Keith Olbermann --

Fired By MSNBC

1/22/2011 9:05 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Keith Olbermann was fired by MSNBC sources tell TMZ, and we're told it had everything to do with Comcast's acquisition of NBC.

Keith Olbermann Fired
Sources connected with the network tell us ... Comcast honchos did not like Keith's defiance and the way he played in the sandbox.

Our sources say Keith has around two years left on his contract, and he'll be paid his salary -- around $7 million a year.

We don't know if Comcast will let Keith make a deal with another network as part of an exit agreement, but it's a good bet he'll be benched for a minimum of 6 months, and probably longer.

More Keith Olbermann

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

dd

I'd like to be benched for 7 mill.

Quechee

Okay....this one MADE MY DAY!!!!

What an arrogant slug.

vicckyjane

He'll be back.

Surfer Gal

Ben Afflek is promoting his new film. Maybe Saturday Night Live can write something for him by tomorrow night? He did a great Olbermann impression.

WDC

I wasn't all that drawn to his show. I think he should come back a make a MUCH BIGGER SPLASH!

Jason

So it starts:::::COMCAST powers to be do not like...they will deal with by any means possible....COMCAST is going to become a major BULLY...I think the COMCAST merger is going to be regretted
in the near future...They have yet to provide me with reliable cable and internet service for over a year, and they are going to control NBC??? Scares the hell out of me.....Really, ain't a fan of this guy at all....But I foresee there overlord control in molding NBC into there propaganda mouthpiece. NBC and company is never going to be the same ....YIKES!! YIKES!! We will obey the new overlord, we will respect the new overlord,
we will believe everything the new overlord tells us to believe
The new overlord is good.............Y I K E S !!!!!

Cleanpenguin

Another demonstration of the myth of the liberal media. This is the second time that MSNBC has fired their top-rated host because he's too liberal. Remember Phil Donahue?

j.

FIbiker, now thats funny...and probably true

Russell1

Keith will be sorely missed. He made MSNBC what it is today and was, until today, its most popular host. This firing is a travesty that will not stand!

Scrapette Jones

There is a God! Thank you, Comcast!

DLN

Keith is brilliant and provocative. Anyone not recognizing his genius (while I acknowledge a few excesses...what genius is exempt?) is not paying attention, period. Don't argue if you disagree...just watch more of his Special Comments more closely. If you still don't get it...well, nobody's perfect.

rhode

Can I be happy now? But I hope he doesn't go back to the sports announcer again. Or then back to a "news" reporter. Or then a... whatever.... He jumps ship from news to sports.

My 2 cents anyway.

sonnydazenow

a great voice silenced

Tara

Sounds like the statement MSNBC put out was a lie saying that Comcast's acquisition of NBC Universal had nothing to do with the decision.

Those skunks (no offense to skunks) have no credibility.
It's better this way, Comcast and NBC suck anyway.

terry j vey

7 million a yearand you don't have to go to work for it.Jeez I could retire on that

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments