Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

kerry wenrich

dose this mean they will now have to do a host search

b

Maybe they will cancel the show than

Chuck

Regis is a class act. He brings fun to any show he's part of and that will be hard to replace. But he's right we all have to make a grand exit someday and make room for the next star. May God Bless you Regis you given us all a lot of laughter and joy.

Joanne

I start my morning with them everyday. Saw the show in NYC a couple months before his heart surgery. He yelled at me that he was busy when I wanted to talk to him. I would only take that from him !The show has helped me recover from a few surgeries over the years. They even mentioned my inbox comment one time.. We will miss you Reege. Happy retirement and enjoy your grandchildren and time with the family. Kelly will be fine, no one can really fill your shoes. It will be interesting who sits in your chair. God bless

MizB

I agree, it's about time. Disney should have sent him walking with Kathie Lee. Maybe I will watch it now.
I don't think this was his choice by any means. He would keep plugging away if he had his way.
Hope he doesn't think his performing on stage will pay the bills, cause he can't sing either.

Cheryl

I was very doubtful when Kathie Lee left that Kelly could fill her shoes, but she proved me wrong. She is quick witted and cute as a button and has been a good match with Regis.I hope that Kelly makes some appearances on All My Children. I hate to see this show end, just won't be the same without Reg.

Pam

I will miss him! Such a great host, funny, interesting, and gracious. All my best to you!

ellen

OMG. I love him so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He brightens up every day for me !! He is a real class act. they don't make them like regis anymore!!

Leon

another reason for term limits ,thank god he is leaving...

kathleen

Regis is a gentleman and will be missed.

Where's KOOKY?

It's definitely time for Regis to go. I know a lot of people adore him -- I'm not one. Can't stand his voice, his beady eyes, his way of TALKING like THIS like he's SOME KIND of Don Rickle's CLONE!!!! Never has so little talent gone so far. It's quite painful to watch him as he's always relying heavily on Gelman for cues. However, I do give him and Kelly credit for being a really good team despite their almost-40 year age difference.

That said, would LOVE to see Anderson Cooper fill the slot, although I know he'd never do it because of his CNN duties. He and Kelly are simply magic and really know how to play off one another. I hope to God they don't put Mark Consuelos in that chair...omg...he is sooooo clueless and adds NOTHING to the show! I think Pat Sajak would be the perfect co-host as I remember his short-lived nighttime show and he was so quick on his feet and hilarious. But...don't think he'd give up something as lucrative as "Wheel...."

I'm one of the few who think Kelly does a terrific job on "Live." Yeah, she can get on your nerves at times, like her constant name-dropping and casually mentioning her weekend trips like she's running to the corner store. She flaunts her wealth a bit much and it's offensive.

So...good luck, Regis. Rest on your laurels and your immense wealth and enjoy those grandkids you're finally getting at this late stage in your life.

LetsRumba

Regis - we know you have a wheel chair right back stage - go set your a-- down in it and roll over to Sunny Acres out of my face. You've had a good run - take that old wrinkled up Kelli with you. Keep your crappy east coast shows east of the Mississipi. You are so irrelevant to us out here.

Gloria

Good replacement - Anderson Cooper! But I'll miss Regis anyway!

wtf?

I guess that wrinkled up hag, Ripa will give her mule-toothed, dwarf, UNtalented husband the job. That show will be off the air in less than a year.

wtf?

Remember when Kathie Lee left because she was tired of interviewing people doing interesting things? She wanted to be the one doing the interesting things. She thought she was going to have a big music and/or Broadway career! bahahahah!!! Her flabby, old butt is back sitting in a chair on a morning talk show interviewing people. Unwatchable! And if the big shots have any sense, they will just pull the plug on the soon to be defunct Regis and Kelly instead of trying to find her a cohost. She doesn't have the brains or talent to carry a show. And neither does that albino Anderson Cooper.