'Big Love' Star Identity Crisis

I'm Changing My Name!

3/18/2011 4:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Big Love" star Ginnifer Goodwin -- whose REAL first name is actually spelled "Jennifer" -- wants to make her stage name official ... and she just filed papers with an L.A. court to make it happen.

0318_ginnifer_doc_launch_EX
The actress filed the docs yesterday in L.A. County Superior Court -- requesting that a judge legally change her name from "Jennifer" to her professional name, stat ... but she'll have to wait a couple more months before it's official.

When it comes down to it, she's a real G.

♥TMZ but ...

slow news week

Jeanie

I never realized how many actors/actresses have had name changes...I always wondered why there were hardly any ordinary/average sounding names in Hollywood.

Ginnifer I guess is more unique to Jennifer...

Reilly

I'm a Ginny, and I always have people calling me Jenny or Jennifer. It's a pain to have an uncommon name and have people constantly confuse it with a more pedestrian, boring-ass name.

mondo

What a F*cking Idiot!!!

mark

she bugs me....always looks annoyed. be grateful you are working...oh...and you are not that hot of an actress either...so get over yourself.

Anonymous

Yeah, heaven forbid anybody actually have a NORMAL name these days! Hint: Having a weird name or an unusual spelling of a common name doesn't make you special! It just causes confusion for everybody else. How full of yourself do you have to be anyway to waste everybody else's time requesting a LEGAL name change for such a minor change to the name you already have? I hope that if she ever has children, she'll at least have the sense enough not to name her kid something like Apple!

growup

"Ginnifer" looks so stupid... like you can't spell. why would anyone want to change their name to something stupid looking?

jack

what a pretentious thing to do. Who is she anyway?

mondo

It's like an f*cking insult to your Mother who named you!!!

jennifer

I'm a Jennifer and gave up the creative spellings of my name when I was about 12. What's the point; weird spelling or not your name is still common.

Betty