'Lovergirl' Singer Teena Marie Dead at 54

12/27/2010 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Grammy nominated singer Teena Marie -- once known as Rick James' protégée -- died in her sleep last night at her home in Pasadena at the age of 54 ... TMZ has confirmed with Teena's rep Lynn Jeter.

Teena Marie Dead

Relatives found Teena's body Sunday morning at her home. Relatives tell TMZ Teena seemed fine yesterday, when she spent Christmas with her brother. Teena spoke at length yesterday with Lynn, who tells TMZ Teena seemed "fine."

So far it's unclear what caused the singer's death -- but the Pasadena Police Department tells TMZ they do not suspect foul play. They say it looks like Teena died of natural causes. The L.A. County Coroner's Office will perform an autopsy.

We're told Teena had a seizure a month ago, but it's unclear what triggered it.

Marie was nominated for a Grammy four times ... her first top ten hit was "I'm Just a Sucker for Your Love."

Story developing...

FANISHA

THE QUEEN OF "BLUE EYED SOUL" RIP MISS TEENA MARIE, BUT THAT IS WHAT LOTS OF PEOPLE LABELED HER AS. I JUST SAW HER AS AN AMAZING SINGER/SONGWRITER. HER CATALOG OF MUSIC IS WONDERFUL AND IF YOU DIDNT KNOW HER, THEN YOU SHOULD GET TO KNOW HER MUSIC, ITS BEAUTIFUL...

BEVERLY TURK

this comment is for teena's family, i'm so sorry for your loss. she was in a league of her own. i saw teena in 2009 at the concord pavilion, she blew me away. R.I.P. TEENA MARIE. your spirit is free now so fly teena fly. beverly turk

Hearts

Too sad :( RIP

Byron Collins

I grew you listening to you and Rick James. You will be miss!

regina

So sad to hear the news of Lady T RIP my prayers goes out to her daughter and her family u will be miss

Sarcastic1

Heroine and perscription drugs do so much damage. I will miss her.

Dee Dee

Lady T a legendary female R&B singer before her time. I will be one of her many fans to miss her incredible voice until the end of time. I was just listening to her greatest hits cd on xmas eve while playing spades and dominos, sipping on some wine thinking about the good old days when her and rick james use to through down in concert together. Teena Marie was the baddest vocalist for a white woman I have ever heard in my lifetime. RIP sista ;(

LIN

She had a grand mal seizure a couple of weeks ago for which she was taken to the hospital and suffered a second episode in the ambulance. Her rep stated that she most likely suffered another seizure in her sleep that caused her death. So sad...she was one of my favorites growing up! RIP

brenda hines

MS TEENA MAY U R.I.P. I REMEMBER HAVING THE PLEASURE OF SEEING U IN CONCERT A FEW YEARS AGO AT THE VAULT IN LONG BEACH ON PINE, IT WAS STANDING ROON ONLY ///// BEST CONCERT I HAVE EVER BEEN TOO/////
WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU AND YOUR MUSIC////// ANOTNER ONE GONE TOO SOON

regina

so sad to hear the news of Lady T RIP my prayers goes out to her daughter and family You will be miss

Sarcastic1

Bad picture - Looks like Coke bloat. What prescription drugs were found?

Celeb Gossip Addict

I'm shocked she never won a Grammy. Who the hell was winning them instead of her?

Posted at 6:35 PM on Dec 26, 2010 by Celeb Gossip Addict
**************************************************************
Madonna.

Posted at 7:03 PM on Dec 26, 2010 by SYLVI212
*******************************************************

Teena and Madonna would not have been nominated in the same category sweetie. Google her, no YouTube her. Miss Teena was a pure R&B artist. The best. She has numerous R&B hits including the legendary Fire and Desire with Rick James. I can't believe they don't have a Grammy for that one at least. Sounds like she was robbed.

Stephanie Lawrence

RIP Teena Marie, you will truly be missed...thanks for the wonderful music.

MissK

RIP Teena Marie! She will be missed.She was a great singer,song writer, musician in every sense of the word,and I saw her in concert last summer and enjoyed it! I have always been a huge fan. I am so sorry to hear this news!

Joyce

RIP Lady T I love u, all your music, keep funkn up there.
WOW cant believe your gone, My deepest condolence to your
family.