Billy Ray -- Hannah Montana 'Destroyed' My Family

2/15/2011 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus believes "Hannah Montana" ruined his relationship with his daughter Miley Cyrus -- claiming, "The damn show destroyed my family."

0215_billy_ray_hanna_BN_TMZ_01

Billy Ray spilled his guts to GQ Magazine -- claiming Miley's handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations ... including the Vanity Fair cover scandal and her controversial pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards.

Billy says he hasn't spoken to Miley since the bong video surfaced and states, "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger."

Billy also claims "there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan.

When asked about "Hannah Montana" -- Billy said, "I'll tell you right now -- the damn show destroyed my family."

Billy says he wishes "Hannah" had never happened -- saying, "I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal."

Billy also compares Miley to Anna Nicole Smith -- saying, "You could see that train wreck coming."

And there's a Michael Jackson connection -- during the interview, Billy revealed he tried to reach out to Michael Jackson before his death and invite him to a taping of the show ... explaining, "I just felt it would be good for Michael."

Billy never revealed if MJ ever took him up on his offer.

Miley Cyrus Scandals

The Topless 'Vanity Fair' Shoot

People were outraged when Miley posed topless (but covered) in 2008 for Annie Leibovitz's infamous Vanity Fair shoot. Miley issued an apology, saying, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

The Inappropriate Photo

It's the photo that spawned a $4 billion lawsuit — the one of Miley and pals mocking Asian people by slanting their eyes. The photo came out in February, 2009 and prompted this apology: "I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be." By the way ... a judge threw out the massive lawsuit against Miley.

Miley Hits the Pole

In August of 2009, 16-year-old Miley pole danced during her performance at the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS ... and pissed off parents around the country in the process. Billy Ray defended her again, saying, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people. I always tell her to love what you're doing and stay focused for the love of the art and not worry so much about opinion."

Miley Partying with a Bong

Miley's latest scandal — she celebrated her 18th birthday last year by taking a huge bong rip ... on video. As we first reported, sources close to Miley say she wasn't smoking weed — rather a substance called salvia that's legal in California. Miley broke her silence about the video two months after we posted it, saying, "I'm not perfect ... I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans."

Miley -- It's Corona Time

In November of last year, Miley was photographed with a Corona during a trip to Spain. But thanks to lax drinking laws there — people as young as 16 are allowed to consume — Miley wasn't on the hook for underage drinking.

Josh

He asked Michael Jackson to be on 'Hannah Montana'? Everyone knows he more of a 'Suite Life of Zack and Cody' kinda guy.

SUN

I believe him... I think he is a good and down- to- earth person at heart. Lesson learned- money, or toomuch fame seems to ruin everything good.

Atlantaguy

Actually, Billy, I think it was your hair that destroyed your family.

Delmar

Oh yes, the armchair quarterbacks have come out. Those pretenders that actually delude themselves into thinking they have one iota of a clue of how the multi-million dollar machine of big business doings in entertainment works. Oh yes, it's just like our lives, we have to discipline are children. Miley Cyrus is not like your children, she's not even like other big time Disney celebrities like Selena Gomez. Selena is a huge star, but if they were buildings Selena would be a 70 story building where Miley Cyrus would be a 160... storey skyscraper. She is a mega-mega-mega star. If you don't believe she has talent fine, but I think she would have been a mega star Hannah Montana or not. Billy Ray cares about two things in the full interview which all of you should read before commenting. He cares about his daughter in Hollywood and the pitfalls and dangers of fame and he cares about his family. He did not make money off of Miley, he wasn't interested in that. His bond with Miley is severely compromised, he's seen others get sucked in and destroyed, and he's raising concerns. He's lamenting what he could have done and how he allowed certain things to happen. It's heartfelt and he comes across as a very decent man.

Lohan comparisons are nonsense. Miley is a self-assured, confident public personality and Lohan is a meek, defensive, and week public personality. These two young women are nothing alike. Maybe the family pressures can get to Miley, no one has a crystal ball to tell, but anyone observing Miley in action can see huge difference between her and Lindsay Lohan and in their families.

One more thing. Dolly Parton is Miley's godmother and Dolly has a whole community/family of people behind her. Hopefully, Dolly, Billy Ray are all in communication and their word will have impact on Miley. What I want to see is Miley and Billy Ray's relationship mended and solid, whatever happens with the divorce, Miley takes strength in being close to both of her parents.

mija

Wow, he's comparing his daughter to Anna Nicole. That's not good. He's not owning up to her bad behavior.

Bren

Michael Lohan 2.0
He is already starting with the blame game. As her legal guardian, could he not prevent her from having the scandalous photos taken and the pole dancing? How did her "handlers" prevent him from properly parenting? Sounds to me that he either did not pay enough attention to what was going on, or was too lax in his parenting.

Violette-Blue

So, it was okay to put Miley on tv when she was young and wanted to be an actor. She became famous & rich. Now that Billy Ray can't control his 18 year old daughter or her money anymore he wants to blame the show for his marital problems? I think not! Dude. Whatever your personal issues are your personal issues. Don't blame the show now that it's over. Take responsibility for yourself. Your an f'ing adult. I'm sure Miley is happy she did Hannah Montana. She became famous, rich and well-known. I think you are just jealous Billy Ray.

DTLAlofter

Billy Ray...you could have stopped it any time. Don't blame the show. Satan...more like poor parenting.

get real

Correct. The Money Probably Stopped for Him now that the show is OVER> On the Grammys Sunday Night, Someone made a Joke about getting HIGH with Miley Back Stage. It Must be Known around HOllywood, she is getting Out Of Control. For Billy Ray to Actually say.. He Can see another Anna Nicole Coming in her? This is Bad. Innocent Miley Grew up and found she can do what she wants... Someone Help her.

TxGal

Really (rolling eyes) and how come he didn't think about this when he was taking there money.

haha

It isn't as if people don't know what frequently happens to child stars. People are aware of the path of Bonaduce, Haim, Barrymore, Lohan, Coleman...etc Maybe they are the exception not the norm, but that's a gamble you choose.

Bec215

Hollywood is for hypocrites. He hasn't had a music hit since 2002, and pimped out his daughter to the industry, then lived off her career for the last seven years. Is it any wonder she's messed up????

patty

Bunch of hillbillies!!!

moonshake

Yah --it's 'satan's' fault not yours Billy Ray. play that bogus we're good christians card again.
re: ""there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan."

Tara

Dear Billy Ray,

I am hurt and confused that you have chosen to blame me for your problems. Unfortunately for me, you f****** it up before I even had a chance to help! That hurt me terribly as I love to destroy families.

Satan