Jared Lee Loughner -- The Mug Shot

1/10/2011 7:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jared Lee Loughner -- the man accused of shooting 18 people, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- made a brief appearance in court today to formally hear the charges against him.

Jared Lee Loughner Mug Shot
A preliminary hearing was set for January 24.

Giffords remains in critical but stable condition.

Brandt

He was definitely not "all there" but we have to hold our political mouthpieces responsible for their extreme rhetoric...

A Fan

Oh my gosh! He looks crazy! But yes he is on drugs.

Kelly

Odd that he shaved his head.

I wonder if he shaved it before he went to the Safeway.

carpetMuncher

I have to ask 1 question. Did Gabby have a security detail? If she did how the hell did they miss this wacko.

steve

can you say, Taxi Driver?

Stella

I don't see Left Wing nutjob or Right Wing Nutjob here. All I see is "nutjob". His eyes have the look of insanity. Please leave politics out of this - he's just an insane person, plain and simple.

Molotov

That glassy-eyed smiling face is--in my personal opinion--the face of schizophrenia. I've seen it before. The disease usually hits young people around his age. They go from near-normal to psychotic, and it can happen quickly. I think it's mental illness despite those in the media who are trying to politicize it.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Yep, he's done. Mentally & physically. There's a special place in prison for him & they'll give him a nice warm welcome without having to suffer thru his B.S. conspiracy theories. I wouldn't give a so-called "gangsta" a second look walking down the street, mtv junkies that they are, but I'd go far & wide to avoid this monster.

azlee

now why would anyone think at this time the parents are to blame? geezzzzz people.

I am not sure when he shaved his head, or if they shaved his head, but this is not the average picture circulating around Tucson. The smile is eery.

People here in Tucson are floored, saddened, shook and wondering what changes this will bring.

LAWRENCE

Leave Britney Spears Alone, leave her alonnnnnnnnnnne

Andrettianna

He's just trying to get the insanity plea with that face. What waste of human existence.

Kelly

This is the face of the upcoming generations that are not being held accountable for their actions.

If there are no consequences for anything, say a good @$$ whipping, this will be your end result.

Forget abt all that "they're confused" stuff. People need to really parent again.
I'm not blaming his parents, just saying. You can't stop bad things from happening, but you can get more involved.

TXluvsMJ2

He's got Charles Manson's eyes. Scary.

Kristie

After looking at this first glance i was sick to my stomach..wow. you can see the evil in those eyes, he looks absolutely insane...wow I am shocked CNN's picture looked way different ( the pics not the mugshot)

Tellthetruth59

After looking into those eyes I'm not mystified as to why he did it. That is the face of evil.