Ben Harper Blindsides Laura Dern with Divorce

10/10/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ben Harper stunned Laura Dern by filing for divorce late Friday afternoon … TMZ has learned.

Laura Dern divorce.
Harper, a two-time Grammy winner, filed legal docs citing irreconcilable differences and is asking the judge to deny Dern spousal support.

And here's what's interesting … according to the papers, Harper claims he and Dern separated back in January. But people connected with the couple, who married back in 2005, tell TMZ they have been living and traveling together throughout the year and were even intimate as recently as last week.

Harper is asking for joint legal and physical custody of the couple's two kids: Ellery, 9, and Jaya, 5.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

i keeps it real

she is ugly

iFart

That's sad. :( Seems no one stays together anymore. I feel sorry for their kids.

Lynn M

He obviously worked hard on his marriage...NOT! Wandering eye? I feel for Laura and her kids. No one should be "stunned" by a divorce filing.

c.read

No,she is not ugly but you are for saying so as well as a mindless idiot!!
I feel sorry for Laura,they are still a family even though they are in the public eye. Hope he wasn't having an affair......
All the best to their family.

maney

He's a s***bag. You don't "blindside" the mother of your two young children like this.. She's better off without him. I wish her all the best.

chevjuls

I am sorry, but divorce is not a joke, but is she going to blame angelina jolie for breaking up her marriage too as she did with with billy bob, why can these girls can't keep a man? they keep getting married and having kids and getting divorce, what about the kids, don't they think about think about their children.

moussemaker

Didn't she get dumped by Billy Bob Thornton for Angelina?

James

Nobody likes Laura Dern.

yumi

Wasn't he married (to his first wife who he dumped for Laura Dern) when they hooked up?

Because I remember thinking what a b*tch Dern was to do to another woman what Thorton and Joile did to her.

Karma is a B*TCH and "cheaters always cheat" is so true.

Donnabee

She knew it was coming.

Karmaback

Whatever.. she cheated with BBT when his wife was pregnant. then lied saying Angie stole her man. She knew the relationship was over. She is the one that is a cheater.. TWICE. So please I don't feel sorry for her at all. The kids yes. But he can be a father to his children without being a husband to her. KIDS deserve parents who love each other together, not parents who are miserable. Sure everyone is so quick to blame the man. Make it his fault. She has broken up 2 relationships in the past.. And BBT's wife was pregnant when he left her for Dern. Where was the concern for her and that child.

Robin

You mean Bruce Derns daughter is married? to Ben who? Never heard of him. Must be a reason. lol.

Ginger

# 6 - I've often wondered the same thing, about why husbands of beautiful celebrities can't keep it in their pants or sustain a marriage. I think they get so full of themselves for landing a celebrity that they think they can just run around spreading themselves among all women (see Ashton Kutcher.) It's a sad situation and I agree with everyone here - it's sad that kids are involved.

sue

People who do this usually are having affairs. He will regret this. I was with someone for just 3 years and he dumped me one day out of the blue. I mean there were little signs but nothing drastic. It was awful and heartbreaking. Most of us have been there, and through time you do move on.

Allison

Ben Who ? Laura will survive. She is smart and talented.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments