« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Atlanta Braves Coach Placed on 'Administrative Leave'

4/29/2011 12:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Atlanta Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell has been placed on "administrative leave" -- after he allegedly hurled several gay slurs at male fans during a game in San Francisco last weekend.

0429_Roger_McDowell_getty_bn

As we previously reported, a family of four -- including two 9-year-old girls -- went public with their accusations this week ... claiming McDowell made several homophobic remarks toward fans at AT&T Park ... and then mockingly proceeded to simulate gay sex with a baseball bat.

The father of the family claims he confronted McDowell -- who allegedly responded by approaching him with the bat, and saying, "How much are your teeth worth?"

McDowell has since apologized for the outburst -- but the Braves have suspended his coaching duties pending an investigation into the allegations.

UPDATE: GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios just released a statement, telling TMZ, “It remains to be seen whether the Atlanta Braves will take real disciplinary action and send a clear message that there is no place for anti-gay remarks or violent threats in baseball."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

tgrfan42069

***GOT ***GOT ***GOT ***GOT....uh oh i better quit my job now cause i said ***got.

sean

Thought police coming to a brain near yours........ soon.

sean

Lets go Mets..

McDowell was a key component in the 1986 World Series champion New York Mets and was the winning pitcher in the deciding Game 7.

babs

Slur and lewd actions have no place in the public arena. This coach showed a complete lack of respect for the sport of baseball, his team and the spectators.

the Seeker

Up-iddy homos trying to ram their gay agenda down our throats

Kiko

Why is always, and I mean ALWAYS, these kinda guys that end up getting busted for trying to get blowies in public bathrooms?

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Not even an issue about being politically correct, & I couldn't care less about that part of it. This guy does not belong in professional baseball. His bs goes way back to the '80s when he was a whiny little pitcher. There's nothing professional about him, & the things he did & said were absolutely egregious. Kids don't belong at a ballpark? REALLY? Are you that much of an idiot? OK then, cars don't belong on the bridge you're going to buy from me you big dumb douchebag. This guy is no sportsman & does not represent what MLB should be, but unfortunately in the last 10 years or so is sorely lacking. Send him down to the minors, & keep him away from the little leaguers.

Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher

I have been a gay rights advocate for 40 years, and a well know baseball fan for over 25 years. I've seen every game that his teams(Mets,Phillies,Dodgers)played in Chicago during his Major League career. He is a great fan favorite, always having fun with those off us in the bleachers. Not once did I ever see him make any obscene or anti-gay gesture in that time. Roger has apologized, and I recommend he make a contribution to the S.F. Harvey Milk Academy and the Atlanta Gay Community Center... as for the family of the purported incident... I found their recreation of the acts they say took place, in front of the kids
in the Lawyer's office disgusting. I urge everyone, to accept Roger's apology and hope to see him back coaching the Braves A.S.A.P.! The Bleacher Preacher

GeneL

See, the thing is, these celebs/sports stars who blurt out what might be perceived as offensive to some (even though it might be true) simply can't erase the damage with hollow and meaningless apologies after the fact...the damage is already done and they have shown their true colors and, such as this case, homophobic tendencies. The suspension and an other penalties this coach has to make is quite in order...this guy's a real jerk.

LBjim

He's is gonna get fired. It is hard to come back after what he did..A--hole!!..plus Dennis Lowe got a DUI last night..That pitching staff is hit man!!...KARMA lurks, If I was on that staff I would want to get traded or something bad will happen to me...

s

I agree-what he did was WAY WRONG but didn't Kobe do the same thing to an official?????

Marty

If Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger can call guys "GIRLYMEN" and not get put on Administrative leave, then why should Roger McDowell?

I'm just askin.

Johnny

I hope he gets fired, the Mets could use a good pitching coach.

MoonDust

Poor dude, all he said was what everyone knows about the gays and their promiscuity, he was just being honest and keeping it real.

mike

First off I don't like the guy saying the things that he did, and he should be punished... BUT this PC crap is out of control.. The more you use this as an opportunity to crucify a person the more The mass amount of the Public will start to turn against the cause. What alred did was to bring bad attention to the situation. Even Harvey has to see this as a Battle that shouldn't be fought.