Fantasia on Overdose -- I Wanted to Die

8/23/2010 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Fantasia Barrino claims she knew exactly what she was doing when she pounded a bottle of Aspirin and overdosed earlier this month -- she was trying to kill herself.

0823_fantasia_BN_Getty_01

In an interview with VH1, 26-year-old Fantasia claims she was so depressed about all of the drama surrounding her relationship with a married man ... that, "I didn't have any fight in me. I didn't care about anything. I just wanted out."

Fantasia added, "At that moment, I wanted out. I wanted it to be over with – all of it, all of that [expletive]."

She went on, "I just sat in the closet and looked at the mirror and took all the pills in the bottle. I wanted to go to sleep and just be at peace. I knew exactly what I was doing. You can't accidentally take a whole bottle of pills."

As we previously reported, a friend called 911 soon after the "American Idol" champ popped the pills -- and she was transported to a local hospital ... where she was treated and eventually released.

MikeP

Sorry to say she is a liar and attention Whore, who now just wants to cash in on the "talk show circuit" and discuss her "emotional pain". As she knows no one really cares about anything she does or says. And now thru her "struggle" she can become a self proclaimed "role model" or "advocate" for the depressed. Get Real.

Anyone with common sense, that REALLY wants to kill themselves, there are a million ways to do it,and this is not one of them.
At worst she had her stomach pumped. Now if she had jumped off a building, or shot herself in the face and somehow survived, then I buy her story that she "really wanted out", and she might get my sympathy.
But in this case i must say FAIL!

hot snot

too bad she didn't die. She doesn't have squat to offer society anyways. She is a bore, bad singer and ugly as hell

hot snot

also...if she REALLY wanted to die she wouldn't take asprin. this was all a publicity scam since the ugly broad is going broke. what a freakin loser.

lint

This is some total bull**** - if she were anyone else, she would have been given a choice straight from the ER: Mental Hospital or Jail. Attempted suicide is a crime.

justin case

This was and is just a publicity stunt. If she really wanted to die she would have taking more then that and washed it all down with a 5th of vodka and some sleeping pills to boot... People that want to comit suicide actually kill themselves. The ones like fantasia are trying to get sympathy

moe l.

"What's happenin Willis?"

MIDNIGHT TOKER

yeah she was released from the hospital in time to make it for the afternoon shoot at her house with the other reality show cast members..good grief

Cdn Girl

She is selfish. She has a child...what would that do to her child if she succeeded? Why isn't it enough to want to live & do right for your child??? She knew the guy was married. She made the decision to get involved with him. If she doesn't like her AI image being tainted by the negative publicity her affair with a married man - then she shouldn't have had the affair with a married man. It blew up on her - and she was called out on it. Instead of standing up like an adult and saying "I made a mistake"..she took the cowards way out. Nice example to set for your child.

dd

Whatever Fantasia, You need to concentrate on getting an education. You are becoming very pathetic, you need to learn how to think things through. If I were your mom I would take custody of your daughter after that stupid remark.

marcia

Song Title: Husband
Artist: Shirley Murdock

You told me things and I believed them all
You disappeared at times, but that didn't matter at all
Those lonely nights, I waited for your call
I didn't know it then, you were someone's husband

My desire for you is strong, but I won't do wrong
You're that lady's husband
My decency prevails yes it does and it won't let me keep you, no
So I'm letting you go, letting you go
So I'm letting you go, letting you go

You satisfied a real desire in me without apologies
I still have those needs
But I'm a lady with class, and I know my desire will pass
This cannot (incomprehensible) because you are her husband

My desire for you is strong and I won't do wrong
Cause I know in my heart that you are her
I know, I know you are her husband
That's why I have to let you go
Desire says I should, but I say no, I say no

I might not be, all that I want to be
I've been a fool before, and I did things I deplore
But after you, if Shirley's gonna be a fool
A fool for any man, that man has got to be my husband

My desire for you is strong, and I won't do wrong
So I'm letting you go, letting you go
So I'm letting you go, letting you go

Because you are her husband

My desire for you is strong and I won't do wrong
Cause I know in my heart that you are her
I know, I know you are her husband
That's why I have to let you go
Desire says I should, but I say no

My body says I should, but I say no
Mister you say I should, but I say no
No, no, no, no, no, no
Desire says I should, I say no

joe

i dont feel bad for her but she was set up by cook, tmz antwaun cook wants nothing more then to be famous, he told me he wants to be on tv and this is how he sees it happening, his desire to be famous started when he was a kid in the movie teenage mutant ninja turtles that filmed in wilmington, i got fired for this loser, i lost my job because i tried to go to my area manager and tell him the truth, then cook had it out for me and i got fired, for the record he was with his wife at the time he met fantasia, they used to travel to wilmington every weekend with there then new born baby, and i when i told fantasia that his wife calls for him all the time she used to just laugh.

its sad that he convinced her other wise but the more you mention this the happier he gets, ask some of his coworkers, this is all he talks about at work, its so very sad.

yeah its true that i know all about this, i would love for you guys to pay me some money or anybody pay me some money for my interview. or a lawyer can pay me some money for my testomonie, cook, i still have the same cell, i wonder if you do, how much is his cell number worth, or my silence, any way there is a sex tape, at least 1 on his blackberry, ive seen it, its only like 45 seconds long but its real, shos her on her knees movie in like she is about to please him with her mouth then she asks him to stop filming because it would ruin her if it got out and they laugh and he stops taping.

HumanNature

No DOG is worth dying over!!

Get it together, Fantasia!!!

LOVE JEHOVAH FIRST, YOUR CHILD AND YOURSELF!!!

ali

someone please take her kid away from her.

Maggie

Its not over after your body dies you still have a spirit and soul that has to go back to the creator...suicide is not the answer in fact its the worst thing you could do. to the people making all the awful comments you better watch your KARMA!! it will come back and bite you in the ass...

scott