Ellen on California Gay Marriage Ruling -- 'Equality Won'

8/4/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Moments ago, a federal judge overturned California's ban on same-sex marriages -- and just seconds after the news broke, Ellen DeGeneres was already celebrating ... via Twitter.

Ellen DeGeneres Gay Rights

Ellen just posted the message, "This just in: Equality Won!"

And she isn't the only star excited about the ruling ... Kelly Osbourne just posted, "So happy over the news on prop8 its about time!"

Kim Kardashian: "Prop 8 was struck down! This news is amazing!!!! Its about time! Congrats to everyone!"

Shanna Moakler: "Tonight we celebrate! EQUALITY and LOVE for all!"

Ricky Martin: "YEAHHHHH!!!!! #prop8unconstitutional Moving Forward!!!!!!!!"

Milla Jovovich: Yay! Finally ppl r being treated equally! And CA is cool again!

Rose McGowan: Yay! No more Prop H8! I wanna be a flower girl in a wedding asap!

Olivia Munn: Prop 8 Overturned!!! Equal rights for everyone! Nice to be out of the 1950s..

Paris Hilton: What a huge historical day for equal rights in this country! They finally overturned Prop 8! There shouldn't be a law on true love. :)

Sophia Bush: A MAJOR step forward. Everyone deserves the right to love whomever they choose. I am proud to be from Cali again!

Story developing ...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Angelino

That is nice and all, but why is TMZ showing a picture of Barbara Barrie from "Suddenly Susan"?

Elsa

We do live in a Tyranny afterall... Where the spoken voice of the public with their marjority votes, means nothing.
Like it was going to turn out any other way though.

I dont care about the issue, but why bother anymore. The game is rigged.

656

APPEAL THIS CRAP! 52% of californians voted YES! what happened to "the people"

neither of these two sluts

I am gay and do not believe in Gay Marriage for the simple fact that I dont need anyones permission to be with who I choose...My partner and I have been together 25 years and we have taken care of all things we need to take care of...we made an iron clad will...I have power of attorney over his health as he does mine and no one is allowed to interfere with our wishes. I left my family out of my will on purpose as so did he. And we feel we are already partnered and will be for life....may i say our life insurance will also benefit each other..I dont need some idiot nation to tell me how and wom to love..that is giving them so much power over our lives>

Lil

Does this mean the Brangelinas get married now!
Its about time they make all those kids legal.

chris

This is GREAT NEWS! Hopefully this will be LAW throughout the ENTIRE US!

Not for nothin' but....the straights havent done that great of a job with marriage - give it to us gays, we'll fix it for you! The straight world has a 50% divorce ratio....not so good if you ask me!

At

Laws don't mean **** in this pathetic country. It is run by a few rich a-holes.

Mikey

Homosexuals have mental problems. Look what happen to Lindsay Lohan when she turned lesbian.

Sheila Shigley

The ruling is very undemocratic! Prop 8 was passed by MAJORITY of the voters and if one person's decision can prevail most of the people's decision, we are talking about dictatorship here! No matter if you like Prop 8 or not, it was passed by a democratic process and we have to respect democracy!

CC

Rewarding homos for their deviant lifestyle is not something I think America is all about. It says a lot about our judicial system when one person can overrule the will of millions. Not what I'd consider a Democracy.

Welcome to the new America which is ruled by the will of the Government and not the will of the people!

Phreaky

Shanna Moakler = the worst mother in the world. Maybe next you should campaign to get equal rights for pigs so you could be treated equally.
Nice to see you could get out of bed long enough to tweet about this, or did you...
Do you even know where your kids are?

dukeran

Most of you people in Cali are crazy!

Ses

Great, now that we got that out of the way. I want to be able to marry boys. Lifetime member of NAMBLA and we have rights too. I have the right to love whomever I want, and I love boys. I also love animals and may want to marry later on down the road, but first i must fight for my right to bang a boy!

RY

Wow, why even vote then?

konaehukai

Good for the Judge. It doesn't matter that 52 percent of the bigots in California voted for this. The constitution superceeds over states rights and this clearly violated the 14th amendment's equal protection clause. I would really hate to see what thos country would look like with the religious zealots making all the rules. I'd imagine it would look much like the middle east.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments