Susan Boyle

Sings 'Perfect Day'

9/10/2010 2:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained audio of Susan Boyle singing "Perfect Day" -- the song that drove her to tears after being told she couldn't sing it on "America's Got Talent."

Susan Boyle Perfect Day
We broke the story ... Lou Reed -- who wrote and sang the song -- is not a fan of Boyle's and would not give her permission to sing it.  Although Reed's reps have reportedly denied he withheld permission, we have posted an internal email between Boyle's manager and producers of the TV show that says otherwise.

We just got this statement from Simon Cowell, creator and Executive Producer of "America's Got Talent," who says if Reed did turn thumbs down it's "petty -- so pathetic."

Cowell adds, "Loads of people have covered this song ... Well Lou, if you're listening to this, do we have permission, yes or no, to put the song on 'America's Got Talent' next week?  Personal request from me."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Abe

I wouldn't let that old bag sing Happy Birthday to me.

How did she get famous again? Oh yeah, on a reality show.

x

Y do he got

She looks like that JJ guy from david&david

Amber

It's one of my favorite songs and no offense, not sung by Boyle. It is not church music. stay off the reed susan!

haha

I don't get the fuss over this woman. I'm not saying she can't sing, I'm just saying that every time she sings, I feel like I'm watching a PBS pledge drive. I don't see how she appeals to anybody under 60.

Y do he got

I`ve heard of eating your lip but it looks like she bit off his nose...man did R&R get nurseing home

Mrs. Pine

LouReed is an overrated, pretentious *******. How can he be so mean to a retarded woman? I guess she is not "hip" enough for this douche.

Physical Graffiti

He should be grateful that anyone wants to sing his songs. What's pathetic is that they asked him again! Move on to someone more deserving of having their music heard.

Carl

I thought that anyone could cover a song so long as they paid royalties. From what I was able to find online the songwriter can't stop you as long as you pay your fees and jump through the proper hoops.

norwalkrecycler

I feel like there is more to this story. I would have to imagine that there is a system in place for secruing song rights that does not involve emails back and forth on the morning of performance day. Either this is a really bad publicity stunt or some stupid account executive screwed up the song-buying process somewhere.

jaye

The man has a right to do whatever he wants with his song and Cowell need not try to call him out to make him bow to pressure. This is just silly. Susan Boyle is a singer who has no right to his song. She also has mental issues, which is why she has a tantrum whenever she can't have her way. No one should have to give in to her because of that. Someone should have perhaps straighten this out BEFORE it came to this point and had her choose another song. Just because she is who she is doesn't mean everyone has to bow down to her OR SIMON. The idiot. Sorry, she can't handle having to make snap decisions without falling to pieces, but they knew what they were getting when they signed her, but all they saw were dollar signs. I know she can sing, but I'm no fan of hers either.

Al

America's Got Talent... is Susan Boyle American?

jen

I just think Reed doesn't want his songs on some crappy talent show. TEAM LOU!

Y do he got

YES YES but what songs are her chins singing?

Y do he got

she could always sing that song by the ONE hit wonder driving&crying?

big al

this woman puts no passion into anything she sings. & that seems to be the case every time i hear her. maybe the guy wanted his song to be covered by someone who was going to put their heart & soul into it. & her fug face didn't help matters, i'm sure. go back to england you fat ole bag!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments