Mel Gibson: The Tapes Don't Define Me

4/22/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has broken his silence over those incendiary audio tapes, saying, "It's one terribly awful moment in time, said to one person in the span of one day, and doesn't represent what I truly believe or how I've treated people my entire life."

0309_mel_gibson_TMZ_BN

In the wide-ranging interview with deadlinehollywood.com, Mel says, "I've never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality."

Mel shrugs off the torrent of criticism over the tapes, which he claims "have been edited," saying "I don't blame some people for thinking [I'm bigoted] though, from all the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes."

Mel also talks about the TMZ story in 2006, in which we published 4 pages of the arrest report which detail his anti-Semitic rant.  As we reported, at the time of the arrest, Mel felt the incident would be the last straw in his marriage.  Turns out it was true.  Mel tells "Deadline" he and his wife separated the day after the arrest.

Mel is mum on his battle with Oksana Grigorieva, but, as we first reported, says he pled no contest in the criminal case so he wouldn't drag his family through the mud.

The well-done interview also goes into great detail about Mel's new movie, "The Beaver," which some critics say is Mel's best performance ever.  The movie opens next month.

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

CacaPooPoo

I'm over it. Besides, I don't know the guy. His movies are usually pretty good so I couldn't care less what he believes in his personal life. Can't wait for The Beaver.

angelika466

TMZgossip less than a minute ago

angelika466 4 minutes ago

FlBiker 3 minutes ago

guess you are staff since your profile is unavailable.
...

FlBiker

Joined:

not on my screen. how the heck are you tmzg? always nice to hear from you good or bad.

stumpy

Thank god there wasn't a recording device around
when i found out my ex wife had a boyfriend and a girlfriend on the side

TMZgossip

i'm good angelika466

when you go to the profile page, just ass a -1 after a name that doesnt show up

if that doesnt work, try -2 or -3 etc

angelika466

oh, one more thing tmzg you still owe me a story. well?

TMZgossip

oh yeah.... I forgot all about that
I will need to come up with something before beaver time

Kilmerfan

Mel confirmed the tapes are edited, so they are fake. This is a early Easter treat for me.

Team Mel Forever!

angelika466

TMZgossip about a minute ago

i'm good angelika466

when you go to the profile page, just ass a -1 after a name that doesnt show up

if that doesnt work, try -2 or -3 etc

thanks,
but isn't that other users?

TMZgossip

not if their post shows up in it.
that just means there was a banning or something at 1 time

TMZgossip

'have been edited' doesn't mean they are fake

Lori

I'm SHOCKED...SHOCKED I tell you! Its been at least 45 min. and there are only 30 comments so far?

Wow...Team Melvin is slacking, must be a big garage sale in Kentucky.

nolamacdonalde

“Can you go one day without doing that?” He says, disgust purposefully slipping through his lips as if I had some kind of chronic illness I was “able” to control.
Paint Zoom

angelika466

Lori less than a minute ago

Wow...Team Melvin is slacking, must be a big garage sale in Kentucky.

don't be it's another no news story.

angelika466

oh, nite all

MoonDust

People this man is a racist bigot! he makes south pake look like disneyland