Brittany Murphy, Husband's Deaths -- the Mold Factor

7/25/2010 3:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The investigation into Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack's deaths is now being handled by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, TMZ has learned ... and it's all because of mold found in their home.

0723_simon_monjack_brittany_murphy_EX_getty
Law enforcement sources tell TMZ the issue of mold in the house came up early during the investigation into Brittany's death -- but it was deemed "not to be a contributing factor."

Then when Simon passed away a few months later, we're told the issue came up again -- but Brittany's mom, Sharon, wouldn't let the L.A. County Coroner's Office in to investigate the mold. Now, we're told, Sharon has agreed to let Public Health investigators into the home.

Mold could be relevant to Simon and Brittany's respiratory health. Pneumonia was a cause of death for both of them.

We're also told Simon's mother, Linda Monjack is fully supportive of this move, and will be flying from Europe so she can be close to the investigation.

UPDATE: A rep for Sharon tells TMZ, "I have never been personally asked by the Coroner or anyone from the Health Department to come and inspect my home for mold ... to the best of my knowledge there has been no evidence of mold at the Murphy residence."

Muppet

Wow! The comments here are very telling of how far society has fallen. To think that anyone that dies doesn't just die of an illness but someone must have had a hand in killing them, how very sad.

Roy Schwartz

You can read about the connection between mold and health problems and see if you're in danger here:

Anonymous

Mold is bad. Period. S0-Cal is especially bad for mold because of the marine layer. I moved into an apartment for the summer that smelled musty when I moved in. I also heard a faint dripping in one of the walls. I should have known to get out then. Then I got sick, really sick, but I couldn't get better no matter how much I took care of myself. In fact, when I went home and took long naps, I would actually wake up feeling sicker. My boyfriend got sick too, and since he was over a lot he started showing symptoms too. We couldn't get better, and in fact, we got progressively worse. It got to the point where I couldn't walk more than 50 feet and I was wheezing for air and I was constantly thirsty. After going to countless doctors, my boyfriend (a biochemist) realized what the problem was. We immediately got a mold test, went to a doctor, and got diagnosed. I moved out of there IMMEDIATELY and we both had to take steroids for our lungs. I progressively got better, but it took about a month and a half until I felt really functional again, and about a year until I felt like myself again. Mold is no joke. The weird thing is that my housemate never got sick. I think since she never got sick initially (i.e. her immune system was never compromised) and since she slept with her windowns open and away from the wall that I think was contaminated saved her.

lesa manger

When Britney died at first they did not say she died from mold. Then here her husband died from the same complications? now there saying mold? How can two people (young) at that died from mold and they had money you would think that they wouldve had the house inspected before they moved in. I think that it was some insurance money involved. So who got to cash in for all that money. I think Britney had her husband down for the beneficiary- but if her husband died the mom could cash in.Follow the money honey.

lesa manger

Her mama is the mold. She is the one that killed them i dont care what no one says it was her. if it was the mold then why come she has'nt died yet? she's still in the house aint she? it was the mama!!!

erte

12 years ago my brother had a serious pneumonia. He had to to be in intensive care for over a month and none of the doctors knew what todo, no antibiotic helped. He recovered slowly. Before he started to work again, his studio studio was renovated and the workers found a vast quantity of mold behind a stucco wall.

NoBreederRat

Very interested in how this turns out. Several famous people in Cali have had issues with mold where they couldn't even sell their homes. So the claim is not unfounded.

Black mold, a.k.a. toxic mold, can kill. A lot of times you may smell it but not see it because it can grow inside the walls or under the flooring of the home. It usually facilitates a variety of health problems: allergies, respiratory issues, nausea, weakened immune system. But I still believe drug abuse is a primary factor here in these deaths.

Again, we have a pneumonia vaccine. There is no reason anyone should get pneumonia.

urbusted

Does anyone know, did they have pets? If so, the pets should have have gotten sick first,they are smaller.

Vanny

I was starting to wonder if there wasn't some type of poisoning involved. It's just to many simalarities.

Midas

"Molds are ubiquitous in nature, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems.

Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. Some studies claim that exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure, e.g. daily workplace exposure, may be particularly harmful. Research on the health effects of mold has not been conclusive. The term "toxic mold" refers to molds that produce mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, and not to all molds in general.

Mold in the home can usually be found in damp, dark or steam filled areas e.g. bathroom or kitchen, cluttered storage areas, recently flooded areas, basement areas, plumbing spaces, areas with poor ventilation and outdoors in humid environments. Symptoms caused by mold allergy are watery, itchy eyes, a chronic cough, headaches or migraines, difficulty breathing, rashes, tiredness, sinus problems, nasal blockage and frequent sneezing. In extremely rare cases, over-exposure to mold may result in bucal mold growth leading to death by asphyxiation.
"

Miche

: MOULD

Post-It

WOW, it's a shame that so many people continue to post that they were druggies who died from drugs...then #83 even goes as far as saying Brittany's been a cocaine addict and Rx opiate addict for years and decided to self detox by going cold turkey and that gave her pneumonia!! First off, going cold turkey does NOT give you pneumonia - especially cocaine, there are no withdrawals when you quit doing cocaine - most RX pills have withdrawal symptoms but not pneumonia AND if everyone would start using their brains they would see both of them had autopsy results that state drugs were in their system but in the proper doses, there were no toxic levels that would have killed them and the levels show they were not addicts!! But no, all the bone heads will keep saying whatever they feel like even though it's not true!!
Seriously, why are there more and more people in this world without smarts or common sense?!
As far as the mold goes, it's worth checking out to see if in fact it did have a hand in their death. If it did, let's get educated and prevent these senseless deaths!

Belladonna

Only if her mother's name is MOLD! Why would two young, healthy people die and not the mother??? She's lives there as well.

Cookie

Aww... That's probably also what caused her depression in the first place.

Dani

Didn't read the comments, nor am I sticking around to read any after posting my comment.

Just wanted to say it's a relief it wasn't drugs or something sinister and awful in that respect yet, to be mold?!?!? Wow, something you really don't expect in million dollar homes. Lesson for all. Doesn't matter how much or how little you make. Mold can be a hidden danger to us all. With that said, RIP you two and mom, get out of that house now!!!