Mel Gibson: The Tapes Don't Define Me

4/22/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has broken his silence over those incendiary audio tapes, saying, "It's one terribly awful moment in time, said to one person in the span of one day, and doesn't represent what I truly believe or how I've treated people my entire life."

0309_mel_gibson_TMZ_BN

In the wide-ranging interview with deadlinehollywood.com, Mel says, "I've never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality."

Mel shrugs off the torrent of criticism over the tapes, which he claims "have been edited," saying "I don't blame some people for thinking [I'm bigoted] though, from all the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes."

Mel also talks about the TMZ story in 2006, in which we published 4 pages of the arrest report which detail his anti-Semitic rant.  As we reported, at the time of the arrest, Mel felt the incident would be the last straw in his marriage.  Turns out it was true.  Mel tells "Deadline" he and his wife separated the day after the arrest.

Mel is mum on his battle with Oksana Grigorieva, but, as we first reported, says he pled no contest in the criminal case so he wouldn't drag his family through the mud.

The well-done interview also goes into great detail about Mel's new movie, "The Beaver," which some critics say is Mel's best performance ever.  The movie opens next month.

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

azlee

gossip says stuff to get a knee jerk reaction out of you ladies. It works every time. He can come on for a post or two and it goes on for a long time. He can close out his browser and come back later and get a chuckle (which isn't nice dude!). If you sit behind a screen for hours you just have fun, but I have a feeling in the geek world, and nose to nose....he would provide a good fight...techy fight but a good fight.
wink

skhg

There's nothing to forgive! The people criticizing him, have probably done twice as bad, if not worse. Live your life Mel! Make more movies, and stop worrying about it. You've still got an awful lot of people pulling for you. :)

TMZgossip

Sam
I question why you all think detractors are paid, and then are so confrontational when you fraus are accused of the same thing.

why is that?
why are the people that disagree with YOU, labeled by YOU as being Oxy or Horowitz or Jimmy?

Midwesterner

stef 6 minutes ago

To those of you 'forgiving' Mel...I'm curious as to why? I'm not talking about the alleged physical abuse from him/Oksana's alleged extortion...I'm talking about the fact that he repeatedly used the 'N' word during these phone rants...and as we know, made terrible comments about the Jews a few years back when he also claimed those comments were 'not the real Mel', just like he did above. Apparently, the 'real Mel' IS racist...so why do so many forgive him each time he opens his mouth and makes these terrible comments?

_______________________________

I don't forgive him--because I don't see anything he needs to be forgiven for.

No, he did not "repeatedly used the 'N' word during these phone rants." He used it once.

What matters is how you treat people, not your word choice. If Whoopi Goldberg and Danny Glover can overlook Gibson's use of this word--in a private conversation--and remain his loyal friends, who am I (or you) to declare he is a racist?

azlee

funny, I didn't know Mel Gibson was any part of our family or friends that we have a right to forgive him or not forgive him. Who is he to us? He is an actor/director/producer. He has his own life, he has never touched little girls...never killed anyone, never took money from me.

Why does my forgiveness mean anything....I could just see God sitting up there patting his foot at me, saying and you think you are who?!

Stacy

Great interview !! Mel sounded so intelligent ( especially compared to Oksana).
He said there are lots of legal things pending..very interesting! Maybe Oinky will still go to jail somehow. :)

azlee

alright it is bed time and gots lots of ordering to do tomorrow. night all

keep it light!!

Muppet

Firefly

TMZg,

I honestly don't believe that these posters are paid LOL. I just throw back at them what they say to us for the fun of it. You can just picture them hopping up and down, turning red face with steam coming out their ears because they take it so seriously.

azlee

an ending thought...I really want to see the Beaver. I know they research this stuff before doing it and I think it might have something that can help me with my son. If not that, it will be a good conversation thing with people.

Midwesterner

Stacy about a minute ago

Great interview !! Mel sounded so intelligent ( especially compared to Oksana).

____________________________________

I don't know what to think about this. Legal things pending could mean "I expect to be in family court with Sanny at least once a year until Lucia is eighteen" or "I'm on probation for three years" or "Sanny could still file a civil case, so I can't say much." In other words, the pending things could be things we already know about.

Or . . .

TMZgossip

Firefly less than a minute ago

TMZg,

...

the new faces will be here until the story drops off the front page.
then ya'll will get time to pile on 1500+ 'we hate oxy' posts

Firefly

Night azlee,

Pleasant dreams*******

Frieda

Mel is awesome - love love love him! What class he has, what brilliance! Screw the sick, twisted trashy bitch who has tried to **** on his life and family.

kali

Muppet 8 minutes ago I don't think I need to forgive Mel. I don't think I should've been privy to his private conversations in the first place. I think Oksana is the one that should be ashamed. Stooping so low as to tape a private conversation and then edit it so it sounds worse for her benefit is dispicable. She should be the one asking forgiveness.
_____________