Celeb Chef -- Too Busy for 'Make-A-Wish' Kid

3/25/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had to break some bad news to a 6-year-old cancer patient this week ... when Food Network star Ina Garten informed them she was too busy to cook a meal with the boy ... TMZ has learned.

Ina Garten Enzo

A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us ... a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.

Enzo told Make-A-Wish ... he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.

M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year ... but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.  The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available.

We're told the organization went back to Ina this year ... but her team responded with a "definite no" ... once again, citing scheduling conflicts.

A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken ... and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

When we called Make-A-Wish for comment on this story, they told us, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people’s best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

They noted that Ina is a "good friend" of the foundation.

A rep for Garten tells us, "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

The rep continues, "Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

We're told Enzo has now made a new wish -- he wants to swim with dolphins ... and he's already taking lessons to make his dream come true.

Previous 15 Comments | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102

Plinky Plunky

Just because someone is a celebrity it doesn't mean they have to jump up for every charity that happens to ask them.
Just because someone is dying it doesn't mean you should grant his every wish.

sorca

i think it is easy to make judgments about other people and what they do or dont do. if a person is going to make judgments on other peoples lives (and indeed why they consider it is right to do so) surely it is necessary to make sure that the information available is accurate?

Sally

I always found Ina to be creepy, this seals it...she is a #1 creep. Thank God she had no children, I could imagine what type of heartless parent she would have made. The way she fawns over Jeffrey is creepy. I know I keep using the word creepy but it is the perfect adjective for her! Her laugh is creepy, too! I wish someone would throw her a bottle of shampoo and tell her to wash her hair once in a while, one day grease from her hair is gonna fall into one of her dishes She reminds me of the type of person that would have really smelly b.o.

Anna wrote:
"I know for a fact that other celebrities have turned away requests from Make-A-Wish. Why focus on Ina Garten?"
I think the reason that the focus is on Ina is because she is NOT that big a celebrity and am sure she had a few hours in her day she could have squeezed in for this boy...
What a CREEP!!!

rose

still in food network! this trash ina garten!
food network dont know that people hate ina garten?

Vicki

I'd rather go on Ace of Cakes besides she is ugly with an ugly heart, besides the Ace of Cakes people would be more fun.

Kathleen

I am dumb founded.This person is not worth the considerable space she takes up. I understand she is busy,but... exactly how many Make A Wish requests has she had? My bet is a sum total of one. He is a child,show a little compassion. Of course, that word is likely not to be found in Mrs. Gartens' limited vocabulary. I have never understood why this self congratulatory,mean spirited snob was given a show in the first place.Now I'm truly at a loss.Not that I ever watched her show routinely. I find her insufferable . Rest assured, I will continue to channel surf right past her self absorbed face in the future.

jaime

I'm not defending her inactions, but what are all of you H8rs doing for others?

nothingnew

NEWS FLASH: IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE HAMPTONS, YOU WILL NEVER MEET INA GARTEN. BUT WHO WANTS TO MEET HER???? I WOULDVE PICK TEN OTHER FOOD NETWORK HOSTS BEFORE INA WAS EVEN A PLAN Z...POOR KID...

Bonny

whats wrong with you people! you can't just cancel a book tour! your all idiots!!!!!! she is the sweetest lady! so get over it!

Julia

I haven't watched her show since this happened. I cannot even look at her. It's so sad that people who have don't realize how blessed they are and give back. To deny a childs dying wish.....UNBELIEVABLE. I thought for sure after this happened and all the bad press that they would take her off the food network.

jade

ina garten the fat selfish cow!! i loved her show and im never going to watch her show ever again!! i think it would be a different story if jefery had cancer!! wat is she being a pig for shes not that perfect!! and the barefoot contesa show should be takin off her!!

Previous 15 Comments | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102