« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rampage:

Yes, Steven Seagal is Training My Opponent

11/18/2010 2:32 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rampage Jackson says he's well aware that the guy he's set to fight on Saturday, Lyoto Machida, has a brand new trainer in his corner -- a trainer who once took down an entire war ship ... and then torpedoed his own career.
111810_rampage_splash_still

Yes, for some reason ... Machida enlisted the services of Steven Seagal -- star of such cinematic classics as, "Hard to Kill," "Out For a Kill, "Driven to Kill" and "Kill Switch."

Footage of Seagal training Machida has surfaced on the web -- which we've titled, "Career Kill."

If you haven't seen it yet ... you're missing out.

FYI -- Rampage is set to take on Seagal's protege at UFC 123 this Saturday night.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Carl

I'm sure it is mostly a publicity stunt, but for all his failings Steven is highly skilled in Akido. Although if he was really serious about it he should spend some time in Japan with some of the top masters of the art.

EDITA ON STEROIDS

**********THE LIKE BUTTONS AT THE TOP OF THE STORIES R GONE***************TMZ ALSO HAD ON ONGOING 503 ERROR LAST NIGHT*********

fujow

Seagal spent many years in Japan studying the art.

Tufr

Wow. Seagal's teaching Machida basic and I mean basic Hapkido or I suppose, advanced Aikido techniques. These techniques work great - for the other guy. Machido can't possibly be stupid enough to try that against Jackson but you never know.

What's worse, Seagal's teaching the techniques incorrectly. You know you can't pay for that kind of training.

Tufr

*78

STEVEN SEAGAL!!!!!!

You get on the ground!!!

You put up your hands!!!

He made his living in the movies, but for the last 20 years he has been a cop.

LAWMAN!!!

mhee

seagal rocks so hard!!!!

Chris

Carl,
Stephen Segal is a 7th degree in Aikido. He moved to Japan as a teenager to train in the arts. He was the first foreigner to operate a Aiki dojo in Japan. He trained with some of the top masters in Japan, so I think Seagl is more than qualified to train Machida. Publicity stunt or not.

Northerner

did i miss something? segal is training somebody, so what??

CubanB

I hope Rampage doesn't watch this video or Machindas new tactics might not work.

Hey Now

TMZ has clearly never seen Hard to Kill. SS was in a coma, woke up from it the same day and beat the bad guys trying to kill him by wheeling himself on a gurney using a mop to steer. Then he did acupuncture to recover his strength in about 2 days. No one was badder than Steven Seagal!! Well, maybe his movies were badder.

Bob Dole

Since Rampage is known for being a wrestler, I think maybe you're taking this out of context. I don't think Machida is looking to dominate on his standup with aikido, I think he's looking for better domination on the ground with aikido based locks. Some jiu-jitsu guys are adding small joint locks into their ground game for better control of their opponents. Aikido is great for that. Since Machida isn't really known for his ground game, I would say that every little bit helps.

sib

Harv, stick to your anti-anything-I-don't-like-I-must-destroy crusades. The fact you are mocking Segal is hilarious. Unlike your favor "hairless" teenage boy actors you post about on here all the time, Segal is beyond legit and a world authority on mix-martial arts. You expose your close-mindedness yet again.

Kaaka

The FAT BASTARD can't even lift his foot up , it look like he was going to TUMBLE over , Its all funny and sad at the same time ..LMAO

He should TRAIN himself to go over at WEIGHT WATCHERS.

Fan

Seagal to Rampage:

"First, drink whiskey until you get a huge whiskey gut, like me, Steven Seagal. Then buy some large baggy Asian-esque clothes to hide your gut. Then make sure the camera is always behind you so they can't see your lame moves."

dh

It is easy to take shots at Seagal, and he deserves it sometimes. However, the guy is a legitimate authority on Aikido, and he has trained many police and military personnel in hand to hand combat. So while you may not always be able to take him seriously as a person, the guy is a lot smarter and more capable than you think.

Furthermore, to those who criticize Seagal's techniques and their use in MMA, I need to point out Lyoto's use of Shotokan karate. His style was considered useless in MMA, until he came along and looked almost unstoppable with it before the fights with Shogun.

All that said, this still seems a bit crazy. I like Lyoto and Seagal and I hope it works out, but this IS funny.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments