Charlie Sheen in Chicago

The Blow-By-Blow

4/4/2011 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Sheen's Chicago show has ended -- and it was a definite improvement over Detroit. Read our live recap to see how it all went down.

Charlie Sheen in Chicago
8:15 PM -- No sign of Sheen yet.

8:20 PM -- The crowd just started a "Detroit sucks!" chant.

8:25 PM -- Charlie just read a poem about how much he hates Detroit.

8:27 PM -- Show definitely has a different feel than last night. Instead of Charlie on stage by himself, he has an interviewer of sorts asking him questions.

8:30 PM -- During a question about his marriages, Charlie referred to Brooke Mueller as "kidnapper bitch."

8:33 PM -- Charlie took off his shirt after someone in the crowd yelled, "Get naked." He traded shirts with a guy from the crowd who was much larger than him. Oh, forgot to mention -- after last night's performance, no opening comic this time.

8:42 PM -- Nothing too exciting. Telling stories, including the one about the first time he smoked weed ... with Chris Penn in Malibu.

8:50 PM -- The show is in intermission. Much more structured than last night's. So far, no booing.

9:14 PM -- And we're back! Sheen's got a fresh cig and talking about a party he went to once with Mick Jagger and Eddie Van Halen.

9:20 PM -- Charlie says he owes Heidi Fleiss $2 million. He tells the interviewer he pays for sex because he has millions.

9:25 PM -- Charlie says he was supposed to be in "The Karate Kid," but his dad told him to do a lesser movie instead. "My dad has great advice."

9:30 PM -- How's this for an about face -- Charlie said he would go back to "Two and Half Men," but he did say the people who run it are blood suckers. But he called Jon Cryer a "rock star."

9:45 PM -- Charlie is now reading a letter from one of the goddesses.

9:52 PM -- And with that letter ... the show is over. All in all, a much better experience than last night.

Autumn_in_Michigan

"Were they expecting Kid Rock and Eminem to show up or just assumed they would (like they always do when anyone HALFWAY entertaining is in town). (Maybe they refused to go on stage??? LOL)"

HardRock,

Don't know. Could be either way. In one pre-show interview on D radio Sheen said that he would welcome them and hoped they'd show up. He said that if Eminem showed up that he (sheen) would give up show business. Hyperbolic rhetoric of course but - Drat! So close but no cigar! I'll try to find a transcript online that I can share.

Lagoon

RR,

I'm not in the mental health field, so I can't diagnose CS, but I can say he is acting crazy. From what I've read and listened to, he seems to have several problems. If he wants help, he has to ask fo it. No one can rescue him, except his self. He has access to all the resources out there, if he chooses to seek them. There's so many Americans without health insurance and finances who wish they could receive professional help. I guess if he really needs it, but refuses to accept it, I can not allow myself to worry. Of course, I don't want to see anyone get hurt. He's on his own and that seems to be how he likes it, so let's just watch the show.

Mike

"Lohan had wanted the role of Superman's love-interest Lois Lane, but is said to be excited with the news that producers are still considering her for another gig in the much anticipated film, despite all her issues."

Therock,

I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Anyway, Lindsay would be waiting forever because - as difficult as it is to believe - Lois Lane isn't even IN the Superman reboot. The producers may have been looking to cast her in a role as reported by numerous online sources but that role was NEVER Lois Lane.

YAAAAAAA BOYYYYYYY

ENOUGH OF HIM!!!

Chaps

RR, Hardrock, Lagoon, Lori, many others with excellent posts,

I have been following the stories of some others with a similar malady that Charlie obviously appears to be suffering from.

One is in prison, probably for life (went to the pedophile side, and religious wise, see Warren Jeffs) and another who is vastly unsuccessful at similar attempts but puffs his chest up as bad as Charlie just the same.

The main malady? Narcissistic Personality Disorder IMHO

The symptoms have been noted and mentioned as a factor by doctors and FWIW attorneys involved in the matters.

Here is a link and the symptoms, read them and decide for yourself:

0-----------0

Symptoms:

A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:

React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation

Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals

Have excessive feelings of self-importance

Exaggerate achievements and talents

Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love

Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment

Need constant attention and admiration

Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy

Have obsessive self-interest

Pursue mainly selfish goals

------------

Autumn_in_Michigan

RR,

Posted at 4:32 PM on Apr 4, 2011 by Lagoon

~~~~~~~~~

See, right there that's what I mean about posters here at TMZ having so much good insight. You are exactly right - and I intend to follow your lead. Care for some popcorn :-).

No one can actually diagnose anyone without a specific data set including in person interviews, detailed family history, and so on - so none of us can actually diagnose him anyway.

Moreover, as I have said here before, psych diagnosis is as much an art as a science so even professionals who are actually formally engaged in the diagnostic process with an individual may disagree. Oh, my, the discussions that can take place around the case conference table make the ones here at TMZ look tame :-).

Anyway, I agree with your take - that he actually has several problems. The diagnosis would likely be quite complex. Nuff said. Butter for that popcorn :-)?

Chaps

RR

Thats true - if only Chuckles main problem was NPD. The crack hasnt helped that or his other issues - and whatever problems he has, the seem full blown.

Andrea Canning pointed to him being bi-polar - that is a pretty heavy diagnosis, and one I wouldnt think they would throw off the cuff.

However, Sheen Krack Korner seemed to be pretty dark ends of the pipe, opposite the "High" he oftentimes finds himself on.

I dont know if there is going to be a cure - as he said, he wont take meds to get himself normal. He enjoys being crazy and thinks thats his magic.

What is amazing and sad at the same time, are the people and enablers feeding it.

Lagoon

Chaps,

I can't remember the title or author, but I think the author felt all celebrities were narcissists. Makes sense. I guess that's just the tip of the iceberg, however.

Lagoon

I almost forgot...Sheen Krack Korner. Very funny.

Autumn_in_Michigan

RR, Hardrock, Lagoon, Lori, many others with excellent posts,

Posted at 4:43 PM on Apr 4, 2011 by Chaps

~~~~~~~~

Thanks Chaps. I totally relate to the fascination with studying public figures who seem to display traits of various mental health disorders. Even professionals sometimes don't tire of these pursuits - which given the typical case load you'd think they would.

I intend to keep my word to Lagoon and make some popcorn - but before I do I will throw possibly a little bit of your idea of fun your way.

Although I tend to favor a complex, multi-axis diagnosis for Charlie, I'd say that virtually no one I know would neglect to include the possibility of NPD. Diagnosis is a rule out process, btw. We start with a collection of possibilities to inform the assessment process and/or treatment plan. Then we systematically rule each one in or out.

I'd say that at the least one of the Cluster B PD with N traits is a sure bet. But why stop there? For your amusement, try reading up on all the various PD clusters and see what other behaviors might be diagnostic in this case. Then, look at mood disorders. Substance abuse disorder is a given of course but there is a LOT of variability there and how each class of drug interacts with PD & mood. Links below. Active abuse can confound diagnosis of PD & mood disorders. So forth and so on. Established sobriety may help with the diagnosis.

FYI, not all mental health pros accept that there is such a construct as a personality so of course it follows that they also don't subscribe to the notion of a personality disorder. Really, the field is much more diverse than most people realize. Lots of psychologists devalue parts or all of the clinical branch. In my own case, I started out as a physiological psych researcher (all that brain stuff in labs) and migrated to clinical work and then added on training in community counseling. There are plenty of well informed doubts on my part about the validity of various aspects of clinical work. Heathy skepticism I call it :-).

But, not to spoil your fun. Mental health is a valid construct and so is mental un-health - if you will. We have to start with what tools we have and just keep on making them better. As the old joke goes, that's why they call it "practice" :-.

Have fun.

Lagoon

"Have fun.

Posted at 5:19 PM on Apr 4, 2011 by RR"

RR and Chaps,

This is going to be a lot of fun. I have some of my own stuff to work on, but I will review these sites also.

To be continued...

Autumn_in_Michigan

RR

Posted at 4:56 PM on Apr 4, 2011 by Chaps

Chaps,

Posted at 5:08 PM on Apr 4, 2011 by Lagoon

~~~~~~~~~

Ah, geez, i think I smell popcorn burning - and besides my family thinks I've gone off on some sort of Grail Quest and they never see me anymore away from the computer. Even my dogs are misbehaving to get my attention....

Anyway.....:-)....Chaps see my previous response re drugs, etc. Lagoon, yep, that's a pretty prevalent notion in the mental health field.

Here's my take.

First of all, "normality" can be highly, HIGHLY over-rated. I don't even use that term. I follow the model of functionality. If it works and life is good for everyone involved, then that's normal enough for me.

Secondly, I don't believe in "cure" in most cases just successful management of symptoms.

Many professions display a corresponding set of specific mental health issues, including the mental health professions. There's a joke in psych departments - "Its not REsearch its MEsearch". Can't actually say whether we are looking at cause and effect relationships or simple correlation. Sometimes a specific disorder can be advantageous in a specific setting or occupation. Often people don't seek treatment because they are afraid of losing this advantage - sometime rightly so other times not so much.

For example, narcissists can be quite good at facilitating changes to societal structures and are usually good as entertainers or teachers. They will challenge norms and take on large crusades that most others will not.

Moreover, mental health is on a continuum not an either/or dichotomy. There is a functional end of the spectrum as well as a dysfunctional end of the same spectrum for all disorders. Sorta like - is a person a raging drunk who drives drunk with their kids in the car or is a person a sober, rehabilitated alcoholic.

Being a "functioning fill in the blank" can be sometimes be a good thing and sometimes not so much. Depends in part on the level of self awareness the person has about their own condition.

I will leave you to decide for yourselves where Charlie fits into all of the above - or not. I won't be offering any more of my own views (I hope) on the subject. Really do need to move on a bit.

tg

chicago NBC 10 o clock news ABC Chicago news show exiting fans positive feed back had a good time

Autumn_in_Michigan

I guest he is really on the D list now.

Posted at 3:06 PM on Apr 4, 2011 by CLOSE THE DOOR

Funny! And, yes I guess he is, too.

Lyle Wilder

At least Charlie hasn't sunken this far ... YET. I guess if they ever get around to doing that third "Three Men and a Baby" movie it will have to be called "Two Men, a Bride and a Flasher":

Previous 15 Comments | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments