Mike Starr -- Mixing Drugs Hours Before Death

3/9/2011 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Alice in Chains bass player Mike Starr was "mixing" methadone and anxiety medication hours before he died ... this according to Mike's roommate.

Mike Starr Drugs

The roommate tells TMZ ... Mike had been using methadone recently in an effort to get sober -- but he had also been taking medication to battle anxiety issues he had been suffering from since his arrest last month.

We're told Mike was doing a pretty good job managing his medication -- but according to Mike's roommate, Starr was "mixing" the meds Monday night .. just hours before he died.

Law enforcement sources tell us Mike's official cause of death has yet to be determined.

Starr's roommate added, "Mike was a beautiful person who was fighting to stay sober ... I am going to miss him greatly."

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Sammi

Drugs are a choice people....Don't use them and you won't get addicted!! It's so simple! Obviously, this guy didn't follow that rule!!! OY!

ellie

hey carl at the same time make sure you remeber that he checked himself into the rehab. he wanted to get better. and at the same time it was a huge accomplishment for him. not only was he an awesome bass player but he was a recovering addict, and im sure he would be happy about that.

bud

The episode of Celebrity Rehab where Mike barfs up corn all over the place and walks away to let Shelly clean it up is forever burned on my brain. He obviously had a nice side, but wasn't exactly a saint either.

bud

Al

I've been battling addiction since I was 13 yrs old. I'm 51 and till this day, every day is a challenge. I'm lucky to still be here. If it wasn't for the support of my family and friends I'd be dead. I know that Mike tried his hardest. Sometimes that isn't enough. RIP Mike. I know your struggles. My heart goes out to your family and friends.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12