Joe Jackson: I Get No Respect

8/16/2010 7:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Jackson's lawyer claims, his client has not been treated with "dignity and worth" by the judge in the Michael Jackson probate case.

Joe Jackson
Jackson's lawyer, Brian Oxman, filed papers with a California appeals court, claiming the probate judge was wrong in shutting down Joe's attempt to 86 executors John Branca and John McClain.

The trial judge ruled Joe had no legal standing to object to the duo, because Joe himself was intentionally excluded by MJ as a beneficiary under the will.

But Oxman claims Joe was financially dependent on his son and should therefore have a right to object to the appointment of the men who are making financial decisions for the Estate.

Although Joe is alleging various misdeeds on the part of the executors -- including fraud and embezzlement, which the executors strongly deny -- the lawyer for Michael Jackson's kids claim Joe is actually harming them with all the "procedural wrangling."  Margaret Lodise, the kids' lawyer, says Joe only cares about his stake in the Estate and, therefore, he's "the ultimate dog in the manger."

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26

Brigha from UK

391. I totally get what your saying here, but I don't think its fair IF you mean all lawyers are corrupt.
Posted at 1:42 PM on Aug 25, 2010 by Amanda Sue
____________________________________________

To clarify, I was certainly not suggesting that ALL lawyers are corrupt. Both myself and my eldest daughter have law degrees - so, I certainly have no hidden agenda regarding lawyers as a species!

No, I was making the point that ALL professions have a 'rogue element' and the legal profession is no exception. In the UK, there HAVE been cases where lawyers have manipulated wills for their own benefit. SO IT IS POSSIBLE! Also, given that Branca stands to reap huge financial benefits from this particular estate, we have to be especially vigilant. Even the most honourable of people can be tempted by such wealth.

So, to eliminate Branca from suspicion simply because he commands the respect of his peers IS naive. Brancas 'reputation' has to be almost irrelevant to this situation.

Amanda Sue

Posted at 1:42 PM on Aug 25, 2010 by Amanda Sue
____________________________________________

Posted at 2:35 AM on Aug 26, 2010 by Brigha from UK
-------------------------

Hi Brigha, thank for the reply. I see what you're saying, i guess to be fair, I'm saying that in truth ANYTHING is possible given any situation in life. From all I have read there is no proof Branca has done anything wrong so to say he's "suspicious" w/o direct reason or proof is unfair. Isn't that the same as me saying you "could be" guilty of a crime? You are probably not, and I have no proof you are, but you "could" be guilty so it's ok for me to cast doubts about you?

Cherwood

Amanda Sue,
I think the difference here is that Branca has MOTIVE and the MEANS in this case. You could telll me he was the most honourable lawyer on the face of this earth and I still wouldn't believe it because unlike Brigha, I think most lawyers make it their business to know how far they can stretch the law and get away with it.
And REMEMBER, MICHAEL HIMSELF, had issues with Branca at one point and FIRED HIM. Granted those suspicions were never proven, but his name was never cleared of the suspicions, either. The fact that we can't go to the '97 Trust and see how it matches up with the 2002 Trust is really too bad, because if we could, and everything was the same in it except for Blanket being listed as an heir, then we would know Michael fully approved of it for at least the 5 years before he decided to update it in 2002 to add Blanket. The way things stand now, we have no clue whether this 2002 will/trust is really Michael's wish for his Estate.
Make no mistake, it's probably better than having no will, or having the family in charge in anyway. I just think there had to be someone, ANYONE other than Branca, who's had ties to Sony who Michael hated....and he still has ties to Sony which is why everytime you turn around, they're getting a deal from the Estate. That in itself is enough for me to question Branca's ethics.......
Bottom line, many on these boards want to protect Branca, Sony, AEG, and whoever else happened to be in Michael's circles throughout his life--I see more people defending his so-called friends and associates, than the Man himself--what's that about?
And while I know Michael was a sharp, self-possessed genius who could look out for himself, I think he had a soft spot in his heart for people after he got to know them and assumed they had his best interests at heart. Well, maybe at one time they did. Maybe they came in to his life with pure intentions and best wishes, but somewhere along the line, they got distracted by all of the fame, fortune, fainting, royal treatment and so on, and decided they wanted THEIR piece of Michael's pie. It may appear that we're being hard on these people, but were they easy on Michael? And that's all I care about, btw, I'm not out to trash anyone who's innocent, but if I smell a rat, I plan to call them out....
I'm only here to support, defend and discuss MICHAEL. All of the other leeches, sycophants, or whatever are none of my concern.....
-Cher
No Peace till Justice!
MICHAEL--HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY!!!

Brigha from UK

395. From all I have read there is no proof Branca has done anything wrong so to say he's "suspicious" w/o direct reason or proof is unfair.
Posted at 1:31 PM on Aug 26, 2010 by Amanda Sue
------------------------------------------
Hi Amanda Sue.
I think I may have been a little misunderstood here. To clarify, when I wrote the post to which you refer I was in discussion with MJuls, and was trying to get him/her to simply concede the point that it was ‘possible’ that lawyers could have dishonourable intentions.

But, to be honest, my own personal opinion goes much further than that. Given Brancas history with MJ, his association with Sony and Tommy Motolla, the questions as to MJs ‘lucidity’ and all the other little doubts and inconsistencies, I have reached the opinion that it is not only possible - but PROBABLE.

I have never doubted Brancas ability as a lawyer. However, Cher made a valid point earlier on this board that Branca is such a good lawyer that he had the ability and skill to easily cover his tracks. So, whilst I accept that nothing can be proved, like Cher, my instincts lead me to “smell a rat”.

Why would Branca do such a thing? Well, apart from the obvious financial gains, I also wonder whether Branca may have harboured some long term resentment towards MJ. Bear in mind that for many years Branca had played a pivotal role in the creation of this megastar. Yet, instead of his efforts being appreciated, he was fired. Now, rejection is an incredibly powerful motivator, and I find it unlikely that Branca could simply ‘forgive and forget’. I think it is feasible that Branca felt so aggrieved that he welcomed any opportunity to ‘settle the score’. Incidentally, Janet disposed of John McClain in a very similar manner, so there are some questions to be asked there too.

Regarding Sonys involvement, I admit to being very uncomfortable with this. If you read the Lynton Guest book (available on Jetzi) the author gives an insiders view of the Sony Corporation and seeks to expose their role in MJs ‘downfall’. Guest’s analysis of the Arviso trial leads him to conclude; “Michael Jackson was beset with trials and tribulations which, on the face of it were unconnected ....yet…. everywhere we detected the hidden hand of Sony Corporation attempting to orchestrate events” (p159).

The facts are, that since MJ died, Branca has brokered deals with Sony which have been very lucrative.
Is this really what MJ would have wanted? Remember that MJ felt such bitterness towards Tommy Motolla that he actually marched against him. Yet the announcement to Rolling Stone regarding the unreleased songs to be included on the new album was made by none other than Tommy Motolla. Also, to me, it was very significant that Will.i.am disagreed with the release of this material, stating that MJ was a perfectionist and would not have wanted this material in the public domain. So, again we have to ask; is this really what MJ would have wanted?

My own stance is that MJ was undoubtedly financially manipulated throughout most of his life. Now that he has gone, it is left up to his supporters to be especially vigilant and ensure that no one exploits him in death. That is why I will not be buying the new album.

I disagree with Cher regarding the importance of the 2002 will & trust. Even if previous instruments were made public, I would continue to doubt their authenticity too. To me, the ‘consistent estate plan’ argument is not convincing. As the whole paper trail was held by Branca, all previous do***ents must also be questionable.

My most salient point is simply that, in the interests of justice, there has to be a separation between the person who drafts the will/trust, and the person who administers (and benefits financially from) the estate. To ensure there is no suspicion of corruption, these must be separate entities. That is why I applaud Joe Jackson in his efforts to replace the executors (even though I know he is doomed to fail in his action.)

As I’ve said before, I think that public opinion is being manipulated in this regard. I find it very surprising that the majority of ‘fans’ seem to be taking the view that the executors are the ‘good guys’, the protectors of the MJ3, whilst painting Joe Jackson as a ‘money-grabbing’ devil.

We all know that it is likely that Murray will choose not to testify at his criminal trial, so the only chance of getting to the truth is by this ‘wrongful death’ action. So, why on earth are the fans not supporting Joe? More importantly, why isn’t the estate supporting Joe? Or why isn’t the estate taking this action (on the childrens behalf) in the first place? Okay, I understand that Murray may not have the financial standing to make such an action legally or economically viable, but what about the MJ3’s need for truth and justice?

Brigha from UK

Sorry, meant to say 'importance of the 1997 will & trust' not 2002.

moni

As I’ve mentioned before Moni, I have my own personality theory re MJ, which attempts to explain many aspects of his life, but I’m a bit reluctant to share it on this board, as I think my objectivity may be construed as criticism of MJ! Whilst I have always admired MJ as the worlds best entertainer, my own particular interest (more obsession) really came about during the Chandler allegation. I never could understand how society took delight in allowing such a simple allegation to destroy such a man.

Posted at 4:54 PM on Aug 23, 2010 by Brigha from UK

Finally found your response, Brigha, thanks for the hint on the other board.
I just can second you in regard of your reluctance in spreading your theories on this board. Yes, I have to admit that I'm kind of obsessed as well, somehow I don't even understand what this case and the fate of this man did and do to me. However, I'm not blind enough to see that objectivity is necessary, meaning the flaws Michael undoubtedly had and the mistakes he made in his life, but that it's not always healthy (lol) to speak that uncomfortable truth out as it might be mixed up with, as you said, criticism. (btw, why is criticism actually inappropriate?)

Why did society so pleasurably do what it did to Michael? Maybe the keyword is the difference he embodied. What's or who's not like the others is suspicious and can't be tolerated. For a certain time, maybe, but not on the long run. Heritage from our stone-aged past? I don't know... And then the mysterious joy in pushing our heroes from their pedestal, a sick delight in seeing them fall and ****tering on the ground. It's such a shame, and I still can't get over it.

Brigha from UK

398. Why did society so pleasurably do what it did to Michael? .... And then the mysterious joy in pushing our heroes from their pedestal....I still can't get over it.
Posted at 5:08 PM on Aug 27, 2010 by moni
____________________________________________
Yes, I know what you mean. I'm one of those people who outgrew the 'pop idol' thing many years ago. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be bothered to ask for an autograph or a picture with any celebrity....but MJ was different, and I'm not sure why. It's not about his talent or his music - I just think he was the most fascinating human being in the world, and even though the man has gone, the fascination lingers! My daughter thinks I'm crazy! but I know I'm not alone.
Its funny how the media still post every little MJ story because they know it sells.

moni

Posted at 8:54 AM on Aug 28, 2010 by Brigha from UK

I could subscribe each word you write, Brigha. No, you're not alone, my entire family thinks I'm crazy, and probably I am, lol, but I proudly stand by my passion!
It's so wonderful to see that Michael's fascination directed straightly into the heart, soul and mind of even well educated, well articulated and intelligent people like you and so many others here, who are so far away from being childish groupies. Oh, I realize that could sound arrogant, heaven forbid, that's not what I wanted to be. I just think that gathering fans of that category around is an immense compliment for Michael as an artist, as a personality and as a person. There's not one day when I don't mourn the unbelievable tragedy of his life.

Pegasus

To Brigha & Moni - I agree with you both. Michael as a person is what captivates me so completely. His intelligence, his humor, his humility, his sense of generosity, his thoughtfulness and manners, his playfulness, his love of people and animals and of the earth, his love for what the future can hold and bring, his shyness, and everything else! I know that Michael is not Christ - but he was so Christ like in so many ways! True, his music and dance and all around talent will never be forgotten or even duplicated in our life time. But all the characteristic's that he had - will always be here with the people - that will indeed, endure time itself! My son thinks that I am looney tunes, and I don't care! There is never going to be another Michael! He was the epidomey of all men! In characteristic's, in looks, in music, talent, dancing, etc. He had so much compassion! And his love for his fans, came through loud and clear - and in return the world gave him the Love & Respect & Honor that he so righteously deserved! He tried so hard to change the world through Love - hoping to end racism, doing harm to your fellow man as well as animals & the earth - all he was hoping for and tried to convey - is that the planet is small, and we should all try to live & love each other as Our Heavenly Father Loves Us! I also loved the strength, determination, the bull-headedness if you will, and the other things that made Michael - Michael! There are so many wonderful things to say about him - such as his creativeness, but no matter what good thing you have to say about this Fabulous Man - he will forever be burned into the hearts and minds of millions around the globe!

bunny

"God, Thank You from the bottom of my heart - for sending us one of your most precious gifts to the human race - Michael! Though he is not your Son Jesus - he is Your Son in another fashion. Heavenly Father, keep him in your love & grace, let him know no more pain or sorrow - let him know that He Is Loved By Those Of Us here on earth! And that we will not forget him nor forsake him - but will treasure the memories of him - and will keep his memory alive for generations to come! Thank You Heavenly Father, for hearing our prayers and for giving us Michael! Michael I LOVE YOU, AND I ALWAYS WILL, I WILL HOLD YOU IN MY HEART FOREVER - Rest in Peace, in the Arms of An Angel!
Posted at 11:46 PM on Aug 28, 2010 by Pegasus"

So beautifully said, Pegasus.
Happy Birthday beloved Michael. So wish you were still here.

Pegasus

To Bunny - Thank you for the compliment! But that prayer is part of a much larger prayer! I basically, condensed it down if you will. Thank you for your compliment though, it is appreciated!

This world, My Heart & Life, as well as everyone who Loves MJ, will never be the same again! I wonder if the hurt & loss will ever pass! Aside from Christ - He Was The Most Precious Gift to Mankind and I am Thankful that God saw fit, to share His Magnificent Creation with All Of Us here on earth! Just goes to show you - God REALLY HAD HIS ACT TOGETHER THE DAY HE CREATED MICHAEL!!!

Love & Miss You Michael - Now and Forever! RIP

Fulifu

Hey Joe ... You get what you deserve. And you wonder why your wife and kids hate you!

mymjj5

Author: Fulifu
Comment:

_____________________________________________________________
Juvenile! It's been 50 freakin YEARS......move on!

mymjj5