'Road Trip' Actress -- Knee Surgery Day Before Death

5/11/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Road Trip" actress Mia Amber Davis underwent a routine knee surgery in Los Angeles the day before she died ... TMZ has confirmed.

0511_amber_davis_EX_Getty_02

TMZ spoke with Mia's husband -- Michael Yard -- who told us the actress went under the knife Monday to correct an ongoing issue with her knee stemming from an old college basketball injury.

Yard -- who was in NY at the time -- tells us he spoke with Mia Tuesday morning and she sounded normal and in good spirits.

However, hours later -- Mike says he got a phone call from Mia's cousin informing him that she was taking Mia to the hospital because Mia had been suffering from a bout of dizziness.

Soon after, Mike says the unthinkable happened -- he got another phone call informing him his wife had passed away.

Mike says he immediately hopped on a plane to L.A. -- and he wants answers ... telling TMZ, "I want to know what happened to my wife."

jxtr

Very sad. RIP.

Ty

R.I.P. This is incredibly sad. I feel bad for the husband.

But of course the doctors will as always be free from any responsibilty for the death, it'll just be "one of those unfortunate accidents". Investigation and if it was negligence prison time. The job that comes with a lot of money and "respect" should also come with higher standards than any other job on the planet, it is about people's lifes afterall. I know of three people that died from negligence and never was anyone found to be guilty of anything of course. F*cking charlatans.

H Lambert

Most likely she died from either a blood clot or a embolism/aneurysm. Very sad and my condolences to the husband, family, and friends.

Patsy

I'm so very sorry this has happened. Your family will be in our
prayers.

mfb

I know too may people who died from knee surgery...connection?

Dana

Yep, first thing I thought too. It happened to my friend. One day I was talking to her the next I find out she died.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Why wasn't he with her at the time of the surgery and recovery? Some husband.

Janet

She had a blood clot.

Jake the Snake

Really sad. The one reason i will not have my other knee operated on. "DVT" for sure.

twilightmom

As an RN in acute care rehab, all of out patients come to us with offers from the Orthopedic Surgeon for Heparin and range of motion machines. We began ROM as soon as they are admitted. This machine constantly flexes and extends the leg, creating easier movement and providing for better circulation.
Clots work FAST. I've seen a pt who was having no pain, great pedal pulses, and skin was nice and pink. Five minutes later, my CNA asked me to come look at someone, that pt's foot was the color of a blueberry, icy cold, and no pulses. She was able to keep her foot because it was caught quickly, but boy can they develop fast and cause all kinds of damage!!

twilightmom

Dang....that should be "....come to us with orders from the doctor".
Wow, oops!

Stephanie

You people are funny. The blood clot theory would be properly called a pulmonary embolism as a result of a DVT (deep venous thrombosis) in her leg that traveled to her pulmonary artery causing difficulty breathing and eventually death. I agree this is the most likely cause of her death from what is being reported.

" Oxy cotton" or as educated people call it, oxycontin, is just plain oxycodone which is the narcotic component of Percocet. There is nothing shocking about a post-op patient being prescribed percocet or oxycodone alone as this is simply a stronger narcotic than hydrocodone, the narcotic component of Vicodin. Either of these meds is commonly prescribed for post-operative pain.

And an infection caused by dirty equipment that traveled straight to her brain is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, pseudomonas related or not. Had this been the case, the sepsis occurring as a result of said infection would have given much more fair warning that something was wrong than just sudden dizziness and death.

Just sayin.

ghfghfg

how devestating!!! :( It is uncommon for people to die of knee surgeries but they should definitely investigate!

Teddi

I lost a love one after knee surgery.....My heart goes out to the husband and family. Sad to hear.

Eva