'Grease' Star Jeff Conaway -- Dead at 60

5/27/2011 11:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Grease" star Jeff Conaway has died today ... several weeks after he was found unconscious in his L.A. area home ... TMZ has confirmed with the actor's family.

Jeff Conaway Dead

Conaway -- a notorious substance abuser -- had reportedly fallen into a coma after suffering an overdose earlier this month ... and doctors were not able to revive him.

Jeff's inner struggles became public when he appeared on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" in 2008 and admitted to being addicted to cocaine, alcohol and painkillers.

Conaway -- who played Kenickie during the 1978 film "Grease" -- was 60 years old.

0526_jeff_conaway_footer_v2

Janet

Poor guy. He tried so hard on Celebrity Rehab. Addiction is a terrible disease.

Sassy Cupcakes

This is not shocking at all, I'm surprised it took this long. He acted as if he wanted to die even when on Celebrity Rehab. What a waste of life.

Cooper

Sad

Bobby Trendy

I met Jeff a few times with Lizie at partys and he was always kind to everyone he met always gracious. He will be missed espcially by those that met him in person. Thank you Jeff for awlays being kind to me:)

two cents

Good. I'm seriously glad to hear he finally passed away.

There's finally an end to his suffering and he's now out of pain. We euthanize animals yet humans that suffer, we force them to hold on as long as possible. RIP Jeff.

Canada

Rest in peace Jeff...

the Seeker

Dr. Drew loses another patient how sad ;-(
this guy never had a chance with Vickie around..imo

aquanet

Dude why are you pissed at Dr Drew- Do you honestly think that was Jeff first time at the rehab Rodeo? He's been in and out for year. Give me a brek. He had many many chances without Dr Drew to get his act together. Some people just can't do it and he was one of them

Hopefully he is in a better place and Vikki will have to find a job.

ladani

I hope he's at peace and resting now.

Good riddance!

So it looks like his ex lost the fight to keep him going on machines and the family won. If the reports are correct, he was already brain dead anyway, so this isn't a bad thing. It's a very sad story, but it's exactly where hard drugs can lead you.

Glo

RIP

Barbara

Didn't you know we all really cared....RIP Jeff

Smooch

Breaks my heart, yet I'm glad he suffers no more.

Rhubino

Midnight Toker, I forgot about that scene - good call. If you type "jeff conaway taxi" on YouTube, it's near the top of the page.

Allison

So very sad, now you have peace :(
Oddly enough I just posted a song not 2 seconds ago on fb. Its called Save Me by Unwritten Law.
I posted it for my daughters ex. I hope he finds his way or I'm afraid he is going to meet the same end as Jeff :(