Ellen on California Gay Marriage Ruling -- 'Equality Won'

8/4/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Moments ago, a federal judge overturned California's ban on same-sex marriages -- and just seconds after the news broke, Ellen DeGeneres was already celebrating ... via Twitter.

Ellen DeGeneres Gay Rights

Ellen just posted the message, "This just in: Equality Won!"

And she isn't the only star excited about the ruling ... Kelly Osbourne just posted, "So happy over the news on prop8 its about time!"

Kim Kardashian: "Prop 8 was struck down! This news is amazing!!!! Its about time! Congrats to everyone!"

Shanna Moakler: "Tonight we celebrate! EQUALITY and LOVE for all!"

Ricky Martin: "YEAHHHHH!!!!! #prop8unconstitutional Moving Forward!!!!!!!!"

Milla Jovovich: Yay! Finally ppl r being treated equally! And CA is cool again!

Rose McGowan: Yay! No more Prop H8! I wanna be a flower girl in a wedding asap!

Olivia Munn: Prop 8 Overturned!!! Equal rights for everyone! Nice to be out of the 1950s..

Paris Hilton: What a huge historical day for equal rights in this country! They finally overturned Prop 8! There shouldn't be a law on true love. :)

Sophia Bush: A MAJOR step forward. Everyone deserves the right to love whomever they choose. I am proud to be from Cali again!

Story developing ...

marcia

I know that christian law defines marriage as a blessed union between a man and a woman, yet I'm with Chris Rock on this one: Gays should be allowed to be just as miserable as most other married couples. Unless it hurts me in some way that I'm not aware of, why does it really matter if they get married? I mean I'm not all that political, but does the gays getting married take something away from me or my family? In addition to the 'Christian' thing, is it gonna make taxes go up or something? Is that part of the reason why people are so against it? They already live openly together, so why would I care if they have a piece of paper? I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be facetious at all, but according to most Christians and/or the Bible aren't all Gays going to Hell anyway? So why does it even matter if they get married or not?

konaehukai

Truly amazing the ignorant posts on here saying that the people voted for it. SO WHAT? The people that voted for it clearly do not understand the constitution. It violates it.

If you don't want gay marriage move to Saudi. Because if you support this law, you don't support the constitution of this country and you really aren't American.

ThomasAlex

@There is nothing the federal government can do to force us to recognize it.

Ever hear of the US Constitution? More so ever read it?

"Section 1 - Each State to Honor all others

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof."

ThomasAlex

@moveover

You call 30 million Gay people in our Nation small? You must be an idiot! You don't have to agree that is its 100% natural, just like people still have black people. That is your right to have that ignorant opinion. But whether you like it or not, Everyone deserves Equal rights under law. Read the Constitution if you don't understand!

ThomasAlex

"Once you start changing the 5,000 year old definition of marriage,"

LOL. 5,000? The Earth is billions of years old! Gay marriage existed 5k years ago. Open your eyes, stop being so ignorant!

Nancy

Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve. Yuk

ThomasAlex

The tyranny of the Majority (52%) cannot take the rights away form the Minority (48%)! The US Constitution has won again!

Redskye

Why vote?

avengergirl

Since when do people from over countries have a say in the UNITED STATES? I hate it when celebrities from other countries come to the United States and think they have a say-so in our country! Work visas dont count, US citizen votes count!

mickey

This is Bs california has alwasy been the leader in breaking moral boundry appaling!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel D.

Instead of "we the people" perhaps the Constitution should read "we the Supreme Court". This is why I don't vote. What's the point?

qwerty

Shocking, the most liberal court in the land struck down the ban. Thank God it will go to the Supreme Court and be reinstated, as it should be. A true marriage is between a man and a woman.

i pee freely

YOU KNOW WHAT WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO GOD SAID ADAM&EVE NOT ADAM&STEVE BUNCH OF SICKOS THATS ALL I CAN SAY

the truth

haha this is to the men ---women are going gay because u men suck big time. your nothing but cheaters arnd liars and i can go on but your a waste of my time! if your girl ever left u for a girl dont brag. go hide because you made her gay and hate men. MEN SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ceezee

Well it's about time. Everyone has the right to be happy and marry the person they love.