Chilean Miner -- Blinded by Terrible Spanish

11/4/2010 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Our gringo photog tried desperately to speak a little español with Chilean miner Edison Pena in NY today -- but dude mangled the language so badly, all Pena could do was laugh in his face.

110510_chilean_miner_video
Pena had just arrived to run in the ING NYC Marathon -- when our guy tried to ask about the mine (as in the thing Pena was stuck in) ... but instead used the possessive word "mio" (as in that camera is mine).

The look on Pena's face really says it all.

Angie23

This is just too funny! you can hire me as a reporter and I´ll translate it better than that, lol! poor guy was like: what the **** is this guy taking about?, frieking americans!

Jus

I was cracking up the whole time. This dude was really trying hard to speak spanish. You could tell his spanish was elementary. However, the reaction on the miner was priceless though..

Elisilla

hahahaha, what? I speak spanish (i'm from chile) and couldn't understand anything, hahaha, this was funny :)

(I'm tired of the miners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

siennagold

My gosh, that is so very funny!!!

Samir

No one said you had to be smart to snap a picture. (Maybe they should start saying it.)

C

Are you kidding me? I thought spanish speaking people were taking over

Louise

At least he tried you guys - give him a break!!

Bubbles The Chimp

Wow. TMZ cam guys are such idiots. He had plenty of time to translate the prepared questions.

Honest.Chick_83

That was funny..haha

dm99

Too funny!!! And then the photog asks Edison if he's ever heard of TMZ?? WT* was that about?? C'mon, that was a crazy question after the first "crazy" question!!!

HARVEY, HARVEY, HARVEY...you need to be in a little more control of your "guys"!! He should have prepared his questions from someone who actually speaks spanish!! PLEASE make sure this stuff doesn't happen again! (winking) The look on Edison's face was priceless, though!! lol

annette fortier

i really do not see whats so funny, is this not the usa where we speak english ? why did the miner not learn a little english. i am getting very tired of it . THIS IS THE UNITED STATES IF AMERICA. when i went to spain i tried to speak spanish

Otto

@annette: Here in Mexico, waiters at Sr Frog's and other places have shirts that say "I don't speak English (but I promise not to laugh at your Spanish)", just to show the idiotic way US people think that visitors to their country need to know their language. Plz learn how to point out US on a world map before complaining about other people's language skills. Most of Europe (save Spain and Portugal, maybe) know at least 2 languages (in many cases 3 languages are handled without much effort). In the US, 1 language at best - with tremendous effort in some places. Many immigrants spell better than WASPs.
I do, however, lke the way you say UNITED STATES IF AMERICA. (apart from the IF). America does comprise some in total 42 countries, but that is something US education leaves out. Ignorance is bliss.

Otto

I do, however, like the way you say UNITED STATES IF AMERICA. (apart from the IF). America does comprise in total about 42 countries, but that is something US education leaves out. Treating Canada like a Northern Territory and Mexico as a slave factory. Ignorance is bliss.

kickaboo

You are TWO cool, otto. ;-) Thank you. Annette, pull those panties out...they are making you cross. Welcome to America, Edison!

Harvey, it is a good thing Edison didn't understand the reporter, he might have asked what does TMZ stand for? You are a little of the Thirty Mile Zone (of LA).
Cute story anyway and Edison was adorable.

I Chinee

@Posted at 3:35 PM on Nov 4, 2010 by Otto

Well I have no interest in ever visiting another country so english is the only language I need to know. And wtf! is the chilean miner doing here in the USA?! Shouldn't he be at home chillin' out?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments