Road Rage Could Be Trigger in Publicist Murder

12/2/2010 9:22 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources connected with the criminal probe into the Ronni Chasen murder tell TMZ Ronni had a temper and road rage is a scenario cops are seriously investigating.

0221_media_removed-1
We're told cops are interested in the road rage theory as it relates to the suicide of the man last night who was the object of a search warrant connected to the murder.

TMZ has learned ... the man who shot himself in the head is HAROLD MARTIN SMITH.

Although there are reports Smith is a suspect in the murder of Ronni Chasen, we're told that label is based on LAPD sources, and the Beverly Hills PD is only considering him a person of interest.

Nevertheless, sources tell us the BHPD is actively investigating Smith to determine if he was in the Beverly Hills area the night of the murder.

And, we're told, as far as Smith goes, money was not the motive.  Although Smith talked about getting $10,000, we're told that was in connection with a civil lawsuit.

So far, we're told, there's no physical evidence linking Smith to the killing, but cops are actively investigating.

Sad sad

I just get this feeling it was more than 1 person in distance like a couple of people. I'm reading this criminal profile thing made me think. Everywhere it's stated they do not think it was road rage. I'm confused by this so unless they are just trying to spin off the story to be confusing as to what they know it's weird. Someone who would know that particular area and video shots well. It's too perfect in a way. They would have had to have knowledge of surveillance in all corners. People that know that stuff Law Enforcement, private investigators and such. I guess a criminal could but he'd have to seriously scour the area and chance of looking suspicious? Am I wrong? How would an everyday joe know that? You'd have to frequent the properties and areas and know she would drive right there. Taking chance of someone driving by while doing the deed and not get caught?.

flacs562

hel yeh this **** was a straight out 'wack', a pretty good 1 too, no glass and no shells ......... oh and that 1 mexican guy that works for ya with the long hair looks almost EXACTLY like this 1 soccor player 'jonathan lacerda'

Sad sad

I'm not saying the person who wanted her gone was not in the business. It's just the crime itself is really thought out with a lot of knowledge. It's really unsettling actually.

my opinion

I believe the person or persons that wanted her dead are wealthy and powerful when you have the money you can pay the right people to have anything done such as making sure cameras are not working that day....MONEY talks you are able to get what ever you want done if the price is right. oh and it does NOT have anything to do with law enforcement.

RIP RONNIE

my opinion

Correction: just because the cameras were not working does NOT mean law enforcement is involved...It could have been a city worker that has access to the cameras and was paid to make sure they were not working....money is the root of ALL evil...such a true statement....@sad sad hope this helps you to understand that law enforcement does NOT have to be involved.

RIP Ronnie

Sad sad

True but I don't discount it either. As you say $ talks. It wouldn't be the first time either. I swear I thought I read somewhere there was an accident right in the area right before this. I'll have to look. Maybe I misread.

my opinion

I think what you are referring to was the comments the neighbors made stating,"They heard five pops and then a car crash" which was Ronnie's car crashing after she was shot.

Caligirl

I have to concur here. The theory of road rage is ridiculous at best. Thank god Beverly Hills has a low crime rate! These idiot B/H cops are too stupid to solve a crime.
Let's hear about the niece she left 10 bucks to. She obviously has some story to tell. Maybe she did it? Pissed about the 10 bucks, pumped a few bullets into her auntie and gets an opp to make some money off her auntie by telling some fraud story?
Just the photo of the niece spells WHITE TRASH.
The niece just needs to shut her friggen mouth and let her aunt be at peace. No need to go flapping her gums about anything. HAVE SOME RESPECT little girl.
Just taking an opp to tell a story should make this little witch a suspect.

Sad sad

I should add military knowledge as well. Not just saying police. I like the po po in general btw. Could be a flunkie that turned to do what he does. It does not seem like the dude who just offed himself now to me. He didn't seem too bright. I'm all sucked into this story now. Don't know why. I use to drive that stretch at that time of night past that area years ago.

Joann

I doubt very much if the shooing was due to road rage. Ronni was shot 5 times. At first I thought someone put a hit out on the woman for whatever reasons, but I don't think a hitman/woman would shoot 5 times. Professionals would have killed her with 1 shot, 2 tops.

I think it was someone who hated the woman. Maybe she pissed someone off who knows. Everyone is saying how nice she was but evidently she made one enemy. The cops won't solve this crime unless someone snitches.

Sad sad

Why would the niece off her now after the darn will was done in 2006? She would gain nothing either way. If she was pissed why didn't she do it then? What would she gain doing it now? Does she have ties and money to plot such a thing for just being pissed over $10? If it were family members it would be someone who would gain after her death imo.

Sikki Nixx

Deadline Hollywood is reporting that it was a hit, not road rage.

Sad sad

Just read that. Who thought it was NOT a hit? Well lets see who starts acting weird now and trying to leave the states.

my opinion

@sad sad...The man was mentally unstable he could have been bragging that he commented these murders for attention...we will never know why he said what he said. The fact is he was mentally unstable and these people ramble on about things that they have imagined.

Sad sad

I'm fully aware of that. Some people brag and admit to crimes they actually do not commit either. I'm swaying towards maybe he actually was NOT the shooter. After reading more evidence. Harold didn't seem to bright and it seems like it was from someone way more savvy.