'This Is It' Producer -- Star Witness in MJ Prelim

1/4/2011 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson's producer/director for the "This Is It" tour will be a star witness for the prosecution in Dr. Conrad Murray's preliminary hearing which begins today  ... sources tell TMZ.

0103_conrad_murray_kenny_ortega_michael_jackson_EX_Tmz
Our sources tell us ... Kenny Ortega will testify that on June 19, 2009 -- a week before MJ died -- Michael complained he was cold, had the shakes and was unable to perform ... so the rehearsal was canceled.

The next day -- June 20 -- an emergency meeting was held at Michael's home.  Kenny Ortega, several big wigs from AEG, Michael, and Dr. Conrad Murray were present.  We're told the meeting was "intense, loud and argumentative."  Kenny read Michael the riot act, imploring him to take better care of himself because the tour was imminent.

Ortega will testify, during the meeting, Dr. Murray said some "terrible things," showing a lack of concern and respect for Michael.  Our sources would not reveal specifics, but we're told it's "damaging" to Murray.

Sources say rehearsals were canceled on June 21 and 22 so Michael could regain his strength. Ortega will testify ... when rehearsals resumed on June 23 and 24 -- the day before Jackson died -- Michael did a complete turnaround, wowing the backup dancers and others present with his moves and singing.

Ortega's testimony is important, because prosecutors will argue MJ was fine before Murray began pumping him with drugs the day he died.

1108_remembering_michael_jackson_footer

Lee lee

As for Ortega's testimony & whom he is seeking to 'benefit'?? Ortega is testifying because he has presumably been called to do so by the prosecution. It is the prosecutions job to call witness based on whether or not they will or will not benefit their case. Hopefully, Ortega will take the stand & give the facts as he witnessed them at the time, a truthful testimony. If we question Ortega's 'motives' then what would be the point of believing any witness who ever took the stand in ANY trial. This is our system of justice, it is HOW IT WORKS. If we cannot presume that a witness will give truthful testimony then why believe in our justice system at all. The U.S. justice system is all we have. We either have faith in it or we do not. If not, we will question & pick apart every aspect of this case & forever be inferring that some 'conspiracy' is taking place. People see what they want to see. This system is all we have at the moment therefore, I'm inclined to assume that when witnesses take the stand that they are being 'truthful', otherwise the system just doesn't work. Why have a trial then at all? Aeg is not on trial here, Conrad Murray IS.

Posted at 5:50 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by janalal4

Hi janala14 : )

I hear what you saying...but I'm still not convinced. I would like to know who is paying for Murray's defense?? Don't get me wrong.....Murray failed MJ.......He was Michaels Doctor and he failed him badly. But I really do think there is more to this story . Jmo

Lee lee

Over and out......want to get up early in the morning so I can see what unfolds.

Peace everyone : )

janalal4

Does NOBODY think that Michael Jackson had ANY responsibility for his own wellbeing, his health? Should HE not be held somewhat accountable for speaking up if he believed he was not prepared for this tour?? He was grown man. AEG's fault, Conrad Murray's fault? What about Michael Jackson's responsibility?

Of course Murray had the duty, the knowledge, the ethical responsibility to care for his patient properly & therefore bears the responsibility for giving the injection & causing a wrongful death.

We have ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF OF ANY WRONGDOING ON AEG'S PART. NONE.....YET. Until we do, I just think it's incredibly wrong to assume that by doing their job, that is preparing for a concert run, that they should be held liable for MJ's 'death' in any way. My husband's been in the entertainment production business for over 25 years & I've learned enough about how it works to know that these production companies are running a 'business'. Michael Jackson would have understood this better than ANYONE. He had a contract with them. Was he under pressure to fulfill it? Of course he was but at the cost of jeopardizing his health? Why didn't MJ or Conrad Murray speak up? If all was not well, THAT is where the responsibility lay.

People simply ASSUMED much about who & what MJ was during his lifetime & it wasn't fair...AT ALL. Isn't THAT what people are doing when they presume wrongdoing on AEG's part? Do we have proof of this? What we have is presumption at this point. The prosection didn't name AEG or charge anyone involved with them with involuntary manslaughter. Seems to me, if they had evidence of such, they would have done so. I'm only interested in facts, not conspiracy theories.

How is it that everyone else should have been responsible for speaking out about Michael Jacksons health, EXCEPT Michael Jackson?

Karen Faye & MJ's costumers even stated that MJ swore them to secrecy about "what they'd seen" during a costume outfitting. MJ was determined not to let AEG know about something. Was it needle marks? Was it his extremely thin frame? Who knows. What that does say though is that Michael Jackson was complicit in hiding SOMETHING from the producers of this show. How then, without all the information that they needed, was AEG supposed to make an adequate judgement call r/e what MJ's health WAS or WAS NOT?

I love MJ as much as anyone but he was an adult & had the right & the responsibility for exercising that right to speak out in defense of his own health r/e AEG. Sadly, he insisted on this quack doctor with a highly suspect background to look after him. AGAIN, he trusted the wrong people.

JR Jake

Perhaps someone could enlighten me. What did Michael Jackson mean by 'This Is It'? The end of his music career, no more songs and dance coming your way.............? I would like to know because shortly thereafter 'that was it' for him.

Lee lee

Posted at 6:28 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by janalal4

Yes he did trust the wrong people ..obviously......Michaels Dead, can't get more obvious than that.
Yes Michael was responsible for hiring Murray.....as far was we know.!!
Karen Faye and the rest of them can confirm that Michael swore them to secrecy.............But you would have to be blind Freddy to NOT see that (at times ) Michael seemed frail and somewhat confused. Did anyone watch him singing " I just can't help loving you " in This Is It ?????
He forgot the words...sang the wrong lines..poor Judith was so confused.
At the moment it's all hearsay as far as I'm concerned. None of us know the truth . Only two people do and only one is alive to tell the tale .

Lee lee

* just cant stop loving you .....my very very bad !!!!

janalal4

Hi janala14 : )

Posted at 6:14 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by Lee lee

The way I look at it is 'WHY' does there have to be more to it than a incompetent doctor making an extremely bad judgement that cost someone their life? We don't WANT to believe that I don't think because then we have to face the fact that yes, believe it or not, there ARE M.D.'s who really are that stupid. Patients die every day at the hands of a physician who makes a mistake. It's much more common I think than most lay-people realize & THAT is scary to think about isn't it? Then that means that any one of us is at risk & WE ARE. The general public don't like to think about that but as a nurse, I've seen it first hand. Bad judgement, negligence, mistakes that go unreported is much more common than people realize. It's the reason that the public needs to be aware & involved in their own care. Research your illness & your treatment. Don't simply 'trust' that all will be well. It really could be just this simple: MJ had a history of employing folks he really did not adequately check out & who were less than trustworthy. Naivete' was part of MJ's charm but it was also part of his downfall. I can see how this definitely could have played out in MJ's bedroom, him trusting this physician to 'just do the right thing' & 'to have had the proper training' simply because he had M.D. after his name. BIG MISTAKE. Mj wanted what he wanted, was stubborn(don't think we can argue with that one-lol), determined to get what he wanted. That is the terrible tragedy to me in all this. That it all could have been just that simple. It doesn't need to be some scheme to get his catalogue, to take advantage of him with these concerts(lets not forget MJ was getting PAID for it-the money flowed both ways), some conspiracy to 'kill him'. They say that usually the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one & I truly, sadly believe that it fully explains this horrible thing.

Unless I see or hear anything to the contrary supported by facts in a courtroom, see AEG actually charged with wrongdoing then I refuse to point fingers, voice suspicion, etc. because then we would only be doing the very same thing to Phillips, Ortega, etc. that was done to MJ-for years in the press & merely rumors that circulated in the public mind. By all accounts these are men who counted MJ 'a friend', who cared about his wellbeing & I've seen nothing that is contrary to that.

Lee lee

@janalal4

as I said ....I am well aware that innocent until proven guilty is the line,

I will repeat what I stated in my earlier post ............
==============================================================

Posted at 6:42 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by Lee lee

janalal4

Posted at 6:40 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by JR Jake

No kidding, right? Creepy wasn't it? Ironic. Yeah, I think he meant 2 things; 'This Is It'- the comeback that would astound us all & that he was done-as in 'That's all folks'. Strangely prophetic:(

Lee lee

@janlal4

Please Don't get me wrong..I'm not trying to fight with you, I am just stating my opinion , and you are doing the same. These last 18 months have been quite the roller coaster.

janalal4

@janalal4

as I said ....I am well aware that innocent until proven guilty is the line,

I will repeat what I stated in my earlier post ............
==============================================================

Posted at 6:42 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by Lee lee

Posted at 6:51 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by Lee lee

I gotcha:) Just laying my viewpoint out there. I think AEG is sort of getting the rap of the big, bad, RICH company that only cared about money & when I listen to Phillips & Ortega speak about MJ, I really don't get that vibe at all but your right; it's all speculation at this point.

Funny what you said about MJ's performance of 'I Can't Stop.....' during TII. See, I didn't get that idea at all. I was under the impression he was trying to save his voice, therefore wasn't singing every verse. That he then, got caught up in the moment & really started belting it out toward the end of the song. He was acting goofy but I think he was just being silly. I got the impression that he was sort of spoofing himself during the song. Like, "Wow, I've been here & done that" & was just sort of having fun. Isn't it funny how people can see the very same thing & interpret it so differently? lol. That's interesting.

nan

Hi nan!
"Ortega will testify, during the meeting, Dr. Murray said some "terrible things," showing a lack of concern and respect for Michael. Our sources would not reveal specifics, but we're told it's "damaging" to Murray."

I would like to know more about this! I would have shown all the respect and concern in the world for 150 thou/month and why would he be disrespectful to his employer? What made him to think that he can behave as mentioned above?

Posted at 3:38 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by FlowerPower

maybe he was talking trash about michael because he wasnt his employer, but his charge..
maybe he was bitching to ortega about mj because aeg was his boss, and mj wasnt following his orders..who knows, but i would be more respectful of the guy paying me.
sounds like if you are having trouble getting whatever your job is done , you complain to your supervisor. that must be what kenny/aeg was doing in there or it would have been private between a doctor/ patient
isnt that doctor/patient privilege or something like that

Lee lee

@janalal4

WOW yes so true. I never picked it up at first ..The I just cant stop loving you .." problems". But after watching it a few times, I thought he struggled through.....then hit the spot at the end.
I do remember when he died, it was reported that he had " post its" all over his bathroom wall reminding him to remember the words to songs.

Again thats all media Hearsay, as is everything that we have heard up until this point. I guess we are All on the same page . At the end of the day we just want some answers.

Lee lee

@ Mark ( AKA foreskin Mark )
Yes ...Yes ....and NO .

Next !!!

janalal4

@janlal4

Posted at 6:59 AM on Jan 4, 2011 by Lee lee

LOL! Lee lee I know that:) It's just a debate. A presenting of differing viewpoints is all, exchanging information. If we couldn't do that here on the board then it wouldn't be a very interesting place to come to talk.

katie10:

I agree with much of what you say. IMO MJ hired Murray because Murray was willing to give him what HE believed he needed to sleep. As hard as it is for me to say that, it is what I believe. I believe that Murray may not have been MJ's first choice. MJ knew what Propofol was & called it his 'milk'. This wasn't anything new to him. I think he wanted what he wanted & thought he'd okay as long as a physician was giving it. That is why I don't swallow the whole 'he injected himself' theory the defense is trying to pass off. I don't think that MJ would have done that. It was about having a physician to do it for him. Gave him a false sense of security. After all nothing bad had happened before. People tend to believe the parts of a situation that they want to see & believe & I really think MJ looked at this whole Propofol thing thru a very distorted view of reality. I don't think he used it to get high but believed he MUST have sleep & was desperate to achieve it at any cost. He his from AEG what he wanted to hide & he divuldged only the information that benefitted him, that made him seem that all was well. Still doesn't excuse in my mind, Murray's actions he took upon himself that night & probably for several weeks leading up to that night. Hence the deterioration in MJ's overall physical appearance in the weeks leading up to his death. JMO