« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jay Mariotti, Famous Sports Columnist, Arrested in LA

8/21/2010 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ESPN personality and popular sports columnist Jay Mariotti was arrested this morning in Los Angeles, this according to the L.A. County Sheriff's Department website.

0821_Jay_Mariotti_GETTY_BN
Mariotti was arrested on a felony charge at 4:30 AM -- a police source tells us it is a domestic violence charge.

He was held on $50,000 bail and released shortly after noon.

Mariotti is a regular on the ESPN show "Around the Horn" and a writer for the popular sports website Fanhouse.com.

UPDATE: A rep for ESPN said the network had no comment.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

toddm

I hope he rips himself on the show

Dan

My bet is ESPN (part of ABC/Disney) will fire Jay from Around the Horn. I'm not a fan of Jay. But I do enjoy the banter between him and Woody Page.

Also - not too surprised by this. I just saw a headline of an Around The Horn commentator being arrested. My first thought was it must be Jay.

HoyaLaw01

Domestic violence? What's not stated is the Mariotti's domestic charge was against his boyfriend. It's a well none fact Mariotti is homosexual. The law enforcement agency is trying to protect the reputation of both his employers and of Mariotti as well. For him to be arrested on a felony charge, he must have inflicted serious bodily harm.

richie boiadro

Ozzie must be laughing his ass off.He always said Jay was a 3 dollar bill..can't wait to hear the charges..lousy sportswriter

Donna

I guess he found out that Tiger hit a hole in one with his girlfriend.

paddyofirnacher

It's not well known, though it should be, that Mr. Mariotti had his nose busted by Ken Harrelson in a clubhouse brouhaha a few years ago. There is a lesson to be learned here. When you're a bully, you have to understand there's always one more bully bigger and tougher than you. In this case, it's the police. They have ways of dealing with pompous asses who hit women.

David

I actually used to work with Jay on ATH. I have been out of touch with him for a good many years now, as I left the show after the first 2 years of production.

I suppose I feel the need to come to Jay's defense right now, as he is surely an open target for criticism. All I can really say, is that the guy is human. He is not half the **** that people make him seem to be...he was always very nice to me and we worked together in very close quarters.

Let's just think about what might actually be happening right now. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that this might just be a publicity stunt, initiated by Jay's (ex) girlfriend. He's from the midwest, living in Venice....he is a middle-aged sports geek/writer who just was never meant to be "the cool guy". My guess that this girlfriend might have been the typical LA model-type, looking to use a guy, just as guys have probably used her as a "trophy". Charlie Sheen is in the news over this same sort of thing...she didn't need to think it up for herself. Who knows...............

Let's see what happens. All I can say is that everyone needn't be so hard on the guy....he really doesn't deserve it.

dave

maybe jim rome will be next...

Trev the 1

I am really saddened by this. I really did not think i would see a national Around the horn panelist in the slammer for beating his girlfriend. What is Tony Reali going to say.

ironheaddoug

Was glad to see him leave Chicago.Will be even happier to see him in jail.

SonicEagle

Doesn't surprise me at all.
Can't stand this self-rightous arrogant little prick.

John R

Oh my, oh my. Lets see: Clemens is Arrogant; Farve is a drama queeen; Tiger Go Away; Ozzie is Blizzard of Oz; Revis or Hayneswork - who is bigger dummy; Pitino should resign and T.O. and Ocho is a match made in Hell.
Jay are you going to get your comeupits. I think the world is waiting, there prayers have been answered. You beat up a women? I can't wait to see you on ESPN again, or you will never be on ESPN again

john johnson

he beat up his gay lover?

Jenkins33

I be dammed if Jay did not get charged with D-O-M-E-S-T-I-C out of all things. He was so hard on Tiger for being with women and he is whipping their ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenkins33

I can't wait to hear his APOLOGY LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR READ HIS TWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments