Sidney Lumet Dies

4/9/2011 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Acclaimed director Sidney Lumet died at his home in Manhattan today from lymphoma. He was 86.

0409_Sydney_Lumet_GETTY_BN
Lumet directed a laundry list of classics, including "12 Angry Men," "Serpico," "Dog Day Afternoon," "The Wiz," "Network," "The Verdict," and most recently "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead."

He was nominated for the Oscar for Best Director five times, but never won. In 2005, he was given an honorary Oscar.

Jack

Top man. In my humble opinion Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon were the dog's bollocks.

Bubbles The Chimp

'Dog Day Afternoon'... Great Movie.

RIP Tickface

Zuul

His name is "Sidney Lumet," not "Sydney." He's kind of, you know, a Hollywood legend. I bet this site never misspells "Snooki" or "Lohan," though.

Cankle

You're. Duh.

TMZgossip

what an awesome list of films he directed!!!

Network (my fav)
The Verdict
Dog Day
Murder on the Orient Express
The Anderson Tapes
Morning After

Mr Baxter

RIP, one of the greatest directors. I didn't realize he was 86, he was always active.

barf

awesome movies...

RIP and thanks for the work...

oh and TMZ, there's a difference between your and you're. just saying...

Courtney

#6 I couldn't agree with you more and you forgot 12 Angry Men & Big Hand For The Little Lady. Infact I was just watching the verdict a little while ago in his honor may he rest in peace

cjs

Loved his work, if 12 Angry Men is on I stay for the entire movie every time .

Tea Party Mom

My favorite of Mr. Lumet's is "The Wiz," starring Diana Ross, Michael Jackson and Nipsey Russell. It's the Afro-American version of The Wizard of Oz, and has that jazzy song Ease on Down the Road.

katie10

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead."

you are such idiots, it's YOU'RE as in YOU ARE...! English 101. Harvery, you need to send your high school staff back to get their GED's.

Larry Bobker

Yes it would be nice if you could spell his first name correctly!!!! Its not "Sydney"!!!
Its "Sidney"!!!! I'm sure that you NEVER misspell Britney, (NO TALENT) Spears!!!
Who if she lived a thousand lifetimes could not touch a Sidney Lumet's, (AWESOME), Talent!!!!!!
I am very familiar with the great Sidney Lumet's dramatic masterpieces, and all I can say is
thank you Sidney for your wonderful gift to the art of dramatic storytelling films!!!
May you truly rest in piece my friend!!!!

Chris

Who are the idiots who work on the weekend? They can't spell or proofread worth a crap.

Your = You're

Dumbasses. ALL of the mistakes on here are on the weekends. Didn't you people pay attention in elementary school? DUH!

Zippy T. Pinhead

12 Angry Men was a genius movie. Very low budget but highly entertaining. My hat goes off to Mr. Lumet.

jackmama311

see Network, great piece of work, incredible, top shelf. i lower my head for the family, a great loss to the movie junkies like me, raise a glass people.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments