Sly Stone

Arrested for

Cocaine Possession

6/10/2011 9:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE 10:03 AM PT: Sly did not make it to court this morning -- but his attorney did ... and told the judge Sly is currently being hospitalized for heart issues. The judge ordered Sly to appear on Wednesday instead.

Sly Stone
-- leader of the group Sly and the Family Stone -- is slated to appear in an L.A. courtroom today after the singer was arrested for cocaine possession back in April ... TMZ has learned.

0610_sly_stone_EX_01
Stone -- real name Sylvester Stewart -- was arrested on April 1 ... after LAPD officers say they found freebase cocaine on the 68-year-old during a vehicle search.

TMZ spoke with Sly's attorney, James Silverstein, who tells us Stone was riding in a buddy's camper vehicle with some friends  ... when it was pulled over for a routine traffic violation.

During the stop, Silverstein says, cops searched the vehicle and found the coke.

Stone was arrested and hauled to a nearby police station. He's set to face a judge in a few minutes.

UPDATE 10:15 AM PT: After the hearing, Sly's lawyer told TMZ, "The evidence is clear that the vehicle was not his. I believe that this case his highly defensible, and Stewart should never had charges filed against him.

He added, "We firmly believe the DA will lose this case at trial without us having to put on one witness!"

See Previous

Grandma Cracker

Oh no Sly, good luck to you....

geeker

two words: DEAN MARTIN
hope some one helps out SLY... and not celebrity rehab.

((chose to use caps therefore i am))

Mork12

68 and still on the pipe? He'll be joining Gil Scot Heron and the great crack pipe in the sky soon....

Mork12

BTW that pic is hilarious, good job TMZ

artie help

remember when obama said ,"if you like your current insurance you can keep it",how come no one has called him on it and said, but we can't keep our current providers ,now what?????how come?

NightOwl

^^yawn^^

McG

I think he'll get a new batsuit, I think he'll be fighting Bane so hard that he tries to hold in a fart during the whole fight and then Bane punches him in the stomach he craps his batsuit and it smells like poop. Eventually he'll get so sick of the stink from the suit he'll ask for a new suit from Lucius and Lucius will say "why?" and Bruce will reply "Because I pooped my batsuit when I fighted Bane!" and Lucius will say "Dang that's messed up son! What smells down here?" Bruce will say "My POOPY batsuit you idiot, I just told you I pooped it!" Then Lucius kills Batman cause it smells so bad and then the credits roll. END SCENE

BANG!

McG

BANG!

If sense were common everyone would have it.

REALLY? 68?!? It's sleazy & disgusting enough when younger people do it! You're supposed to be bouncing grandkids on your knee. Cut the wild tortured artist crap. Yuck.

MoonDust

I thought this article was gonna be about Stallone for some reason. I don't know who this guy is....

Howie

Loved 'Family Affair' and 'Everybody is a Star' and a few of his songs. He's been smoking weed for many moons. How come Obama and the Olsen twins and Mischa Barton and William Jefferson Clinton and countless other celebrities who were photographed doing weed or admitted to doing weed were never arrested for it? One kind of law enforcement for some and another law enforcement for the rest!

lisa

i thought he got arrested for that clowny wig! LOL

Frank

Forecast: The image looks like Kanye West 30 years from now when no one cares about him or his music, and kids are much smarter than this generation.

Ivanho

A 68 year old still freebasing cocaine. One word - EPIC.

Roman