Teena Marie Died During Sunday Nap

12/27/2010 4:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Teena Marie's death could have been caused by a grand mal seizure while taking a nap ... sources tell TMZ.

Teena Marie Died

As we previously reported, Tina suffered a grand mal seizure a month before her death. Close family friends tell us Tina has suffered other seizures, but the grand mal shook her up badly. We're told she had broken two ribs after falling during that seizure.

We're told the L.A. County Coroner's Office found diazepam -- an antiseizure drug -- at Teena's home, but friends say she had stopped taking the medicine because of side effects and began taking herbal remedies instead.

Friends also tell TMZ ... Teena was so scared of having another grand mal seizure she would have someone sleep next to her at night.

Friends say on Saturday night someone slept in the same room with Teena and left in the morning.  Teena was talking with her bodyguard at around 11:30 AM. She went back to bed in the early afternoon -- no one was with her when she slept. Teena's daughter checked in with her at around 1 PM and Teena was fine.

But at around 3 PM, Teena's daughter checked in with her again, and found her unresponsive.

The Coroner has said signs point to death from natural causes.  But "natural causes" could be death from a seizure.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Lets Be Honest

Teena was talking with her bodyguard at around 11:30 AM

-------------

And she needed a bodyguard for ? ? ?

mikey

"she had stopped taking the medicine because of side effects and began taking herbal remedies instead." Thought she knew more than her Doctor..... Hmmmm Guess not!

Carl

Good example why "herbal remedies" need more regulation. They will make untrue claims leading people like her to use them instead of prescription medication. I'm sure her doctor could have tried another medication had she asked.

JUICY

WHEN I READ TEENA WAS FOUND DEAD I FEALT A MASSIVE SORROW. I AM GLAD SHE WAS ABLE TO SPEND CHRISTMAS WITH HER FAMILY ONE MORE TIME. NO MATTER WHAT IS GOING ON OR HOW WELL YOU ARE DOING WHEN GOD IS CALLING YOUR NAME TO COME HOME, THERE IS NO WAITING.

Nanci

I went to high school with her. She was a beautiful, talented singer and a sweet girl. May she rest in peace...

Just sayin

"Good example why "herbal remedies" need more regulation. They will make untrue claims leading people like her to use them instead of prescription medication."

Regulation isn't the answer. You cannot regulate stupid behavior away.

"these drugs are worse than heroin but the
big pharma drug companies sell them like candy."

Should read, "these drugs are worse than herion, but the 'big consumer' buy them like candy" Where is the personal responsibility? Somhow, I have managed to make it my whole life without taking any of these.

Samantha

It's obvious to well educated people that she had EPILEPSY which is a neurological condition. I have it. One out of every 100 people have it. It's very common, and it's deadly. If she was prescribed anti epileptic meds also reffered to as AED's and abruptly stopped taking them then yes it could be a factor, but she also may have been experiencing many seizures and the meds weren't working. I have 5-10 seizures a day and I am on 3 meds.
Epilepsy takes as many lives as Breast Cancer every year but Breast cancer patients get $1000,s of dollars in fundings whereas an Epilepsy Center gets $25 per patient in funding for research. It's misunderstood and left in the shadows.
Did you know that Elton John has Epilepsy? What about Prince? Neil Young? Yes, it's true, but none of them want to talk about it.
It's time to bring Epilepsy front and center this death COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED!!!!

Mabel Leaf

Dying scares the **** out of me!

Lisa

HEY TMZ TROUBLE MAKERS.PLEASE DONT PLAY THE RUDE ROLE ON THIS ONE.THIS LADY WAS VERY TALENTED AND KEPT IT REAL.SHE WAS BELOVED BY AN ENTIRE COMMUNITY.WE ARE HURT BY HER DEATH.SHE WAS A GREAT PERSON.MISS YOU TINA LOVE LISA C.....

p1tey1

One of a kind.....the Ivory Queen of Soul. RIP Lady Tee, we will miss you :(

rob

Poor Teena Marie! May she rest in peace!

RoseMarie

I have been a fan of Lady~T since the early 80's...Regardeless how she passed! shes a real jewel to my heart! I love her and will miss not being able to see her LIVE! Any rude remarks should be kept to your self she is still a human being and family is hurting right now and forever! Including her true fan "ME"..I love you Ms~Lady~T forever YOUR VOICE is a real blessing to our LORD! sing my music especialy "Dear Lover" for my Son Steven in heaven! My heart is bleeding again! LOTS OF LOVE! I WILL MISS YOU TREMENDOUSLY!``
Lady~RoseMarie

tammy griffin

I hope some has someting nice to say about you when it's your time. Who are you? You could have a little more compassion. Some people do care about her.

China girl

For the love of Pete. WHO IS this woman? Please don't mention her again, don't show her pictures. WE DON'T CARE. All right? Geez!!!

Posted at 12:02 PM on Dec 27, 2010 by camaguey
Camaguey she was one of the most talented R&B artist who had Soul and i'm taliking pure soul. Unlike the justin timberlakes and robin thicke, she was very real so I forgive your Ignorance!

dd

IF YOU DON'T HER MOVE ON TO ANOTHER STORY WE DON'T NEED YOUR OPINION!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments