Dire Straits -- Classic Song Ruled Offensive in Canada

1/13/2011 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

26 years after the Dire Straits classic hit "Money for Nothing" first hit the airwaves ... the song has been ruled "too offensive" to be broadcast on Canadian radio ... because of a homophobic lyric.

0113_dire_straits_BN_Getty

The issue first arose last year, after someone filed a complaint explaining that the song contained the homophobic F-word ... three different times.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ruled that the word is indeed offensive -- and ordered radio stations to use an edited version of the song.

The CBSC explained that societal values have "shifted" since the song debuted ... and "the broadcast of the song in 2010 must reflect those values, rather than those of 1985."

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Helen from Canada

Bon you sound sooooooooooooo annoying when you say "Helen, Helen, Helen" who talks like this??? How old are you? Honestly, I can just see your annoying face and I want to throw up!!! Bon I wll conclude by saying the following:
Canada is a dream country to live in and I thank God for the opportunity to live here. I do not have to worry about not having $ to go to my Dr when I am sick or worry about not being able to get the necessary surgery because I do not have the funds. Imagine, USA, the most industrialized country in the world(well at least your people think this) and you have to pay for health care!!! lmaoooooooooooooo!!! I'd rather live in a 3rd world country like Cambodia then the USA. Oh, I alos dont have to worry about being assaulted by a homophobic ignorant American because I admit to being Gay!!! You remember what just happended in New york when a bunch of disgusting Americans beat an innocent gay man because he admitted to being gay??? Dispicable Americans!!! the end! Americans are your own worst enemy!!!

magnolia

canada have you lost your mind?

i saw dire straits perform that song live around 1983 in ottawa canada at the civic center.

no wonder i quit you for nyc and never looked back.

magnolia

canada have you lost your mind?

no wonder i quit you for nyc and never looked back.

sue

ok i grew up with this song and the word fit then the word fits now. its based on overhearing a conversation. it was not meant the way some idiot took and and now its being reworded? thank god i still got the origional.. give me a break! and i am a canadian living in canada who thinks this is retarded!

yyc403

Even though it took many years, it's great to see Canada standing up to inappropriate and hateful remarks. Even better to see society evolving to a better place.

It might sound minor: however, hateful remarks easily lead to hateful actions = both acceptable behaviour.

TMS

F*ck is the F-word. Everything else can be called what it is. The song used the word ***got three times. Big deal. Elvis Costello's "Oliver's Army" features the line "One less white ******." Where's the outrage for that?!?!?

Chantale

I'm Canadian and let me tell you, I myself and many others are laughing our asses off at what this one dumb f%cking women and the council have found to be offensive. Don't lump us all in with those morons, the b$tch was from Newfoundland for gods sakes!

Don't anybody let her watch TMZ, MTV and Much Music or we'll all suffer.

Poor Newfoundlanders are in for it now...This is why there are so many Newfie jokes!

Gerard

I usually don't pay attention to what the "Canidiots" do, but this time they are right on. Dire Straits sux eh?

barry

Way to get context, Canadian Broadcast Standards Council. The lyrics in the entire song are from the point of view of a "character". Same "character" that complains about how musicians get their 'money for nothing and their chicks for free'. In this case, Dire Straits clearly wasn't endorsing the pejorative use of that word.

That said, I be willing to be a number of lunkheads including the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, don't get that.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12