Donald Trump Offers Cash DEAL for NYC Mosque

9/9/2010 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Donald Trump is single-handedly trying to put an end to the controversial NYC mosque slated to be built near Ground Zero ... and he's doing it by flexing his wallet.

Donald Trump Mosque

Trump has offered to pay the owners of the property the amount they purchased the property for ... plus an extra 25%.

As part of the deal, Trump is asking that the mosque be built at least 5 blocks from the WTC site.

Trump says he doesn't even think his offer is a good business deal, but he's doing it, "Because it will end a very serious, inflammatory, and highly divisive situation that is destined, in my opinion, to only get worse."

Of course, Donald's offer is all cash. No word yet on how the offer is being received by the property owner.

0909_tmzlive_small_v2UPDATE: Harvey called Trump during TMZ Live today to talk to him about the offer ... click the audio player to check it out.

UPDATE:  The lawyer for the investor in the real estate partnership that controls the site just said Trump's offer is "just a cheap attempt to get publicity and get in the limelight."  But it looks like the investor is pissed off at Donald's price, not the principle.

nancy

It say "lick" here??? It didn't work

deanne

GO DONALD!!!
Over 70% of Americans respect their right to build...JUST NOT THERE!!! I always liked Donald Trump. Now I respect him as well.

kr

I don't like this guy. I think 5 blocks is too close; but I absolutely thank him for coming up with the only solution those jerks might actually go for!

I cannot believe anyone would tolerate the religion that killed so many loved people and let them put up a memorial for pissing on the American people right where they died. I think it's a complete atrocity. Talk about spitting on the dead!

Sure I believe in freedom of religion but this is just abhorantly disgusting.

stan

He is only do this for press.

linda cipriano

Wow... put up a fund to contribute to your offer and I will donate... WELL DONE DONALD...WELL DONE!!!! You are speaking for so many of us!!!

stan

Please he is only doing this for PR. He will back out of it!

Marilyn

Trump is asking that mosque be built 5 blocks away from Ground Zero.
It should really be built 5 states away from New York like Costa Rica.

stan

He is only doing this to buy good Public Relations.

William

Mr. Donald Trump Is My Hero... Way To Go Donald

Haiku

Check it out... the preacher has just said he will not burn Quran's if the Mosque is not built... interesting turn of developments.

Lloyd

Interesting that "The Donald" is offering purchase price plus 25% on the same day that the largest investor indicated that he would let the property go for 15 to 20 million dollars. The purchase price was a hair over 4 million so "The Donald's" offer is about 5 million dollars. Sounds like a really, really safe bet to me. In fact, I'll raise "The Donald's" offer by $100 dollars.

jbob

So let me ask all you bigots something, should Muslims who died on 9-11 (not the terrorists) not have their names included in any type of memorial?

Bruno

The news yesterday said the guy was willing to let it go for 18-20 million. Significantly greater than 25% above what he paid for it (around 4.25 million).

Sorry, but I believe this is just a ploy to get Trumps name in the news again.

Anon E Mouse

I think that they should be allowed to build the mosque, but they should probably take this deal.
It is good for everyone and just put this issue to bed.

Fred Farkel

Donald Trump's stock just increased about a trillion dollars in value. Thank you Mr. Trump. I would kiss you on the lips, but since my name is Fred - I will have to take a pass on dat rite dare.