Gay Cop

Fights for Right

to March in Uniform

6/7/2011 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A gay correctional officer is outraged that his department thinks marching in uniform in the West Hollywood gay pride parade is a "discredit" to the department ... and he's taking legal action to fight for his rights.

0607_gloria_andrew_BN_TMZ_06

Andrew Johnson works as a correctional officer for the California Institution for Women in Chino, CA.  He's also a member of the Gay Peace Officers Association.  Johnson asked his superiors at the Department of Corrections for permission to march in uniform on Sunday, but was told he couldn't do it because of a law that prohibits officers from marching in uniform if it would bring "discredit" to the department.

Johnson's lawyer, Gloria Allred, said at a news conference that other departments -- including the LAPD, L.A. County Sheriff's Department and the CHP -- allow officers to march in uniform in the parade.

Allred says the Department of Corrections allows officers to march in uniform in other parades, including the Christmas parade and the Carrot Festival.

Allred says she's filed a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Allred wouldn't let Johnson speak, because of fear of retaliation.

She wants the warden to reverse his position so Johnson can march.

Sarah

Why do people still hire her? Anyone she represents I have zero sympathy for and hope they get nothing.

kp

I thought a cop rode around in a black and white car and carried a gun, this guy works at a womans prison,

Albert D'Orazio

Baby:

What galaxy and century are you from?

First of all, sodomy now means anal or oral rape either heterosexual or homosexual.

Second of all, consensual oral and anal sex (either heterosexual or homosexual) has been decriminalized in the USA already as it should have been in the first place.

Get with the 21st century fools!!!

brea

why isn't there a straight persons parade? There are so few of us nowadays, I'm being discriminated against.

Strunz28

Has anyone ever asked Gloria how much she takes from these people?

dh

Disgusting.

james cole

Myself less than a minute ago
I can't believe 42% said "no". The bigotry and hatred in this world makes it embarrassing to be a human. You hateful imbeciles will get what you deserve ;)
------------------------
@Myself have you ever thought that it is being hateful to not agree with gay life style?

Some of us love gay people, but hate their lifestyle. & I am one of them, and let me tell you why.

I hate the guy lifestyle because for me the bible is the word of God. I do not listen to the word of man (and this is my "choice"), I listen to the word of God. Because for me, Man is a liar-every last one of us, and God is good and faithful.

So, if God commands me to hate sin, that is what I am going to do- I choose to listen to God & not man, that is the choice I am making in my life.

Cromulent

Would it be ok for the guy to march in uniform at a Klan rally?

jane

Police officers are not even allowed to wear there uniforms after work in their car. Unless he will be working at the parade for saftey, he should just wear something else. Just so that he is safe.

jane

cops are not even allowed to wear their uniform in their car after work. Unless he is going to be working at the parade for safety, he should just wear something else. it might be dangerous for him.

Mommabean

WHAT THE HELL DOES WEARING HIS WORK UNIFORM HAVE TO DO WITH BEING GAY!!! HE NEEDS TO GET A LIFE!!

Anonymous

Not sure why people hate Glorida Allred so much. Yeah, she may be attention-whoring, but at least it's usually for a good cause (except when she was representing Tiger Woods' mistress). She stands up against prejudice and I gotta respect her for that.

anna

I think the guy should f... march in any clothing and call it a day. Why the f..ck you have to wear the uniform if the department feels it's inappropriate. Just like there are inappropriate clothes for other occasions, this seems inappropriate for the Police Dept, everybody else has to obey the rules, why is he special cuz he's gay. You wouldn't wear a bathing suit to a formal meeting now would you.

richie

He should be allowed to wear his uniform..Thanks for standing up for us ANDY..18 years 1/w.. Richie...

richie wheeler

I think you should be allowed to wear the uniform. Thanks for standing up for us ANDY...18 years 1/w....richie wheeler