« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

BMX Star T.J. Lavin in Coma After Major Crash

10/15/2010 11:29 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1015_tj_lavin_bmx_youtube_thumb T.J. Lavin -- a BMX star and host of MTV's "The Challenge" -- is currently in a medically induced coma after losing control of his bike and crashing during a jump at a BMX event last night.

TJ Lavin
Lavin was competing in a Dew Tour event in Las Vegas -- when he hit a dirt ramp, lost control, and slammed down onto the ground. Friends and crew workers immediately rushed to Lavin's side, but he didn't appear to be moving.

Lavin was rushed to nearby University Medical Center hospital ... where he was placed into a medically induced coma.

We're told Lavin is also experiencing brain swelling and is listed in critical condition.

UPDATE: A rep for MTV tells us,
“Our thoughts are with TJ. He is an important part of MTV’s extended family and we’re all praying for him."

As for Lavin's condition, a rep for the Dew Tour tells us, "he is in the intensive care unit and is currently stabilized."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

M

"TheDude"-- It is impossible for me to feel inferior to morons. Have a ****ty day, you sexist loser.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

why did they take down the video,,because it showed the bonehead jumping without a helmut..dahhh
now he really is going to be stupid,,he can hang around and share stories with that braindead guy that hulk hogans son took out..

Superman

These guys and kids that do this stunt crap are playing with their lives every time they do it. So, it shouldn't be a shock that he messed himself up. However, I never saw his show, but undoubtedly there are worse shows on MTV that need a "big push" off the air.

pmc5121

right on Yams... you took the words right out of my mouth..and midnight toker...you are pathetic...maybe you and the Dude should get together ...both pathetic losers.

jaleh

wow i hope he gets better. He seems like a pretty cool guy

Nan

WOW

UMC has ****ty docs and nurses!

Metro

My thoughts and prayers are out there for you TJ!

terri sacks

Lavs has not passed away!!!!

Gisselle

I hope T.J recovers my prayers are with him... I like him a lot

Amber

Best of luck to you TJ, Prayers and strength to your family...

UpdateOnTJ

There was an update on TJ's twitter page. His brain swelling is going down and he is progressively getting better. HE IS NOT OUT OF THE WATER YET, but it seems to be positive.

smashley

I was in love with him when he was in the X games back in 99.. yeah I was 10, whatever. wishing him a full recovery. <3

Prince

Damn, TJ seems to be one of the kindest, driven, positive, laid back guy on TV. I have never met the man, but from TV he seems really great. I am sorry to see him get hurt., but i think his drive will bring him back. I was recently in a bad motorcycle accident and i know that is possible to recover even when you are close to the edge. God Bless you TJ. I am sending all my well wishes to his family and close friends. I pray his drive brings him back healthy from this accident. -Prince

sheilah2010

prayers and thoughts to your family and friends, you are an awesome host and god will get you through this difficult time <3

Karen

As TJ is my cousin, all we ask at this time is for those out there to keep him in your thoughts and prayers and to please respect the privacy of his friends and family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments