LA Restaurant Defends Itself in Pink Donkey Fiasco

5/7/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A famous Los Angeles restaurant is fighting back against claims it abused a donkey as part of a Cinco de Mayo stunt ... claiming the animal was perfectly cared for at all times.

0507_pink_taco_ex

Pink Taco took a lot of flack from locals -- and even on Twitter by a few celebs, like Pink and Lo Bosworth -- for dying a donkey pink and using it to promote the restaurant.

But a rep for Pink Taco tells TMZ, "We obtained a permit from the city to have the animal on site and the pink coloring used on the donkey was a safe, water-based and commonly used on animals in the entertainment industry. Additionally, the donkey’s trainer escorted him the entire appearance, he was on a leash, not a chain as reported in the media, and we provided plenty of water and care to him throughout."

The rep tells TMZ they have spoken with PETA about the incident and have decided it was in their best interest to not do anymore animal-related promotions in the future.

elle

Just goes to show that if there were no PETA or ASPCA, all animals would be at the mercy of people who have no regard for their value or their life.

Woot

@ Debbie: "There is[sic] more important issues to be concerned about than a donkey being painted with dye."

For YOU. But I spend a great deal of time helping animals because there are too many people like you who don't, or worse, actually perpetrate the very problems I'm trying to rectify.

Oh, and it's "...there ARE..."
(Is that the other important issue you were referring to? Editing?)

Chaz

dimes

This is the definition of a PR stunt gone horribly wrong. That poor animal.
***************************

Reminds me of the flying turkeys Thanksgiving episode of WKRP.

justsaying

Why is everyone so afraid of PETA? And you people need to take a chill pill. Just cool the f&ck out. No one can say or do anything in todays world unless some organization or some a&&hole with nothing to do have to make waves. It's a frigging donkey. They didn't dye your two year old son.

spyke

This is why I keep saying PETA does more harm than good. People are so sick of their terrorist tactics and sticking their nose into things they know nothing about, when they do have a valid point everybody just scoffs and you can't blame them. This restaurant should be boycotted right out of business and for everyone who thinks there are worse problems in the world..etc...should we turn our backs every time an animal, child or adult is abused just because there are worse problems in the world? No one should ever dye their animals fur. You want something pink, go shave your own head and dye it pink. There are simply not enough strict laws protecting animals.

spyke

Report Chaz 24 minutes ago dimes

This is the definition of a PR stunt gone horribly wrong. That poor animal.
***************************

Reminds me of the flying turkeys Thanksgiving episode of WKRP.
_________________________________________________________________
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Carl

I probably wouldn't eat there simply because of the name. I'm not offended by it, I just find that restaurants that use joke or gimmick names tend to care more about their image than the quality of the food they serve. Anyway, the best Mexican places are holes in the wall where they barely speak any English.

GreyWolf

This is so stupid!!! Who came up with the idea to paint a donkey pink? Why didn't they just get women in pink bikinis or pink tanks and jeans instead of getting a donkey and painting it? For all of you out there defending their actions, how would you like to be a donkey and painted pink and stand there for who knows how long? You people are sick!! Yeah and I'm a member of Peta too!! This was really in bad taste!

Julishaa

I am an animal activist. This was comletly safe. http://www.petedge.com/product/Top-Performance-Hair-Dye-Gels/51763.uts

Clone Wars

Holy ****!
Are you telling me you animal-rights numb-nuts can actually read the mind of this donkey and tell us that he feels "humiliated" by being painted pink.

Holy ****!
Holy ****!

I don't believe I've every run into a larger bunch of retards than you folks. About as bad as when Harvey said his dog felt "humiliated" when he put the dog poop in a see-through baggy.

All you animal retards would have made for a great line-up at Auchwitz. Then perhaps the world would have been purged of your idiocy.

Me

It looks like they shaved this donkey too. I've raised donkeys for years and I can tell you that these animals have pretty sensitive skin compared to all their close cousins. I have no doubt he will have some problems later on down the road.

Julie

Lets get the owner of the Taco place and the owner of the donkey and shave them of all their body hair and dye them pink and put them on a leash in front of a ZOO! Let's see how they like it. Any animal that normally has hair and is shaved and in the sun, it isn't heathly for them.

Gina

What a bunch of *******s I hope they get food poisoning from their own food

dink

the fact that the poor thing is COVERED IN WELTS says it all.. that is NOT NORMAL. CALL PETA! a&&holes.

Muppet

Chaz 5 hours ago
Muppet 4 hours ago

Animals lick themselves and ingest that dye. Alot of people are dying their animals fur for fun, this needs to stop. Ingesting those chemicals can't be healthy even if it's water based.
*************************
If you dont know, dont speculate. You dont know its bad for them, so dont say it is. Simple logic, really.

Read the article, they got it from animal entertainers... so yes it would be safe.

If you wanted to go one step further, you could go look it up on the web, then (for once) you'll have something relevant to say because fact trumps opinion.

____________________

And I should listen to you because...? These people aren't going to tell the truth when people are slamming them for being idiots and using a donkey dyed pink for promotion. If you don't realise that you really need to get a life!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments