« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

The Rock -- Macho Man Was a 'Childhood Inspiration'

5/20/2011 9:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is paying tribute to his fallen friend Macho Man Randy Savage ... saying, the wrestling legend was one of his "childhood inspirations."

0520_rock_randy_bn

The Rock just went to his Twitter page and wrote ..."RIP Randy "Macho Man" Savage - you were one of my childhood inspirations and heros. Strength, love and prayers to the Savage/Poffo family."

Former WWE superstar Kevin Nash has also posted a message ... saying, "I lost a close friend today. If anybody in heaven is wondering who the cat in the ugly cowboy hat is it's Randy. Love you Bro. Never another."

Mick Foley aka Mankind tells TMZ, "Though I only met Randy Savage a handful of times, he was one of my all-time favorite performers ... I loved his style, in the ring and on the microphone.

He adds, "I loved hearing stories about Randy and his wrestling family. From the incredible matches in the small towns throughout the south where he forged a legendary reputation before becoming a household name with WWE, to the tales of even more legendary thrift on the road - that I did my very best to live up to - Randy Savage had a profound effect on me."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Cartman

Dwayne isn't that young.

Jackie

What is that white stuff on Macho's mouth. Rip

mike M - pasadena, ca

So sad about MMan...not that old either. I saw him once, back in the day. A real crowd pleaser... RIP Randy

FreakHater

Jackie, it looks to me like it's his teeth..........do you have hard white things in your mouth?

TMZ dont like me

Man, this a huge loss for the pro wrestling game. They should do a tribute on the next Monday Night RAW...

GBeach

I the great pleasure of meeting him one time. He was signing autographs before a wrestling match. He was very cordial. What a shame. RIP

I am Spartacus

Macho Man is one of the biggest legends in pro wrestling history. Sad day for any wrestling fan or former wrestling fan.

charlie (TIGGER)

R.I.P. RANDY ONE OF NICIEST AND GREATEAST GUYS AROUND YOU WILL BE MISSED

wow

I always liked Randy better than Red/Yellow Hogan.... he will always be my favorite.... RIP Macho Madness..... "OOOOHHHHHHH YYYEEAAHHHH"...

elaine

RIP - He will be missed - Bummer man! A true bummer! Such a personality! He'll be missed.

Jackie

@ Freak....I think my phone is retarded....sorry!...Now i see it's his teeth on pc. Thanks

John

RIP Macho Man. There will never be another one like you. OHHHHHHH Yeaaaaah! Prayers go out to you & family.

Josh (http://www.TheCelebrityCafe.com)

Macho Man was one of the greatest. Also loved his Slim Jim commercials

GOLDENCHILD67

RIP Randy "Macho Man" Savage...very sad when i heard he died..ive got a real empty feeling in my heart..a lot of matches i saw him on were from vintage collection...definetly one of a kind...my prayers go out to his beautiful wife and the rest of his family

BABABOOEY

NURSE: Is he dead, doctor?
DOCTOR: OOOOOOOOHHH YEEEEEAAAAHHH!

(How Randy would’ve wanted it.)

Rest in Peace.