« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Roger Huerta on Street Fight - 'I Got the Better of Him'

8/5/2010 2:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ just spoke with Roger Huerta -- the former UFC fighter involved in a bloody street fight in Texas this weekend -- who tells us he only got violent ... after the other guy swung at him.

080510_roger_huerta
In a phone conversation just moments ago, Huerta told us he tried to remain calm early Saturday morning when he watched some random "huge guy" punch a girl in the head in the middle of the street ... explaining, “I just don’t think that it's right to hit a woman.  Period.”

Huerta tells us, "I approached the man calmly and said, “Do you know what you just did?  You just knocked out this girl."

But Huerta claims the other guy responded, "F*ck you, f*ck these bitches, I'll knock out any f*ckin' bitch that I wanna f*ckin' knock out, I’ll knock your f*cking bitch ass out.”

Huerta added, "... and as he's saying this, he's taking off his shirt ... and at that point I was like, alright.'"

Huerta insists that he didn't throw the first punch -- and only reacted when the other guy "started swinging at me" ... and we all know what happened next.

"I got the better of him and I left," Huerta said.

The 27-year-old explained, "If that was my mom, if that was my sister, my spouse, anyone … I would’ve wanted someone to step in and do something about it.”

0805_huerta_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

noname

Roger Huerta for PRESIDENT!

joe

Good Job! i hope that guy woke up in the hospital, walked out and got his ass kicked again. Good to know there's peeps out there backing up women and showing chumps there not as tough as they think they are.

Joe Blow

Good for Roger! Hopefully her knocked some sense into this clown, and I really hope he doesn't get into trouble for doing what any stand-up person would have done.

Joe Blow

*hopefully HE knocked some sense into this clown. Oops.

JJ

GREAT JOB!!!

Carl

True or not, morally justified or not, he HAS to say the other guy hit him first. Otherwise he could get arrested. It would be especially bad for him since he's a professional fighter and his hands are considered deadly weapons.

He's probably in the clear unless a bunch of witness say he threw the first punch, since it is clear the other guy hit the woman and then is in a fighting stance when they pan back to him.

Gridiron

Hey, if ol' boy doesn't want to get knocked the f*** out, maybe he shouldn't be out there swinging hay makers at the back of people's heads. Regardless of what the woman did, unless she was physically beating dude down (which the video clearly shows she wasn't) he was wrong to clock her in the back of the head like that. And if people say an MMA fighter shouldn't be in street fights, well 200+ pound dudes shouldn't be punching women in the back of the head either. Like they old saying goes, don't throw a punch if you're not willing to take one in return.

Bubbles The Chimp

#1 You are a dreamer. The only thing you can beat is the roach infestation that ate your confederate flag in your rundown trailer.

Beth

The dude who punched the woman deserved to get his butt kicked. Too bad there aren't more men with real balls.

LIFE LESSON

ROGER HUERTA...you are a NAIVE Idiot. You are 27, You like to feel like a hero, I don't blame you.

but :

-=-= Who KNOW IF the GIRL DESERVED the KO or NOT ? =-=-

Maybe she a Drug user or gambler who owns 10 000$?? Are you thinking all girl or nice ? WOULD you KO her If she Stole your 10 000$ ? HELL YEAH!!! MOST People here...thinks " Girls are nice and innocent....so Punch = Punch BACK!!!
REALLY NAIVE thinking!

MK

Good One Man! You Did What Any One With The Guts Enough to Stand Up to People Like That And Put Him Right Where He Belongs.

CriticAl

I can't believe the people criticizing Roger and the girl who got punched. You all must live in Bizarro World - your values are completely backwards.

Starla

I guess the 'right' thing to do would be to call the police and have the ignorant assaulting bastard arrested. With the video footage, it would have basically been an open & shut case.

Roger understandable took the law into his own hands, but will probably end up in court regardless.

When I watched the footage of the girl being sucker punched, it really pissed me off. I know soooo many people who would have popped him, right on the spot. RIGHT-ON-THE-SPOT. What a bitch move.

Woman beater!

vegaseric

Hell yeah good for you brah.

CGS

The guy had his chance to back off. You play with fire, you get burned! Not such a bad ass when he's trying to hit a trained fighter!