Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

Observer

Kelly prolly glad anyway so she can try and get that hot husband of hers in.

WhoCares

Kelly has carried this show for years. She's the only reason I watch. If not for her this show would have been cancelled a long time ago. I hope they pair her with her husband, Mark Consuelos. Now that's a team!!!!!

Rebecca

I've said for the past 2 years that it was time for Regis to
"pursue other interests." My vote would be for Anderson Cooper or Mark Consuelos. But it would be stressful, in my opinion, to be with your mate 24/7. I wouldn't want to do it. what ever rumor is going around about the money, I don't believe it. I think he was politely asked to retire because his performance was slipping.

Chris

test

that dude

You people are crazy, if your boss came to you and said you are taking a pay cut all of you would be like? Oh Yeah boss sure thing dock my pay!! Hell no, so stop being on your high horse because you would have done the same thing

Observer

He's a greedy old MF.
Many people out here without a [ J-O-B]...and he's mad coz he's gonna get 10 MILLION DOLLARS.
Wah wah wha...Good Frickin' Riddance!

Cricket

ABC has the prerogative to reduce Reege's salary at the time of a new contract...Reege has the prerogative to accept it or not. Kelly can deal with her own contract issues. He's old and should retire. IF he thinks he is worth more than the salary he is offered on the contract...he's probably mistaken and should decline.

Chris

Regis is worth a sh*tload of money and the dude was complaining about a pay cut? What a piece of crap he is.

The f*cker has all the money he needs, what else does he want?
I just lost my respect for the dude, it's funny how money can make a person look like an a*shole, and Regis just became one of them.

Hey Regis looks like it's back to those infomercials about 50's music again.

Chris

I love Regis, but he's being ridiculous! He's just being greedy! Too bad that Kelly Ripa is not leaving. I've never liked her since the whole Clay Aiken thing. Ripa showed herself to be a total hypocrite over the whole diva thing regarding her strnog objection to Clay Aiken putting his hand over her mouth, when there was footage that emerged that showed Kelly putting her hand over Regis' mouth on plenty of occasions.

Chris

no name just opinion

What abouy Letterman. He is way too old and no longer very funny. None of these guys whether it is Letterman, Leno or Conan no one will ever come close to Carson. Ever. They just don't have it.

Glo

Good riddance..and get rid of arrogant Kelly too! I would like an extra gour of GMA! I don't feel bad for either of them. Multi millionaires for that show?? Bye, Bye, Bye!

thekingofmontana

I need an agent please?
Brought together under the Big Sky of Montana by lust, wanderlust and suicide, after a first night out bar hopping DEBBIE tells MARK that she has came to Montana with her 12 year old daughter BRITNI to kill herself and her daughter on her 40th birthday. "Paradise Montana" is “memory play” akin to Tennessee William’s “Glass Menagerie,” and character and dialog of Elmore Leonard loosely described as “Lolita meets On the Road.” You will question whether MARK should be Knighted or jailed at the end of the film.

w

"do you know you I am????, I'm Regis Fu***ing Filbin bit**es!!!!"
Now where's my miniature pony!!!!

random

dear jack ass:

welcome to the real world.