Dr. Phil -- Free and Clear in Bus Crash Lawsuit

5/15/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Phil McGraw is finally done with the bus accident lawsuit that made headlines a few years back -- and get this ... the whole thing didn't cost him a cent.

0513_dr_phil_TMZ_EX
A bus carrying 19 people crashed on the way to a taping of "Dr. Phil" back in 2007 -- and five of the women on board banded together to sue him and the bus company for negligence.

Earlier this week, the five women settled their lawsuit. According to a source close to the settlements, only the woman who was most seriously injured came away with a nice-sized settlement.

We're told Dr. Phil's production company, which was named in the suit, didn't shell out a dime -- it all came from the insurance company for the bus company.

Cartman

Admit it, Doctor Fool!

You crashed that bus for ratings!

This guy is a criminal.

chefadam

Wow, he's been a douche for a really long time.

Cartman

This old queer has dozens of Ferrari's and all sorts of expensive toys. And he had the nerve to try and get me to be on his show, eff you docta foo.

Justsay Nohan

I need to read the original story because I don't see how they could hold Dr. Phil or the show's producers responsible for this even if they charted the bus themselves. The responsibility would still fall on the bus company and possibly the driver.

Otherwise, it's like taking a cab to go to the store and suing the store owners as well if the cab gets into an accident.

Justsay Nohan

OK, I read the story and it's pretty much as I expected. The women were probably suing the show as well because they figured they'd have more money. The show did charter the bus but they can't be held responsible for the accident unless they can prove the show was willfully negligent in choosing that bus company. For example, they would need to demonstrate that the show hired the company even though it might have been aware of safety or performance issues with said company that could pose a higher than usual risk for passengers. Just saying "your show was the one who provided the bus" isn't enough for a court.

Joao

America, where you get the verdict you pay for.

dd

dumb lawsuit..

kp

thank goodness Dr. Phil can afford to live in his 20 million dollar house and his kid can live in his 7 million dollar house. Thanks big O

Linda

of course he wouldn't pay, he wasn't operating the bus! This whole thing is stupid, the operator of the bus is who is responsible. This makes it sound like he "got away" with something. As much as I hate the man, the jury made the correct verdict

honesty

I am going to see Justin Bieber on a bus. My bus crashes. I then sue Justin Bieber. HUHHHH??????

Puckett

Superman

Yeah, right. The insurance company probably doubled their premiums in 2007 and raised them 10% every year since 2007. His production company probably has being paying for it every month since 2007.

zhi

My best friend ,she just has announced her wedding with a millionaire young man Ronald who is the CEO of a MNC !they met via
---------MeetWealthy.C óM------- ..it is the largest and best club for wealthy people and their admirers to chat online. …you don’t have to be rich there ,but you can meet one ,maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends !
--------The guy is a despicable manipulative phony. He's so transparent i can't believe anyone buys his BS. It's a sad commentary on the stupidity of his viewers.

Cynstriss

Can someone explain to me how Dr. Phil would be held accountable for a bus not chartered by him or his company, not driven by him or his company, and not crashed by him or his company? Was it because the women held free tickets to his show? Seems ludicrous to me.

Cynstriss

Oops, my mistake. Upon further investigation, apparently the bus was chartered by his company. My apologies.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments