Keith Olbermann

Abruptly Leaves MSNBC

1/21/2011 11:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Keith Olbermann and MSNBC are going their separate ways ... effective immediately ... the liberal cable host announced tonight in a shocking move.

0121_keith_olbermann_bn_getty
MSNBC issued a statement saying they had ended its contract with Olbermann, who hosted the top rated show on the network.

The statement read in part, "MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors." A spokesman went on to say that Comcast's acquisition of NBC Universal had nothing to do with the decision.

Olbermann was suspended for two days in November for violating a network rule on political donations.

Lawrence O'Donnell, who hosts a show on the network at 10:00 PM, will fill Olbermann's 8:00 PM slot beginning Monday.

margie

They have just lost the smartest man on msnbc. We will follow him wherever he goes. Hope we don't lose Rachal.

etm

This is the only show I watch on MSNBC. If this is how they feel about this show and what it represents, I will never watch MSNBC again.

Carol Gater

We're devastated! The only REAL voice of reason has been taken off the air.
Who will speak for us now?
Keith has always been patinate about what he feels is important. (Perhaps over the top occasionally.) But, spoken from the heart and the hearts of like-minded, thinking citizens.
We've been robbed.
Carol
Maine

Richard

This is crushing. There isn't anyone that will really take his place. Well done to Keith for teaching us so much about politics,and with humour. What a stand-up guy.

Kate

Buh-bye, Keith. This was long overdue.

Jason Alexander

Nice to see all the right wing nuts posting on TMZ.

Cindy

My husband and I are big fans Keith. We wish you all the best, and we will really miss your show, and your James Thurber stories

Sandy

#61 Wow .. Such kind words. Are you sure your name isn't Keith? Either you are trying to be satirical and not doing well, or you are the total idiot. I was not disrespectful, but you certainly are. If you are typical of his viewers, then I am glad I stopped watching. Remember, when you send bad medicine out it comes back to you.

sky

C-O-M-C-A-S-T hahhahahhahahahaha !!!!!!!!

Keith

Good riddance. Truly the "Worst Person in the World". Should have stayed with sports commentary.

Grace

Good. He is a bore.

starstuff

What is going here... one wonders. Hmmmm....

Shanan Li

Ding Dong the baby's gone!!! Now they need to fire Rachel MadCow!!!

Dan

I will set my TV to record Rachael, that's it. I so looked forward to his show. Rachael please don't let us down!!

Chicagoray

Hopefully this happens in threes and Schultz, Madcow and the Leg trickler aren't far behind.