« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Derek Fisher: I'm Staying with the Lakers

7/12/2010 5:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Derek Fisher has officially decided to remain with the Los Angeles Lakers -- and  the person who had the biggest impact on his decision was his friend and teammate Kobe Bryant

0712_derek_fisher_lakers_Getty_EX_01

Fisher tells TMZ, "I have decided to continue with Kobe, continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles."

He adds, "While this may not be the most lucrative contract I've been offered this off season, it is the most valuable."

As we first reported, Fisher was being courted by LeBron James' new squad -- the Miami Heat -- but ultimately decided to stay in L.A.

"At the end of the day, there's one person I could not turn away from," Fisher tells us. "Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made. He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Howard

way to go fish.

Geoff

I am a huge Derek Fisher fan, part of me is very happy he is staying in LA the other part of me is worried he will be stuck with a "can't without Kobe" tag.

shad

Thanks for the info ESPN!! I mean TMZ. HEY If I want this Ill go to ESPN.com...TMZ just keep posting stories about how wrong prop 8 i n california is so I can laugh at all you hipocrites. GO CARRIE PREJEAN AND TRADIONAL MARRIGE!!! Leave the sports to ESPN

Truth

WELL, OF COURSE.. THERE'S MORE TO A WINNING TEAM THAN 3 HIGHLY PAID DOUCHE BAGS SLAPPED 2GETHER REPPED BY JESSE JACKSON, HEAD OF THE SLAVE UNION.

Klipper

Dumb decision. The Heat are pretty much a lock to win the next several championships. They're a freaking All-Star team, basically. It's ridiculous.
Sure, the Finals will still be LA vs. Miami, but Miami will make short work of them.

La La Land

Good. Now When King James wins the championship Kobe wont have any excuses..Lebron will dominate, and then tell the cavs owner to spit shine his N7ts.. Cleveland fans are garbage too.

I hope Lebron has the best year of his like to show those ungrateful losers in Cleveland and that ungrateful loser who owns the team..

At

Good choice. The Heat are hyped up so much it will be fun to watch them fail.

NTXC8ED

Loyalty- 1, Betrayal- Lebron

ntvnat

He's not a helpless female, so he doesn't have to worry about his an|al ra|pist ba|stard teammate Kobe Bryant. That's a good thing. :]

electriczipper

this all translates to Miami offered him next to nothing so he is going back to LA for little something

CCC

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Way to go fish. Stay where the bling is. As for those who say that Miami is going to win the next few championships, keep dreaming. Sometime too many superstars on one team will kill the team. Everyone thought that when the Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone and the Glove Gary Payton playing together it was a sure thing to win. Look what happened to them. Sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth as the old saying goes. I've been a Laker fan all of my life, even before Magic and Kareem, and that series killed me. I hope Miami isn't in for a rude awakening, but I still have to say, GOOOO LAKERS!!!!!

yoohoo

..love you Kobe,the 'Black Mombaa' hey Kobe text me something man' i'll text you back something witty, Yea..

PhilipMarkum

*** HE IS A LOSER ****

gossipgirl86

Posted at 1:35 PM on Jul 12, 2010 by Klipper

You couldn't of said of said it better!

dan the man

Heat might not win this year, but they will win a few championships.
Fisher also stayed with the Lakers because he sucks and wouldn't start for any other team. He makes clutch shots but PG's abuse him on a daily basis.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments