Mel Gibson: The Tapes Don't Define Me

4/22/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has broken his silence over those incendiary audio tapes, saying, "It's one terribly awful moment in time, said to one person in the span of one day, and doesn't represent what I truly believe or how I've treated people my entire life."

0309_mel_gibson_TMZ_BN

In the wide-ranging interview with deadlinehollywood.com, Mel says, "I've never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality."

Mel shrugs off the torrent of criticism over the tapes, which he claims "have been edited," saying "I don't blame some people for thinking [I'm bigoted] though, from all the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes."

Mel also talks about the TMZ story in 2006, in which we published 4 pages of the arrest report which detail his anti-Semitic rant.  As we reported, at the time of the arrest, Mel felt the incident would be the last straw in his marriage.  Turns out it was true.  Mel tells "Deadline" he and his wife separated the day after the arrest.

Mel is mum on his battle with Oksana Grigorieva, but, as we first reported, says he pled no contest in the criminal case so he wouldn't drag his family through the mud.

The well-done interview also goes into great detail about Mel's new movie, "The Beaver," which some critics say is Mel's best performance ever.  The movie opens next month.

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

Annie

Kilmerfan about a minute ago

Oksana would not know the truth if it walked up and bit her in the a$$.

*********************

No, but she would try to take out a false DV claim on it ; )

Mark Philip Venema

People sure know how to dish out junk in these comments.

Houses with no mirrors and too much to time to comment?

diogenes

I will agree with TMZ that the interview is well done and detailed.

Midwesterner

Mark Philip Venema 6 minutes ago

People sure know how to dish out junk in these comments.

Houses with no mirrors and too much to time to com

________________________

Welcome aboard.

Zooma Zoom

Go Mel!

Damon

What's in the well comes up in the pail!

Gibson grew-up under the WHITE AUSTRALIA POLICY, which denied entry, citizenship and deported non-white europeons, with the exception being native/aboriginals.

This policy didn't end until 1975 and wasn't enforced by the government until 1979/80. The only reason was their alignment with the US for mutual protection AKA (ANZUS).

Have you heard his father speak? That's the way he was raised in Australia and it was the norm!
Listening to his outburst over the years is just like listening to his father. Robin seems to have had the best influence on him but grew tired of his behavior.

Firefly

How many times does a man have to say he's sorry for you Mel haters to finally forgive. If you found yourself in the kind of frame up that Mel was put through and with a gag order in place and you being the only one that follows the law? Please tell me, is it OK in your eyes to lie and scam and cheat and destroy people? But it's not OK to try to save a child from harm? Or it's not OK to yell when you find out you've been scammed and extorted. Do y'all really not see she has broken laws? Do y'all really not see that she destroys men without a second thought. Do Y'all think it's OK for her to blow everyone for everything she has or has she blown everything for no reason. LOL

Kelly

Oh, please. You're all so pious. If someone were to record me when I'm flipping a ****, people would probably be horrified, but Mel is right. The way someone behaves when they're furious is NOT indicative of how the person generally behaves. Who hasn't said, "I hate you" or "I hope you die" or even worse when they're angry? Anyone who says they haven't is a liar.

anonym

"It doesn't do any good [to air the dirty laundry publicly]," Gibson said. "Maybe, when this is all over and hopefully, justice is achieved, maybe I could say something. But I'd never want to leave anything lying around that would...A lot of damage has been done. I don't want to add to it."

GO MEL!

Firefly

TMZgossip,

Now you know there has been a lot of personal chatter on the last Mel thread because of the long drought in Mel stories. So no, not paid, just waiting and killing time until the newest thread.

TMZgossip

Firefly less than a minute ago

TMZgossip,

...

so why is it you think the detractors are 'paid', considering the # of hours ya'll spend defending the creepy fugger?

Muppet

It makes me giggle to see people putting Mel Gibson down. They are for the most part saying things far worse than Mel did. Happy hating.

Nice to see Mel talking about this. It's about time. I only wish he could tell everything!! Write a book Mel!!!!

bruisednotbroken

When someone shows you who they are the first time--believe them. Gibson has shown us many times he is a racist/abuser/misogynist/drunk how many more times does he have to show it. Hopefully the next woman he meets won't end up dead.

azlee

haven't read anything, but ok Mel said the phone calls were from day. WOW! That is one hell of a fight.

I'd rather listen to a video of this interview because you never get the right tones in a dictation.

I do get one thing though, he just wants it to be his business, not ours. I guess I should hang up the TMZ things on mel, because although we tried to help, we don't.

Mel Gibson, you are really honest and absolutely admirable. You fall, you get up. You fall again and never give yourself a break of your conduct. No excuses.

I wish you a healthy life with your kids, your ex wife (almost) and with your friends. Salud!

Muppet

Many times? Please do list these many times. Can you provide some links to back up what you say? I'd be interested in reading these. Thanks in advance.