Katharine McPhee -- Mile High Lawbreaker

11/24/2010 4:54 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" alum Katharine McPhee just broke a cardinal rule in the sky --  turning on her cell phone at 36,000 feet ... and even worse, she bragged about it afterward!

1124_katherine_mcphee_EXD_TMZ_twitter

McPhee caught a flight yesterday ... and after the plane took off, she tweeted, "I love illegally turning on my phone when I'm still in the air ... makes me feel powerful! A tweet from the sky. Hello Atlanta!"

It's a big FCC no-no to turn on your phone after take off -- the penalties include a hefty fine and suspension of her cellular service.

UPDATE: McPhee's rep tells us, "She posted when we landed in Atlanta. She was trying to be funny but obviously some people missed the humor."

Joking about airplane safety -- always a good laugh ...

eyecandy

That's what's wrong with people today...TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND STFU!!!

Wayniac917

hope she realizes that cell phones throws off the airplane's instrumentations and can cause pilot error.

biggoal

That was me who tipped TMZ off about the tweet yesterday! I hope her album sales tank cause of all her bad publicity. Especially after she almost had me arrest two years ago on false alligations!

sas

biggoal..you have been stalking Kat McPhee & her fans all these years.

billy cema

I well remember her from American Idol. She had a lovely voice for show business tunes. She also sucked at singing Elvis' songs.
But most of all, I remember the cameraman focusing on her blubbering dad. The cameraman just couldn't focus on Katharine McPhee.
Her blubbering dad, and the cameraman got her into the finals.

cindy

Let's see how powerful she is when the plane crashes.

moe

ANOREXIC LOSER!

biggoal

reply to sas I didn't stalk Kat. Those were false accusations and slander against me.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

she does have some nice boobs so its okay by me..next

JasonBR

No offense to you people who are so outraged by this, but I guarantee every single flight you've ever been on atleast 1 person was using a cellphone. if you think otherwise you are quite clueless. the phones don't interfere with anything either, if they did planes would go down daily because they ALL have cellphones on them and yes many of them are ON. they just tell you that because no one listens to the flight attendants safety lessons and this is how they force you to.

Bill C.

travcm is absolutely correct. There is no way in hell a cell phone interferes with anything except the airlines losing $7 a minute from their sky phones.

Kari

How pathetic is she? This is what she needs to feel powerful? And how stupid to joke about airline safety in this day and age--in the air or on the ground, not funny. Fine her big time.

josh

Stupid Beeyotch YOU just endangered the lives of every passenger on board and also the crew whose job is to get your sleazy stupid ass landed down safely. ******* should be given some jail time and not a slap on the wrist for endangerment of people.

josh

Endangers the lives of all aboard then this lowlife lies about it saying that obviously some people missed the humor and she posted once landed. She's not only a stupid Focker but a liar!

Bubbles The Chimp

Cellphone interference should be a myth these days but it is not. The main reason is only because airlines are usually operating some older planes in their fleet that are sometimes no updated for cellphone usage shielding. So they ban cellphone usage during flights to cover their asses.