in my mind she sucks and is a selfish POS and a leach. None.

BUT, if he had a DNR listing her, then that's the bottom line - he gave her permission to pull the plug. This isn't California, I'm sure there was the due diligence by the hospital on the obtaining the DNR. Also, the doctors would have had to had pretty much certain doubt through scans & testing that brain function was completely compromised before they "opened the door" on discussing the DNR & removing life support. I've been down that same road & I'm sure others reading this have, too....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments