« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Capriati Family -- Prescription Meds Caused OD

6/28/2010 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jennifer Capriati's family says the former tennis star is still hospitalized after an overdose this weekend -- and they say prescription meds are to blame.

0628_jennifer_capriati_EX_getty

TMZ broke the story -- Jennifer was taken to a hospital early Sunday morning when paramedics responded to a call for an accidental overdose.

Jennifer's family tells us she is "recuperating at a South Florida hospital from an accidental overdose of medication prescribed to Jen by her personal physicians."

They were not specific about what drugs she was prescribed.

Jennifer has admitted suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

mary

She's most likely on Ambien. This is a over prescribed drug for sleeping. All the recent young celebs who have died have had Ambien, among other drugs, at their bedside. Many people, a relative of mine was one, also died while taking this drug. One of the prescribed drugs that Lindsay Lohan has allowed to keep taking is Ambien. There is a written side effect by the manufacturer of this drug----suicidal thoughts. My relative had built up an immunity to the correct dosage and was taking a high dosage. It truly changes the chemical make-up of one's mind.

Ewelina

I dont get it, why so many people nowadays take drugs....more and more people die because of OD

Jomm

<<< Post #8 took the words out of my mouth. I guess the days of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY are over. Maybe Dr. Conrad Murray is to blame? Makes sense...doesn't it??
>>>>> WRONG!! Conrad Murray INJECTED someone which means HE IS THE BLAME. WHen someone just goes and takes pills, that is on that person. BIG DIFFERENCE.

electriczipper

another lost soul who only wanted to be a banker...

G.R.

Another "Accidental Celeb OD". Nothing accidental about not following drug intake directions. Atleast she will live to do it again and appear on TMZ again.

Leave Jennifer Alone!

When Owen Wilson had his OD and when Artie Lange stabbed himself while high on heroin, those stories were dropped by TMZ almost as soon as they were reported.

What happened to Harvey Levin's "zone of privacy" when it comes to suicide attempts/ODs, or does that only apply to men?

Leave this woman alone!

Superman

You can't go back and change the past. BTW, she's rich. Why should she feel she screwed-up her life?!? She needs Jesus.

Lido

Here was the procedure for Capriati...

1. Got busted for pot

2. Sent to shrink

3. Shrink prescribes SSRI Anti-Depressants for her

4. She takes them, they have slow fuse LSD type qualities

5. Suicidal ideadtion symptoms from the drugs start to kick in.

6. Over time, the ideations overwhelm her

7. She attempts suicides with these drugs

8. The way the story is reported here, a simpleton would assume she accidently OD'd on blood pressure medication or something

9. Message here is to stay from Shrinks, they'll ruin a person.

electriczipper

22. Why does TMZ show such a double-standard when it comes to women celebrities and their emotional problems/possible drug issues?

Leave this woman alone!

Posted at 12:14 PM on Jun 28, 2010 by Leave Jennifer Alone!

noone cares about artie lang and owen wilson,,hell they could have killed themselves and noone would care..we care about jennifer because she has a nice rack and likes to party

Chia

Well thank God they are perscribed by a doctor. No one has ever misused prescriptions.

I'm a crazy person...

@ Post #20 (Jomm): You're right. My bad. I'm SURE MJ didn't have an assortment of drug addictions leading one of the most recognized and beloved celebrities with limitless power and money to get WHATever he wanted WHENever he wanted from WHOMever he wanted AS MANY TIMES as he wanted to his own self-inflicted demise. No one knows what happened that night but MJ and CM and no one ever will (trust me). What the world that doesn't live in LaLa Land DOES know is that MJ was an UNBELIEVABLY talented pop sensation with an UNBELIEVABLY massive variety of drug addictions and freakish character issues. I feel bad for MJ, but let's not pretend that he was just laying there and some crazy doctor did something against MJs will. Grow up.

Brian

Jeniffer get well... really well, not just a recovery from the overdose. You are a nice person and the world needs you!

Darlene Horton

Hi Jennifer, I just wanted you to know that I said a special prayer for you today and that--"God Loves You"! Through God all things were made; without God nothing was made that has been made.John 1:3. God is absolutely supreme over everything! God is greater than creation. This means there is nothing in my life: no cir***stance or crisis, no habit or heartache, no sickness or grief, nothing visable or invisible--nothing that is greter than God! What are you facing that is greater than you are? A habit?A person?A problem? He is your creator and He Loves you so much and He will take control over every part of your life if you will let Him. Don't end your life--you are important to God!I will continue to pray for you and I hope that I hear from you, but if I don't I will feel that I told you what God wanted me to tell you and I hope that you listen to Him. God bless and please remember God loves you more than any one else. Blessings!

gayle

This girl has always been unstable!!!!!!!!!!

Shea

Hasn't she had problems all along?
Guess nothing has changed with her over the last 20 years. Lindsay, take note!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments