'Golden Voice' Ted Williams Bails on Rehab

1/24/2011 5:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ted Williams -- the homeless man with the "Golden Voice" -- has left rehab against medical advice, less than two weeks after checking in for drug and alcohol dependency ... TMZ has learned.

Ted Williams Rehab

Our sources say Ted -- who decided to go to rehab earlier this month after a taping of the Dr. Phil show -- left the Origins Recovery Center in South Texas moments ago and is on his way to the airport.

Ted's girlfriend is currently in rehab at the Safe Harbor facility in Costa Mesa, California.

Dr D

I quit smoking probably 100 times before quiting for good.
I have been on 3 diets so far to stop gaining weight.
I hope Ted can deny his demons sooner than I did.
My demons are just more socially acceptable.
Aren't we all hippocrits.

Steve O

Come on Teddy.....lets get back to rehab..so you stumbled and fell..
ok, lets regroup..give them a call

Steveo

Jazzbabe

@ Tom C.

Yes, that's true, and you would think this guy would have sense enough to be grateful for his blessing. I did a story on rehabs once, in my own radio career, and sometimes, people are so fragile, even the rehab is too tough for them. He may have been confronted by something that he just couldn't handle. I'm guessing that the ontehr folks in rehab with him really gave him a hard time because of his notoriety, and that drove him away. Many posts I've read about him are quite resentful of his second chance at life.

An addict is still a human being, you know.

ben

I personally feel for Dr. phil and associates to let this situation air out on a national television program is just pure thoughtlessness, self-serving and in bad taste.

Ty

To overcome the world, a man must first overcome himself.. Please dont fall short to the power of suggestion.. Self disipline is the cornerstone to all your blessings. Go with God bretheren..

Ron

Come on everyone, You all must have perfect American lives. So he checked out, tempted by some of that cash he earned, he is going back for another run. Why don't you just pray for him instead of badgering him. Your comments if he reads them could lead him into worse depression he already feels. Te, if I knew where you were I'd pray with you and help you back.

donabernathy

Why does anyone think this guy can break the grip of the traditional welfare system of America. Enough already ... give him his government housing, let him buy his food with food stamps and give him a monthly check to buy his dope. He'll live happily ever after.

roflmao

Rosa

Addiction is certainly a state of mind. So,as sad as this choice is for Ted Williams, the biggest disappointment comes from us expecting a quick cure for him in order to watch him succeed in life, not to just be healthy and survive. He admitted using his voice to con others in stores and various locations; this is the mindset of a "junkie". We look at him as failing through this decision, however Ted actually believes he has succeeded by captivating the nation and possibly the world. Actually my heart breaks for him because he does not realize the blessing he is throwing away, he is too sick to know. Let's pray for him and hope that he will succeed in taking care of himself for God first, then for himself. God bless you Ted Williams and your family. Scsista

Molotov

So sad. He won't make it this time around. If he ever does come clean then it'll take 2, 3, or 4 more attempts. Only the very strongest make it out with one rehab attempt. He hasn't gotten serious yet. He hasn't signed up for the pain yet.

Judy

#203. "Everyone please don't throw Ted under the bus yet! Let him show his intentions first. I know he should not have left rehab this soon, but let's all have a wait and see attitude for a minute. His girlfriend Kathy is my sister and I'm concerned for her also. They aren't used to any of this media attention. I know the Lord has control of this. PLEASE KEEP THEM IN YOUR POSITIVE THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. It is never good to cut down anyone, we must uplift them with positiveness.

Posted at 9:19 PM on Jan 24, 2011 by Colleen Sariotis"
____________________________________________________

I can see you are well-educated. You seem to be a lovely person--I wish them both the best and will most certainly keep them both in my thoughts and prayers.

Nikkcolle

What a shame and what a fool. This is a once in a lifetime chance. It was an easy prediction. He is a d*ouch bag. Who calls their own daughter those type of names, drunk or not??? Con man, manipulating s*** bag. He just smiled and smiled when talking about how he conned the store clerks with his mesmerizing voice...BARF!

MrsBeasley

I suspect some peoples views on this matter come from personal experience and should not be so quickly dismissed. My brother is an addict and I did everything humanly possible for him. I paid his bills,I listened to his 20 to 30 calls a day telling me all the rotten things he has done then he threatens to kill me in his evil tone if he found out I ran with it to anyone, I watched his kids while he CLAIMS he went to AA meetings but then I found out he was crusing the streets of Cincinnati for a fix. I was on his side against my own parents because I thought he wasn't getting enough "support". Well, the first time I didn't go with what he wanted he turned on me like snake and I haven't talked to the louse since. People are simply a convenience to addicts and once they have what they want from you, they are done with you. I did what I could and then I saw that he was simply using me. No, I won't do that again. I did it more than once and I have learned my lesson. Many junkies have no soul. I know my brother doesn't, and at the end of the day its a damn shame, because I still love him. But I have my own family and all his drama and excuses have worn out their welcome.

Cinner

You know this *******s 15 mins. are up!!!

Wanda

THIS IS A SAD THING TO HEAR, BUT IT AIN'T OVER TIL IT'S OVER TED MIGHT GET TO THE AIRPORT AND HAVE A SECOND THOUGHT! YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE SO QUICK TO PASS JUDGEMENT ARE THE REAL FOOLS HERE. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER ADDICTION IT'S NOT SO EASY TO JUST STOP WHAT YOUR BODY HAS GOTTON USED TO OVER THE YEARS. YOU KNOW YOUR FAT SISTER THAT LIKES THE TWINKIES? TRY TAKING THEM FROM HER OVERNIGHT.OR TRY PUTTING DOWN THAT SKOAL CAN (YOU KNOW THE ONE THAT HAS MADE THAT CIRCLE IN YOUR JEANS POCKET). TRY KEEPING YOUR WIFE OUTTA THE TANNING BED GO ON I DARE YOU, TRY TAKING THE PICTURES OF THE LITTLE BOYS FROM YOUR UNCLE AND SEE HOW EASY THAT IS. ARE YOU GETTING IT NOW CLUELESS? ALL HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK YOU SHOULD ALL KNOW THAT SINCE YOU CAN'T SEEM TO STOP PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN! I DON'T BLAME HIM I'D RUN FROM YOU IDIOTS TOO. YOU CAN SIT ON YOUR FAT FLAT AZZES AND JUDGE HIM, BUT DON'T THINK FOR ONE MINUTE GOD'S NOT GONNA BE JUDGING YOU HYPROCRITES!! NOW GO PULL YOUR WIFE OUT SHE'S BURNING!!!!!!!

irish35

As much as I want to judge this man, I know that it is a weakness, a complacency and a lack of self responsibility that compels him to cop out of rehab and life in general. It is just so easy to self medicate, be it with food, drugs or alcohol, so easy to just not take responsibility for ones life. Society says, "no, you can't do this, this is not normal". And society tries to "fix" the problems for Ted. Psychiatrist tell him, "it's not your fault, it is a chemical imbalance". The chemical imbalance may be true, but there is a personal responsibility as well. Ted has known for a long time that he needs help, but he has chosen to take only that which requires nothing of him, he'll take what is given to him, as long as it requires no work or effort on his part. He wants what you give him, but he doesn't want to make the effort, or do the work to get and do for himself, unless it ends in him getting what he wants, booze or drugs, to make him feel good. I personally think addiction is a selfish disease. I am a food addict, I love food, sweets, chocolate etc. I don't like obesity that comes with it, or the diabetes, heart disease etc. but ultimately it is my fault, and my choice to overcome my desires, kick my addiction or die. I don't cry about it to anyone but me. I don't blame anyone but me, and I'm willing to take the help offered to me as a tool to help myself. If I fail, and I will and do, then I have only myself to blame, and have to pick myself back up and keep trying. This is what Ted needs to do, but I doubt he will, cause he doesn't seem like he really wants to give up his lifestyle. He want's the money, but doesn't want to do the work to get it.