Schick -- We're Cutting Our Ads from 'Skins'

1/24/2011 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The exodus continues ... Schick has now pulled its commercials from the controversial MTV show, "Skins."

MTV Skins Controversy

A rep for the company tells TMZ, "After 'Skins' on MTV aired last week, the makers of Schick Hydro decided not to advertise during the program because some of this show’s content is not aligned with Schick corporate guidelines."

So that makes Schick, Subway, H&R Block, Taco Bell, Wrigley and GM to pull its ads from the show.

UPDATE: A rep for MTV tells TMZ, "'Skins' has earned the loyalty of fans across the globe for its thoughtful and honest portrayal of teen life today. An internationally acclaimed scripted drama, the show has been honored with a long list of prestigious awards. MTV stands by the US adaptation of 'Skins' and the vision of its creator Bryan Elsley."

anonymous

Right. ALL teenagers behave this way. No, MTV being the god of trash that it is always strives to find the vilest losers for their crap shows because all MTV cares about is shocking people and getting ratings at any cost. These stank kids only represent a small minority of effed up losers whose lives are basically over at 15. The majority of teenagers are normal healthy kids looking forward to their futures, going to school, thinking about college, etc. Not every teenager is a brain dead pathetic moron who goes on to work for MTV no doubt.

anonymous

Would somebody please just make MTV go away.

Andre

I wish I had a product to advertise what a brilliant opportunity

MC

What about Trojan and Vagisil? I would think they'd be all over this show for advertising lol

letsgetreal

i understand the ethical problem that alot of people are having with the show. that being said i grew up in baltimore. i've lived, worked and went to college in the city in both good areas and bad. i find this group totally uncharacteristic of the city. other than the drug use i don't which neighborhood this ensemble would really call home.

V

Wait, Schick? You mean the ones with the ad where the woman takes off her shirt and throws it at the guy? What about the woman lying on the bed in only her bra and panties. You mean that Schick?

Somethng about a pot and kettle come to mind here.
Posted at 2:28 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by konaehukai

That is not cool either, but are the actors in the Schick commercial 15 years old? There are some racy shows on cable, but they are not trying to get teens to watch either. I do not want people messing with my kids on the street nor on the t.v. set. Those people living in jungles have the right idea, this is why are kids are screwed up, because people are passive and telling us parents to not discipline and let our children find their own way. You do not mind the sex & drugs but you would say something if a 15 year old gang member came to your neighborhood and wanted to be like the tough gangsters on television. I never heard of "Skins" before now and hope it goes as fast as it came.

karlew

If it doesn't jive with their corporate image then absolutely they should pull their ads. They have a customer base that they have to cater to and that's business. If they find they're target demographic opposes the morality of this show it would be professional suicide to continue any affiliation with it. It's not censorship, just business. Plus I think this show depicts teens in a very bad light. Sure there are some like this but really not all middle american teens embrace this lifestyle

WillOTheWisp

This is one of the most un-rewarding shows ever!!!
Anybody who can sit through a dumb a ss show like this one really needs to get a life!!
I watched about 15 minutes of it just to see what it was about, I started to gag with embarrassment for the teens.
Nothing like a bunch of stupid teens doing whatever their hormonally influenced minds tells them to do and without any form of moral compasses!!! It’s like just anything and everything goes!!!
This show really makes our American teens look more heathenish than any 3rd world country!!!
God forbid any gullible teens who may try and emulate these idiots!

JLS

I think the only company willing to advertise on this show would be TROJAN.

No other company is going to do it.

MTV has been getting more and more outrageous every single year with more and more daring stuff. They won't survive if they keep it up.

WIleE116

Personally, I didn't like the pilot MTV version of 'Skins'. The original UK series 1 & 2 are the best from the franchise. In the UK version, the gay character, Maxxie, is the best representation of a gay white male I've seen on TV period. Maxxie wasn't flamboyant, loud, oversexed nor obnoxious. This character, along with the rest of the cast, embodied substance despite the chaotic environment you'll find each character in. All of the characters had to discover their true sense of selves/self worth and overcome their fears through the trials and tribulations of sex, alcohol and drugs.

If you haven't seen the ORIGINAL UK version of 'Skins', I recommend you to watch Series 1 & 2. These series had me laughing, crying, screaming and rooting for each character to face their fears and accept themselves fully (redemption). Great screenwriters! I enjoyed the twist and turns in the characters development. Netflix it!!! ASAP!

Carl

If only there were some way for advertisers to know what Skins would be like ahead of time. I mean if only the British had made this show first and then shown it on a US cable station for over a year first. But I guess that didn't happen.

maikel

I'm not from the states but like to read TMZ but damn, u all are a bunch of uptight people over there:)
Why pull ur ads from a show? thats just publicity.
I watched the first episode because it got all this going on.
and please people...this is real live and u know it!! don't be this stuck up...

Posted at 1:35 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by maikel

This is NOT real life in middle America .....you can sceam it as loud as you want. but I work with kids this age group every day and yes there is some of this going on BUT not the majority of the teens ....They are not dressing like street walkers , talking filth and sex and partying , partying ,partying...as the show wants you to believe....They have real lives, sports and school and a lot of the kids are working to help their family or to have make their own money...

I am so tired of teenagers depicted as sex talking ,trash dressing idoits who all want to be rap stars , movie stars or rock stars like on disney, or nickoloden ....... tv shows like that are the worst influence on kids today....

Enough said.....scream away....now ain't going change my mind...

Posted at 1:46 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by ketjo

Ey i diden't say all of them were i just said its a tv show... its for entertainment.
If you just looked at it as entertainment instedt of the big fuss everybody is making.
Mabey the ''kids'' will do to!!!
But because of the ''grown ups'' make such a big deal the kids will do to and just see it as a way to piss of the parents!!.
I'm from the netherlands and sorry to say but if you push your kids this way the will go that way.
kids over there think AMSTERDAM..''pot''..''cool'' because u make it that way......here its so easy its not a cool or big thing so why bother..

Just a outsiders opinion..

matt

Good Lord people how quick do you all forget a movie called Kids a movie in 1995 way worst with about the same age actors in it.

jpierce26

I am glad ads are being pulled. I graduated last year and yes, some high school students go out to a party every once in a while but MTV has taken their recent show activity to really negative places. I no longer watch MTV. Once they clean up their act, I will once again tune in. My friends have done the same. We are all sick of it. It puts a bad image in people's heads of the "lives" of teenagers. In my mind, If you are a teenager their should be no outside life besides school, church, family and friends. This show knows nothing about teenage "life". Sorry MTV I will no longer be watching and neither will my friends. I am sure the ratings will be high seeing as how others will be watching to see what the fuss is about, but not I. This show is like sex in the City on Steroids!

DR SICK

So if it isn't seen, it doesn't exist? The old ostrich head in the sand philosophy. And the foreign observation is right. This is one of the most stuck up countries on the face of this planet. America is made up of quack reactionaries. Dangle a moral carrot and the Bible thumpers get a hard on. So predictable. Not to worry parents your good teens are not being dispoiled. They are too damn busy with their heads in their phones they don't know what is happening around them. Cell phones have removed them from reality.