Susan Lucci BLINDSIDED By Cancellation

4/16/2011 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Susan Lucci had NO IDEA her show was in danger of being cancelled ... in fact, just THREE days before the announcement, the "All My Children" star ADAMANTLY denied the soap was on the chopping block.

0415_susan_lucci_video_ex
TMZ ran into Lucci at The Grove in L.A. on Monday (see above) and when we asked if the show she's starred on for 41 years was on the hot seat, Susan replied, "No truth to that rumor ... not at all."

We spoke to Lucci's daughter, Liza Huber, who told us the soap star only learned about the show's fate on Thursday -- at the same time producers informed the rest of the cast -- and Susan was "upset" by the news.

But fear not Lucci fans -- Liza tells us her mother has NO plans to retire ... and she's already receiving offers to do other TV shows and various projects.

Sam

She's a survivor and will be fine. Now she is free to be on DWTS, Survivor and other reality soaps.

jennifer

I used to watch AMC regularly but stopped because of Susan Lucci's character and the old and tired storylines. I think the soaps lose many watchers due to boredom. Like any show on TV daytime or primetime if the writers don't keep things fresh and the producers insist on keeping the same actors then you end up with 20 years of the same crap repeating over and over.

NelsonH

The ABC network is about to feel like NBC - "Hey, uh, why are there no viewers?!?"

Courtney

um when you've been on a show for over 40 years and it's cancelled because of declining ratings obviously it's a painful thing.

Wishbone

Gotta hand it to SL. This lady CAN NOT act, but she's managed to stay on this show for all these years and get stinkin' rich doing so. Good for her!

Sandra

She was lucky to have lasted so long!! Have never been a fan as she presents as so plastic!!

mc

she's the original lollipop

theresa

Susan Lucci is the only reason I ever watched AMC - An American Icon - Erica Kane could EASILY leave Pine Valley and move to Port Charles to begin a new life.....Erica wouldn't skip a beat.

donna raider

For Lucci to be so blindsided I am very shocked. One of the reason I seen on my computer that ABC moved AMC to California was to lower expense and to shake things up so the show could be saved. Well once they moved I could not see the stories getting any better. I have watched AMC since it started. And for the last several years it has not been the soap it once was. Then for ABC to do away with One Life To Live to.OLTL by no means deserves to be canceled.Lucci or no Lucci AMC was terrible. General Hospital will be next. Mark my words..

Me

RoastBeef

Tough days for Susan!
Maybe she'll have to go to the foodbank now?

Mr.McNasty

people sad about ****ty t.v. getting cancelled?... now a few fat housewives might get off their fat american asses...how terrible

Shanan Li

I was never a Susan Lucci fan. However, she has done a lot for the soaps and she deserved more then what ABC has done to her and so many others. All fans, boycott the new daytime show on CBS and ABC. Support Y&R, B&B and GH---I think that is all of the soaps out there. Do not support The Chew, The Talk, Let's Make a Deal and so on.

Mr.McNasty

I've been watching ALC for 41 years. It's the only daytime show I watch. I hope some chanel will have reruns!....

seriously?? not only is it bad enough you are addicted to a horrible show for years but now you wont let go and want freaking reruns?? get a life!

northern gypsy